HATTONS Websites under maintainence.

Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

Still out - 08.15hrs Tuesday 05.06.12.

Yes, it makes you wonder how much money it's costing them. I had my VISA card out to order a Bachmann Jubilee yesterday. Their website was down, and I've changed my mind.

Good for MY finances, though!!

Jeff

Guest Tom F

Damn Bank Holiday engineering overruns! ;-)

Dave.

It's quite amusing, since Max Stafford mentioned in another thread that the V2s had shipped, I've wanted to check hattons......and can't. Thanks Dave! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Errors occuring all over the place, was just looking up the Dapol MRA's and got all sorts of errors. It may be back up but it is still rather broken...

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they've got real problems as the new site is extremely poor. If you list OO products, for example, it doesn't list Hornby or Bachmann - just special entries only. Same applies if you list all products. And the search option is no better: for a start you are limited to the first 100 entries only. It also appears to be only searching on the first keyword: so try, for example, "Bachmann MK1 coach" and you get 100 results, most of which are wagons.

How long I wonder before there's a button to "click for the old site". And if the search takes too long it times out saying "An error has occurred".

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to know, from someone well-informed, what the motive of the current site-maintenance is. The old site seemed to be working well. So was the aim to enlarge/improve the system or was there a fault not apparent to the customer?

I often use Hattons as a reference site and, as I've said in a previous post, this must be costing them quite a bit of dosh. I like the company and hope they get the problems resolved soon.

Jeff

i imagine that at the moment many conversations at Hattons regarding their website would, if reported on RMWeb, that we would see mainly "##### ##### ########" or similar. Sympathy to them, but wonder what went wrong in the planning.

It's Wednesay, 1:00pm California time, which I think is 9:00pm GMT. It's working one minute and then not the next. And when it does work, it is much slower than before. I even got the "error screen" at one point. Interestingly, when I tried it last night all the pictures of N gauge locos were different - instead of the first one in the sequence of pictures, it was always the second one in the sequence. Now I notice today it is back to the first picture in the sequence.

I agree with Jeff. From my perspective the existing site worked fine and was highly intuitive to use. In fact, its friendly user interface was one the reasons I shopped with Hattons so often. I can only imagine that whatever had been planned did not go remotely as expected, as no normally rational business (and by all appearances Hattons is one) would shoot itself in the head like this.

Hattons needs to get this problem fixed quickly, not just for the lost business today, but for the damage this problem is causing to its reputation as a very reliable and error free site. I don't think I would trust placing an order via its website right now.

I wish it luck and good wishes in fixing the problems quickly.

Matt

I have noticed that for the most they have made a change to how the photos appears (all facing the same direction)give or take a few. I have noticed now on some items there is a PDF file on the item as reviewed by one or more magazines, again this may have always been there but can't say I have noticed it.

Still painfully slow and getting errors, something has to have really gone wrong, hope it is resolved soon !

Maybe its time for people to realise their are other suppliers and in my experience Hattons are one of the slowest to despatch anything or is it just my bad luck. Also I trust people do not order just one item as on many things suppliers who offer post free goods at a higher price are often cheaper than Hattons ie Gaugemaster have the new Hornby SR bogie van cheaper post free compared to Hattons price + £4 postage,

Maybe its time for people to realise their are other suppliers and in my experience Hattons are one of the slowest to despatch anything or is it just my bad luck. Also I trust people do not order just one item as on many things suppliers who offer post free goods at a higher price are often cheaper than Hattons ie Gaugemaster have the new Hornby SR bogie van cheaper post free compared to Hattons price + £4 postage,

In addition to Hattons I have used the Signal Box, Rails of Sheffield, Gaugemaster, and Kernow MRC at various times for one reason or another. Those have all been fine but for shipping overseas, none of those other four offers as reasonble p+p rates as Hattons, nor are they as quick. Regardless of where I shop, as an overseas customer "post free" is never an option!

The bottom line is that over many years Hattons has earned my trust and my custom, which is why I am so pained to see them put that all at risk with this website fiasco. I am genuinely surprised how pear shaped it seems to have got. At 11:00pm GMT (3:00pm California time), it still isn't working properly.

Matt

Archived