Sandy, GN & LNWR, Going Postal.

• RMweb Gold

This evening was spent attaching various whitemetal castings as well as the brake.

post-4738-0-91593100-1523315501_thumb.jpg

All that's left to add now is some detail to the top of the firebox, the drawing from 'The Engineer' shows a tall valve of some description as well as a couple of small pipes and fittings. I'll see what's in the scrapbox to make something up then it's a mammoth clean up of all the solder as well as bending the handrails back into shape ! 

I will look to see where I can add some weight (every little helps) as there is the odd little pocket where a bit of lead can be placed, I'll have to be careful not to unbalance her though as there is quite an overhang at the rear.

• Like 8
  • RMweb Gold

A few changes to the image above.

Some more detail added as well as a pad on the underside for pickups. The only thing left to add now are a salter (?) valve on the boiler and some buffers, I'm sure I've got some buffers but there is a spacial anomaly in the railway room that presents itself as a black hole, things go into the hole and reappear in a different timeframe. So if I've got it right,  just after I've picked up some more, they will reappear.

I have thought that if I just draw them on some paper that will be enough to open the black hole,  but I'm a bit worried that something in the wrong shade of green with a bit too much copper will come hurtling out followed by Mike Trice's tools from his 6 wheeler build that he's missing.

post-4738-0-89125700-1523575284_thumb.jpg

I've just staged it for the piccie as JCL wanted a coin for comparison, so the motion isn't attached but she does go together.....and I've cleaned her a bit.

I'm still in a quandary about livery.  There's an idea that she might have been in a blue like the Caledonian blue and there could be something in this, as at the same time she was built George England was constructing a large order of locomotives for the Caley.  On the other hand 2 others who have both researched the Sandy & Potton tramway more than I have, suggest that she was actually just plain black. Again this could be correct as when she was ordered the tramway was built on a shoestring and the good burghers of Potton (for they paid for it) kept costs to a minimum.  

I can find no reference to the colour in any of the newspaper reports of either the opening of the tramway or the naming of 'Shannon' after Captain Peels (VC) ship by his mother.

She is currently painted red, which is matched to a colour from pre 1922 which was recently found under many coats of green. I'm tempted to finish under the footplate in 'metal black' and to paint the smokebox and firebox in black then to paint the rest in red.

Unless anyone else knows different.

• Like 9

A few changes to the image above.

Some more detail added as well as a pad on the underside for pickups. The only thing left to add now are a salter (?) valve on the boiler and some buffers, I'm sure I've got some buffers but there is a spacial anomaly in the railway room that presents itself as a black hole, things go into the hole and reappear in a different timeframe. So if I've got it right,  just after I've picked up some more, they will reappear.

I have thought that if I just draw them on some paper that will be enough to open the black hole,  but I'm a bit worried that something in the wrong shade of green with a bit too much copper will come hurtling out followed by Mike Trice's tools from his 6 wheeler build that he's missing.

attachicon.gif297.JPG

I've just staged it for the piccie as JCL wanted a coin for comparison, so the motion isn't attached but she does go together.....and I've cleaned her a bit.

I'm still in a quandary about livery.  There's an idea that she might have been in a blue like the Caledonian blue and there could be something in this, as at the same time she was built George England was constructing a large order of locomotives for the Caley.  On the other hand 2 others who have both researched the Sandy & Potton tramway more than I have, suggest that she was actually just plain black. Again this could be correct as when she was ordered the tramway was built on a shoestring and the good burghers of Potton (for they paid for it) kept costs to a minimum.  

I can find no reference to the colour in any of the newspaper reports of either the opening of the tramway or the naming of 'Shannon' after Captain Peels (VC) ship by his mother.

She is currently painted red, which is matched to a colour from pre 1922 which was recently found under many coats of green. I'm tempted to finish under the footplate in 'metal black' and to paint the smokebox and firebox in black then to paint the rest in red.

Unless anyone else knows different.

Brilliant stuff Dave, she looks the buisness well done that man. Captures the prototype beautifully.
  • RMweb Gold

I know they're not the prettiest, the castings look better in the flesh than in the pic but they're 'large' and do seem out of proportion to the boiler but I've checked against the drawings and photographs and they're actually only 98% of original size!

The firebox fittings are taken off the original George England drawing in 'The Engineer',  current pictures show a different arrangement of pipes and valves although one is seated on the original base of the larger fitting.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :blind: ........where's my glasses...

• RMweb Gold

Those fittings do look a little lumpy but that adds to the old fashioned look of the loco.  They may shrink in a sense once a crew are added and a sense of scale introduced.  To me it's the kind of thing that sits a loco in a particular era, a bit like outside frames or intricate lining.  It's looking great so far.

One question (and I hope you don't mind me asking this from the comfort of my armchair) does the left hand side handrail curve upwards towards the front?

