chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Going Postal.

12 hours ago, gr.king said:

I don't own a broach or a reamer. I seem to have managed satisfactorily so far by enlarging holes progressively using drill bits and (I can hear the shrieks of horror) a slim round file, with guidance provided by straight edges, flat surfaces, a square, comparisons of parts and checks on dimensions.

I'm sure it isn't true to suggest that things cannot possibly be done effectively without the absolutely correct tool for the job, although there are those who insist on spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on "feelgood factor" machine tools and who tell everybody else that they must use equally sophisticated tools in order to avoid producing something inferior and unworthy.....

What may take you half a day to do with your improvised toolkit, would take less than 5 minutes with there correct reamer. 

But hey, if you are happy doing what you do...

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, gr.king said:

By and large, the more care and thought I use, the luckier I get.

A lot of mucking about however !!:D

2 hours ago, billbedford said:

What may take you half a day to do with your improvised toolkit, would take less than 5 minutes with there correct reamer. 

But hey, if you are happy doing what you do...

I must admit that having a range of different tools and jigs does make life a lot easier, as for fitting bearings if using a chassis jig it should keep thing nicely inline whilst solder fills the gaps, but as you say far better doing it the correct way if possible

What can be better than a GN Banana Van.....Eeerrr...2 GN Banana Vans.

480.JPG.03066138901c5219e6e5b5cf74f03899.JPG

I ordered 2 etches and built the 2nd one as well, learning from the first it did go together a little better but does have some inherent faults.

The ends should be tacked inside the sides but I had to fix them on the ends. Although not correct it isn't so noticable on the underframe as I thought it would be.  I have had to make an educated guess on the ducket end as I haven't been able to locate a photograph.

481.JPG.0f257a2e9496195fd0b614087e6d3011.JPG

I can fix the visible fold line at the roof but the bottom one is a bit more difficult, by the time it's painted and 'teaked' it might not be so visible.

482.JPG.fd65386fce45d1e930b281edcbb68fbd.JPG

When the underframe is fixed to the body the gap isn't so bad, but it still might need some attention.

On the whole I'm pleased with it but have taken note of the continuing errors and applied changes to the next drawings.

Much like my school reports ...6/10 Could try harder..

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Did this actually carry Bananas ?, looks more like a Brake van with the Duckets and rear Windows !! Should it have a internal divider ?

7 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I ordered 2 etches and built the 2nd one as well, learning from the first it did go together a little better but does have some inherent faults.

The ends should be tacked inside the sides but I had to fix them on the ends. Although not correct it isn't so noticable on the underframe as I thought it would be.  I have had to make an educated guess on the ducket end as I haven't been able to locate a photograph.

I can fix the visible fold line at the roof but the bottom one is a bit more difficult, by the time it's painted and 'teaked' it might not be so visible.

When the underframe is fixed to the body the gap isn't so bad, but it still might need some attention.

On the whole I'm pleased with it but have taken note of the continuing errors and applied changes to the next drawings.

Hi,

This model is coming along nicely but unless you have an end on photo or a drawing of the ends then I would suggest that windows in the guard’s duckets are far to deep.  

The windows in GN image.jpeg.9665f9503e813fb8fd3cd8ca491b20e0.jpegduckets were much smaller as can be seen in this photo of a preserved coach at the vintage carriage trust on the KWVR.  They line up with the guard’s head when he is sat on his seat across the inside of the ducket so don’t need to be very big.  
Regards,

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're most probably correct Frank. There aren't many photographs of the Van so I used the details in GNRS CSF 06 page 6.18.4.  In that picture it's quite hard to actually see the ducket window and under a magnifier it looks like the size I've made it. I figured that I can easily add some scrap etch to the rear to reduce it, if it's wrong.

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Did this actually carry Bananas ?, looks more like a Brake van with the Duckets and rear Windows !! Should it have a internal divider ?

There was only one of them, The diagram lists it as a 'brake van for banana traffic'  

Any interiors I do in plastic after the soldering is done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The windows in GN duckets were much smaller as can be seen in this photo of a preserved coach at the vintage carriage trust on the KWVR.  They line up with the guard’s head when he is sat on his seat across the inside of the ducket so don’t need to be very big.  

The docket lights were changed from full height to the small square on all GN brakes some time after 1900. 

• Informative/Useful 2

44 minutes ago, billbedford said:

The docket lights were changed from full height to the small square on all GN brakes some time after 1900. 

That's interesting Bill, the van is 1893.

9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Its all to easy to overly criticize your own work. whilst there may be a few errors/differences its probably far more accurate than a lot of kits out there.

A super bit of proper modelling. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Its all to easy to overly criticize your own work.

