chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Going Postal.

2 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Maybe there's still a bit of tubing waiting to be inserted into the spectacles to create the rim??

There is.  I don't have any suitable tube so I've been rolling bits of plasticard ready to insert.

• Like 2

Looking good Dave. When you spoke about the body I hadn't realised it had those changes. When it comes to overall length, etc, is the body the right size for your chassis?

18 minutes ago, JCL said:

is the body the right size for your chassis?

It is.  I drew the chassis to fit the Lima body but with the correct wheelbase. It might be possible to fit it to one of the Wills/K's whitemetal J50's but I haven't tried that yet.

• Like 2

Always a pleasure to pass crap on to someone else, even more of a pleasure to see that crap turned into something as nice as this.

Well done Dave!

Andy G

Edit: I was expecting the auto prude to object to crap, but it obviously doesn't!

Edited by uax6
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

Interesting to see the cling film in use as a lining for the mould boxes. Apart from sealing gaps between the bricks, that helps to solve the problem that arises from the need for a smooth flat base for the box which does not conveniently attach to the Lego brick sides.

Isn't the silicone usually the rubber-like mould making material, the final rigid castings being some sort of carbon-based polymer such as polyurethane, polyester, "polyol" (whatever that is), or possibly even epoxy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gr.king said:

Isn't the silicone usually the rubber-like mould making material, the final rigid castings being some sort of carbon-based polymer such as polyurethane, polyester, "polyol" (whatever that is), or possibly even epoxy?

It’s the silicone for the mould that I’m out of, I need to order some more but that means spending money

I use the usual resin for the products

It looks good Dave.

regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Thanks 1

In between appearing in Love Island* I've still been working my way through various projects.

The 'French' Lima J50 has progressed and been fun to work on 

473.JPG.c987bfd36c08fec7bb8d44f0ac2f3bb5.JPG

I've used a Chinese £1.00 motor to power it as there is lots of space inside.  I did have some difficulty with the wheels having a tight spot, but that's more to do with me not having a wheel press and ending up with a pair being a little 'skewed' .

Only some titivating and painting left to do.

474.JPG.32c372555a6d9bd669dc6a22894f6cfc.JPG

475.JPG.5593130715ee316c91adc26e3246d402.JPG

Mike Trice's 3D parts really make a difference to the look.

I've also been casting the Pullman roof's.

476.JPG.bbf18f70ab0019991b4b56a17c175cd0.JPG

And I've made up a mould for the bogie sides in white metal, although whether that is successfull or not is yet to be seen....

And just to fill in some spare time  I put together a couple of GN wagons from Chris Cox at 5&9 models.

477.JPG.801762e16f729b73c4fb5731d90405c7.JPG

They're now painted and awaiting transfers.

Also another diversion but still modelling related, I've been making some baseboards for another east Beds Member (Bern Munday) Bern is a superb modeller but reckons he can't do carpentry. I should have asked for proof before committing to making them but as they're nearly done I'll let it slide..:D

180903994_Bern5.JPG.97d9ce7ce3ed919d5aeaf9ce9a770658.JPG

396334431_Bern7.JPG.fe4eb400ed5c757cd493b844412da5cf.JPG

It'll be interesting to see what project Bern has in mind for the boards.

Some more should follow in the next few days as I work through the current project.

* Love Island...apparently my footage hasn't aired, as sitting at a bench with a soldering iron and a D343 GN Banana van isn't what they were after...I did say that the GN was my first love......Bet they're GW followers.......they look it with all that chocolate colour ....

• Like 12

Nice work Dave decent looking boards too.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Got my J50 chassis out of the packet, thought I'd make a start on converting it to a J6 chassis, axle holes fit no known axles, reread instructions, Ah, need broaches, onto E-Bay, purchased, to son, still waiting ( no rush). Everything put back in the draw...........Sigh.

manna

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Got my J50 chassis out of the packet, thought I'd make a start on converting it to a J6 chassis, axle holes fit no known axles, reread instructions, Ah, need broaches, onto E-Bay, purchased, to son, still waiting ( no rush). Everything put back in the draw...........Sigh.

manna

Broaches?  Not a good solution for opening out bearings because they  create a tapered hole which will quickly wear in use.   Best to use reamers  because a reamer creates a parallel hole of the required diameter.  I have a 1/8th and a 2mm reamer in my tool box specifically for the purpose of preparing axle bushes and horn blocks.  