Quite often when you copy something accurately it can look odd or wrong, or camera angles etc tend to emphasise things that normally are acceptable or look totally different to the naked eye

Still to the untrained eye its looks perfect, but then I have no idea what the original looked like 

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

Those fittings do look a little lumpy but that adds to the old fashioned look of the loco.  They may shrink in a sense once a crew are added and a sense of scale introduced.  To me it's the kind of thing that sits a loco in a particular era, a bit like outside frames or intricate lining.  It's looking great so far.

One question (and I hope you don't mind me asking this from the comfort of my armchair) does the left hand side handrail curve upwards towards the front?

It does a little, I corrected it a bit last night but I think I've got to do it again, the issue is probably me handling it.

Great work Dave. I struggle to get all the gubbins in a Pacific let alone something this small. 

I wonder if the castings (size) will tone down once in paint or primer? The contrast between the brass and the white metal probably accentuates things.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the castings (size) will tone down once in paint or primer? The contrast between the brass and the white metal probably accentuates things.

I did wonder that,  but they're black in all the photos I've seen and were likely black when built, so it could be they stand out even more if I paint the boiler/cab sheets in red.

The one saving grace is that no ones mentioned lining it .....yet... It's bad enough thinking about all that GN lining to do,  but for the LNWR side I'm thinking of bringing forward the closure to passenger by 100 years and sticking with 'freight only' ...unless Jol has a spare 5 minutes...

I did wonder that,  but they're black in all the photos I've seen and were likely black when built, so it could be they stand out even more if I paint the boiler/cab sheets in red.

The one saving grace is that no ones mentioned lining it .....yet... It's bad enough thinking about all that GN lining to do,  but for the LNWR side I'm thinking of bringing forward the closure to passenger by 100 years and sticking with 'freight only' ...unless Jol has a spare 5 minutes...

Dave,

I've got plenty of LNWR lining transfers, but I think 5 minutes is a bit optimistic. 

Sometimes early photos can be misleading. The LNWR ND Bloomers were green with simple black lining, but that is barely visible if at all, the engine just looks overall black.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of the coaching stock, I've just cast some LNWR sides and ends for some 6 wheelers and I've got a huge learning curve on the painting* of them.  I must visit the LRM stand and look for an appropriate engine for the first on the LNWR roster, again more homework required there.

*Running the layout at night....in December ....in fog... is looking very attractive.

• Like 3

I was thinking of the coaching stock, I've just cast some LNWR sides and ends for some 6 wheelers and I've got a huge learning curve on the painting* of them.  I must visit the LRM stand and look for an appropriate engine for the first on the LNWR roster, again more homework required there.

*Running the layout at night....in December ....in fog... is looking very attractive.

Dave,

I misread your post, thought you were talking about loco lining. MRJ 52 has my article on the "cheat" method for LNWR carriage lining if you can find a copy.

Your mention of cast carriage sides has me worried, are these resin? My experience of cast carriages was of the K' cast w/m six wheelers, not good.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

I misread your post, thought you were talking about loco lining. MRJ 52 has my article on the "cheat" method for LNWR carriage lining if you can find a copy.

Your mention of cast carriage sides has me worried, are these resin? My experience of cast carriages was of the K' cast w/m six wheelers, not good.

Jol

Thanks Jol, I've got No 52, a long time since reading the early ones so I'll have to look it out.

Yes they're resin, I got them when casting for someone, just sides, ends and under frame. 

• RMweb Gold

Construction has finished and I've now moved onto painting and finishing.  I Chemically blacked the motion, frames and underside then masked up ready to paint. It's had a blow over of etching primer and then a first coat of paint.

post-4738-0-38329100-1524179521_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd try a darker red/maroon for just the boiler and cab sheets but I'm not over keen on it, I could lighten the red but I'm not so sure. A friend who has researched the tramway is certain she was just plain black when she was delivered so I may just blow it over with matt black then use some klear.

• Like 7

I was thinking a bright red, like the industrial shunter sort of colour, rather than a maroon. It might be worth trying Dave, as it might be quite attractive...

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Dave, 

I think  that the dark red looks rather good. Is the view of the researcher based on documents or photos? Dark red tends not to show up well in old photos and the loco could look overall black.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Dave, 

I think  that the dark red looks rather good. Is the view of the researcher based on documents or photos? Dark red tends not to show up well in old photos and the loco could look overall black.

Jol

It's all been research text, we have no pictures at all of the tramway or of Shannon before the turn of the 19thC. Even the naming ceremony by Lady Peel makes no mention of the locomotive colour.

The colour is growing on me ...just so long as I don't have to line it.

Speaking of lining, I found MRJ 52 with your article..Excellent!.. lots of info there and avidly reading it.