Thanks john, I just thought I’d get in first :D

Many of us are all to quick these days to criticise others, sadly a modern world trait where we have little time for others. this can lead to some being too scared of what others think to either ask questions or show their efforts

I for one especially after struggling with technical drawing at school am gobsmacked at the skill in firstly drawing up this van, then having the knowledge of what is required to turn a 2 D drawing into an etch that can be built. Then of course the soldering skills in putting it together. Something most cannot even dream of. 

I am quite contented in turning someone else's design and production into a running model. Designing something is far beyond my skill set.

At the moment I am in the process of turning someone's botched/butchered attempt of building a SEF E1 chassis into a working chassis and a test bed for one of Chris' (High Level) coreless motors. But I guess like yourself its something I take enjoyment from.

Keep up the good work and perhaps will see you at Aly Paly

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I for one especially after struggling with technical drawing at school am gobsmacked at the skill in firstly drawing up this van, then having the knowledge of what is required to turn a 2 D drawing into an etch that can be built. Then of course the soldering skills in putting it together. Something most cannot even dream of. 

I've only learnt from others and fudged about with the advice given until it resembles something.  I learn so much from Mike Trice, Frank (Chuffer) Davies and Jol plus a host of others, their work is something to be admired.

Like you I just enjoy the journey, although I much prefer making stock or buildings to locomotives.....and lining stuff...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 13/12/2019 at 12:26, chris p bacon said:

There is a chimney, dome, steps, tank fillers and the boiler underside/front splasher.  These are 3D printed parts and after cleaning them up from the sprue they were fixed with cyano. They fitted first time and make a big difference to the loco.

Hi Dave

Love your work on the J50 - have picked up the Mike Trice 3D printed details ready to affix to my old Lima body.  Your chassis etch is folded up, ready for solder.

Quick question:  did you fit the new handrails and knobs before the 3d printed parts, or afterwards?

thanks

Fangio

2 hours ago, Fangio said:

Quick question:  did you fit the new handrails and knobs before the 3d printed parts, or afterwards?

I had everything here before I started,  I cleaned up the body so it was bare then fitted the 3D parts, from memory I think I drilled the handrail holes before giving it a coat of primer to see what needed filling then fitted the handrails. 

What I like about this is that there is room to fit a huge motor and pack it full of weight so it will pull anything. 

Dave

As you have been a bit quiet posting lately, what is the top secret model/project  you are working on ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been finishing of the banana vans, all done except the roofs which I'll probably fashion up out of some plastic or balsa.  I went to take an update picture last night and got distracted ....

As soon as they're done I've got some Pullman etches to make up as I should have all the bits for them. As well as this I'm trying to tidy the bench and finish off some bits and pieces so that I can have a blitz on painting.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

to tidy the bench

Blimey, the things people do in a crisis!

• Funny 7

19 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I had everything here before I started,  I cleaned up the body so it was bare then fitted the 3D parts, from memory I think I drilled the handrail holes before giving it a coat of primer to see what needed filling then fitted the handrails. 

What I like about this is that there is room to fit a huge motor and pack it full of weight so it will pull anything. 

Thanks Dave

What size wheels did you use - 18mm or 19mm?

cheers

Fangio

3 hours ago, Fangio said:

What size wheels did you use - 18mm or 19mm?

I can't find the receipt but I think these were Gibson 4855J or L which are 4'7" 14 spoke for the J52. 

I like the Gibson wheels for the look of them but to be honest I always have trouble getting them spot on*, these 3 pairs were typical in that 2 pairs went on correctly then on the 3rd pair I got one of the wheels on the 'skew' a little which created a tight spot.  

I like using Markits/Romfords and had BR656XX & BR656XX on the list for this, I might still change them.

*the fault with the Gibson wheels lies with me, I don't have a wheel press but use a clamp I've adapted to squeeze them on

On 21/03/2020 at 07:07, teaky said:

Blimey, the things people do in a crisis!

But how serious must it get before he gets the lining pen out? :)

• Funny 5

I use a pillar drill to fit Gibson wheels on their axles. Keeps it all true. It's a bit of a faff but it's better than using a vice or even a clamp. Of course not everyone has one but hey them's the breaks huh?

Regards Lez.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCL said:

But how serious must it get before he gets the lining pen out? :)

The Black Death... then I might look for the padlock key ..

Unfortunately as a child I learnt to sing the theme tune to the Banana splits show. ....  One banana... two banana

483.JPG.09e825b5d06f327382a684875e509ec9.JPG

They have been desoldered and cleaned since this picture and are now ready for some primer.

All together now....

• Like 9

Now they're very nice Dave.

Regards Lez.

• Thanks 1