Regards,

Frank

G'Day Folks

S*#@$&*(%, off to E-Bay, see if they've got any reamers. :huh:

manna

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

Sorry about that Terry, I've had (and got) so many different bearings in the toolbox that I deliberately made them undersize so I could use any of them.  I only initially made them for myself but got so many emails asking for them that I put them on Ebay........Now everyone else gets to suffer like I do...:D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

G'day Folks

I'm wondering if I could 'Gently' drill them out, or wait until the broaches arrive, I was going to use bearings for a set of Romford's

manna

Personally I would wait for the broaches to arrive. You can drill them sure, but it isn't the most accurate of tools. Then again it all depends on whether or not you want to be able to adjust the bearings at all. If you do then you will need to open the holes out so there is a bit of float between the OD of the bearing and the hole and use the rods as a jig. Or just slot them and use hornblocks and jig them with the rods.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

I'm wondering if I could 'Gently' drill them out, or wait until the broaches arrive, I was going to use bearings for a set of Romford's

manna

Hi,

This is all a bit of a minefield.  If you have a lathe you can drill out the bearings,  although a drill tends to leave you with a slightly undersize hole hence the need for the reamer.  If you don’t have a lathe then you will run the risk of drilling an off centre hole which could be out vertically or horizontally or both.  You can eliminate horizontal errors with jigs but vertical errors are harder to resolve.  This is why I build my frames either compensated or sprung because this resolves the vertical problems including those that are associated with plastic centred wheels and the jigs resolve horizontal errors.

In your case, and depending how undersize the bearings are, you may need to start with a broach until the hole is sufficiently large to permit the start of the reamer to enter the hole.  Then finish off with the reamer.

Alternately befriend someone with a lathe. :-)   .

Happy modelling,

Frank

• Like 2

I don't own a broach or a reamer. I seem to have managed satisfactorily so far by enlarging holes progressively using drill bits and (I can hear the shrieks of horror) a slim round file, with guidance provided by straight edges, flat surfaces, a square, comparisons of parts and checks on dimensions.

I'm sure it isn't true to suggest that things cannot possibly be done effectively without the absolutely correct tool for the job, although there are those who insist on spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on "feelgood factor" machine tools and who tell everybody else that they must use equally sophisticated tools in order to avoid producing something inferior and unworthy.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

You have been incredibly lucky Graeme.

A Parallel (not Taper) Reamer is simply a must for anyone building a Loco chassis. You cannot get the surface finish or the size accuracy with a twist drill , they are simple designed to make a hole !!. You can get a good one for about £10.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1/8" parallel reamer on you know where for less than £5.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

Dave,

That Frenchy is looking really good, its miles away from the horridness that I sent across!

Those baseboards look very good too.... If only I had something like that, it might spur me on to get the mojo back......

;-)

Andy G

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

If only I had something like that

I'll send you the sawdust as a starter kit.....:D

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, micklner said:

You have been incredibly lucky Graeme.

By and large, the more care and thought I use, the luckier I get.

• Like 3

I couldn't be accurate enough with drills and files, I have enough trouble with broaches and reamers :rolleyes:

The current coach on the bench (before I return to the Pullmans) is a D343 GN Banana van.  There was only one of them built, so as usual the oddity attracted me to it! These small vehicles are useful for honing my interpretation of drawings and drawing skills for etching (or the Silhouette cutter) but each time I improve one part I get another wrong! 

478.JPG.138aeb3f55110113b986849fed982178.JPG

All of the issues I have are with the bending of the etches, I'm getting closer but there are still some improvements that I can make.

479.JPG.2a5f1c52f5ebfdc7d50c661b9508fac5.JPG

Even with its faults it's a pretty little vehicle.

I have a second set of etches so I'm building those with some small changes to see if the results improve.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6