Bachmann Jubilee

Lochinvar

Benachie, you have done superb cuts to that Jubilee body. Any tips, what sort of saw / cutter did you use. I need to cut a couple of models (not Jubs !).

Brit15

Benachie, you have done superb cuts to that Jubilee body. Any tips, what sort of saw / cutter did you use. I need to cut a couple of models (not Jubs !).

Brit15

Thank you.

Just a Junior hacksaw! But...

Whichever saw you use, cut well back from the final edge and, with extreme patience, file and sand back to the true join.

Using joins at boiler/firebox bands helps to give a precise finish line and also helps to conceal the joins.

I'm really a soldering man so, if I can do this plastic thing, anybody can!

Alan

Edited by benachie
  • Like 1

Almost there with my model of 'Impregnable', but I'm taking a break from it for a bit before it gets a further fettling. One mod I have done on mine is using the newer dome and adding some plasticard inside for additional strength and helping to add a bit to the lower boiler circumference.

Here's some (expensive) inspiration: http://www.brassmast....uk/jubilee.htm

The cab etch is particularly nice and makes a relatively inexpensive option for doing a proper rebuilt 'Jub' using the Hornby 'Patriot' model. Considering the etch is now 21 years old, it still holds its head nice and high.

Available as a separate if you ask them nicely. Usual caveat applies.....

Almost there with my model of 'Impregnable', but I'm taking a break from it for a bit before it gets a further fettling. One mod I have done on mine is using the newer dome and adding some plasticard inside for additional strength and helping to add a bit to the lower boiler circumference.

The cab etch is particularly nice and makes a relatively inexpensive option for doing a proper rebuilt 'Jub' using the Hornby 'Patriot' model. Considering the etch is now 21 years old, it still holds its head nice and high.

Yes, and it even allows you to have sliding windows that actually slide!

Available as a separate if you ask them nicely. Usual caveat applies.....

You may also ask if they'll supply the LFB resin boiler moulding from the "Jubilee" kit - just a thought if you're having difficulty finding an old Mainline LFB bodyshell.

Yes, and it even allows you to have sliding windows that actually slide!

I do hope I can get that effect to work on 'Phoenix', if all goes to plan! :sungum:

You may also ask if they'll supply the LFB resin boiler moulding from the "Jubilee" kit - just a thought if you're having difficulty finding an old Mainline LFB bodyshell.

Great minds here.... I have thought about doing just that, because it'll make the job a lot easier. I shall see how mine looks once it's had a lick of paint, but there is that temptation to make oneself a "Rolls Royce" of a model. ;)

I think Brassmasters would be asking about £30 to £40 for a boiler moulding. I did ask a couple of years ago when they provided me with spare etches to help repair a half-built Royal Scot (their kit) which someone else had ruined.

.....there is that temptation to make oneself a "Rolls Royce" of a model. ;)

Just buy a "Jubilee" kit, then!

Edited by Horsetan

I think Brassmasters would be asking about £30 to £40 for a boiler moulding. I did ask a couple of years ago when they provided me with spare etches to help repair a half-built Royal Scot (their kit) which someone else had ruined.

To give you an idea, the etches for the cabs, which include the whole kit and kaboodle (as you will already know!) cost me £12. I ended up getting two as there were a few imperfections on the etches due to age. I'd reckon the casting would cost something like £20-25, going on how much I paid for a 4F casting......

Just buy a "Jubilee" kit, then!

When the loco is in stock, it's a no-brainer ;) :blum:

Guest Max Stafford

Mine arrived yesterday. Looks good. Now, I'm wondering I'd anybody's fitted a Brassmasters ST boiler to one yet. I suspect it'll be at least five years before I tackle mine if current modelling progress is a reasonable indicator!

Dave.

Just looked on hattons site- drake no longer listed!- Power of Rmweb eh!, hope we got commission from hattons for the sell out!!

mark

I ordered one yesterday lunchtime when 8 were listed as being in stock, I noticed in the evening that it had disappeared from the Hattons site. The Royal Mail delivered it this morning (i.e. less than 24 hours later and it's now being gently (and very slowly) run-in on my Bacchrus rollers to get rid of any tight spots prior to DCC programming at The Laird's on Wednesday.

The problem is, what identity should\ I give it? It comes with a 4000 gallon riveted Stanier tender, which very few of these straight throatplate Jubilees had. Most of those allocated to the Midland Division, including 45659, had 3500 gallon Fowler tenders, or welded Stanier 4000 gallon versions. I assume Bachman chose to put the riveted version on this one because at first glance it could be mistaken for the correct one and they haven't got round to doing a Stanier 3500 job (will they ever I wonder?)

I have a sloping throatplate Jubilee (ex K's kit) with the smaller Stanier tender. Should I marry the K's tender with the new Bachy loco, or will it just look too anachronistic for words?

I have a sloping throatplate Jubilee (ex K's kit) with the smaller Stanier tender. Should I marry the K's tender with the new Bachy loco, or will it just look too anachronistic for words?

Brassmasters do an etched Stanier 3500 gallon tender kit. I have one in stock for one variant which I've tentatively earmarked as 5654 'Hood'. It will be interesting to see how that compares with the Bachmann loco!

Andy

I've managed to convert the ready to run tender to the 3500gal version.

3slices out of the body to preserve the rivets and 2 slices from the chassis to shorten the wheelbase. I've still to finish the chassis and weather the loco.

post-3322-0-49576400-1339975449_thumb.jpg post-3322-0-17293200-1339975493_thumb.jpg

A drawing is available in the RM Jan 1966.

Not as good as a Brassmasters but a lot cheaper.

I used the older Mainline/Tender as I wanted to fit a flush sided tender to my long firebox Jubilee.

I'm also cutting down the newer tender to fit another one as these seemed to be quite common on ex Midland lines.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

brassmaster dones not sell parts of any of their kits as i did ask about some parts for the scot and pat which i want to finish before i start on the jubliee and was told a big NO to getting cab side or boilers so i can't see them doing it for the jubliee which is a shame. is there any other compony which may sell useful parts

brassmaster dones not sell parts of any of their kits as i did ask about some parts for the scot and pat which i want to finish before i start on the jubliee and was told a big NO .....

That's not what they told me, and they certainly provided replacement etches (at cost) for their Royal Scot kit. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Maybe it depends on how you asked them?

• RMweb Gold

i sent a email on friday and had the replay today did you phone? and if so have you there No and do you know who you spoke to? or may be its down to the word replacments as i did not say that just werther they would be willing to sell some parts

brassmaster dones not sell parts of any of their kits as i did ask about some parts for the scot and pat which i want to finish before i start on the jubliee and was told a big NO

That's not what they told me, and they certainly provided replacement etches (at cost) for their Royal Scot kit. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Likewise! John is a very helpful guy and, in my experience, has never been anything other than willing to supply parts.*

Maybe it depends on how you asked them?

More than likely. See above*. Being very precise about what you want (not necessarily why), rather than a vague enquiry, will also get the right result.

Not convinced a cut & shut is worthwhile seeing as the old long firebox looks a trifle dodgy when seen against the new short one. I am sure Bachmann will produce the long firebox version in due course. Did they ever do the 'domeless' Jubilee. ?

"I am sure Bachmann will produce the long firebox version in due course"

Well... If you're really sure, Larry.

Actually, the new short firebox isn't perfect either.

Maybe our cut 'n shut fun will stimulate Bachmann to get the finger out.

Alan

• Like 1

I am sure Bachmann will produce the long firebox version in due course.

They said that years ago and they never have. The fact it's been a poor seller won't have helped. Added to that, its haulage can be best described as "not good".

Did they ever do the 'domeless' Jubilee. ?

Sadly, no. If anyone wanted to do, say, 45662 'Kempenfelt' in early 1960s condition, you'd require her to have a domeless boiler. Likewise if you were doing 5552 after assuming 5642's identity when new.

Well... If you're really sure, Larry.

Actually, the new short firebox isn't perfect either.

Maybe our cut 'n shut fun will stimulate Bachmann to get the finger out.

Alan

I have to admit, having done one of these myself now (I'll put pics up when it's been painted), there's still something not quite right and it's that firebox. Is it down to the old Mainline bodyshell being sized to allow the original chassis/motor in it with minimal fuss or something else?

I still yearn to see Bachmann do the rebuilt pair. After all, it's just a boiler and a bit of cab mods innit? *climbs down from 9th cloud*

• Like 1

Tim,

"Is it down to the old Mainline bodyshell being sized to allow the original chassis/motor in it with minimal fuss or something else?"

The Mainline pancake motor was pretty narrow and the basic dimensions/profile of the firebox seem fairly good so I think it's "something else". The handrail needs to be adjusted, the washout plugs are too high and the ridiculous chasm that represents a join in the cladding between handrail and plugs needs to be obliterated. On the other hand, the firebox/boiler join is much better than on the new moulding.

Alan