Sandy, GN & LNWR, Going Postal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The tablets seem to be working as I've managed to get some time in the railway room.

Tracklaying......continues......will it ever stop.....God i hope so!

About 70% of board 3 is now assembled, painted, wired and now ready to lay.

post-4738-0-90133000-1433845162_thumb.jpg

I'll hang fire with laying it and ballasting until I've got a few more sections made up that cross the board join, that way I can lay them as one flowing length and cut the join when laid.

When it comes to board 2 although it is one of the curved boards there isn't actually that much plain track to do on it as about 50% is pointwork.......I'm still not sure if that is good or bad though....

Looking back down from board 5 over the LNWR, GN and the down yard and transfer sidings

post-4738-0-71264000-1433845178_thumb.jpg

I didn't realise I hadn't got the focus right until I downloaded the camera but didn't have time for another, hopefully though it gives an impression of whats happening.

So even though I have been telling myself that I should concentrate on the trackwork I digressed slightly and built a few whitemetal kits I had kicking about. Sat in the living room with tools and a maglite was a nice change and I might even do a bit more there as there have been no complaints, although next on the list is an N2 chassis.

post-4738-0-44055300-1433845190_thumb.jpg

Cleaning and paintshop but I usually wait until there are quite a few to do.

That's all folks.........for now.....

• Like 18

Late to the party as they say, what a superb layout in the making and in such a good purpose made room. One to follow for me, definitely enjoyed reading the thread from the beginning.

Enjoy !

• RMweb Gold

I'm the first to admit that I'm very lucky with the space that I have, call it a perk of the job. 

If you've read from the beginning then you'll know the rollercoaster that its been with first Peco and now hand built, but even after all this I have to say that this is the happiest I've been with modelling for a very long time.

Took me a while to realise that although I had various ideas and different tastes in locos and stock I found myself the happiest when I concentrated on one specific project, which as it turns out was the one I wanted to build all along. Reading some of the other threads here I find that it is a common theme.

For variety I belong to the local club and there is where I do something different, although it does seem to be weilding a soldering iron for a week after week .....they just feel the need to punish for some reason.. :no2: ....all because I keep trying to convert them to the GN........Midland lovers....Pah!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Believe it or not there has been progress of sorts.

As I enjoyed the diversion of building a few wagons I decided to see what else was lurking under the layout and found a few more, the only thing left for them is the paintshop.

post-4738-0-13561900-1439126160_thumb.jpg

That will have to wait while I finish rebuilding the workshop, then there is a small matter of work needing to be done so I can continue to pay the bills. So they'll be put back in the tray for then.

So back to trackbuilding. . .again . 

post-4738-0-68396800-1439126171_thumb.jpg

the task this time was the sidings at the rear of the yard and next to "New Road", These are on Boards 3,4 & 5 and although I can reach these to place a wagon or uncouple I can't reach it well enough to lay, what will happen with these is that the next board (no 2) will have 90% laid then boards 3,4 & 5 can be seperated and pulled into the room for easier rear access.

So to get to that point I have made a start on Board 2

post-4738-0-74701600-1439126182_thumb.jpg

As this and No 1 are curved boards the template is quite large to lay out so I split it up into 2 smaller parts, the same technique of cutting and sticking the track to the template, then fishplates, spraying/weathering then wiring is the same as before. I'm still happy with progress although who wouldn't want it finished.

Now as I found a diversion from tracklaying was very therapeutic I decided to dig out a silly project from years ago, maybe 10 years ago I found a part built Kitmaster GN Single at a swapmeet or car boot, I can't remember when or where but I do know it only cost me £2. So I've resurrected it and it hit the workbench last night. 

I'll take some pictures of progress. . . assuming there is some!

Lunch is now calling *

* it usually says, "I'm here lardy"  :O

• Like 8
  • RMweb Gold

So as the tracklaying is a bit boring for the odd one or two that watch this thread, I'll show you what's on the workbench.

Found this either at a swapmeet or car boot, can't remember exactly but I do know how much it cost me (it's in the genes) £2, it was just the basic kit which was half done and with a few bits missing.

post-4738-0-85348700-1439215160_thumb.jpg

I took the cab off and I tried to take it back apart but there's no joy there, I had a feeling that it would break and not at the join.

So a bit of ref material although with this kit as a basis it's not going to be a rivet counters dream.

post-4738-0-34583500-1439215175_thumb.jpg

So what I've assembled so far. The kit, some wheels inc the 8' drivers a safety valve cover, a nice and small motor and gearbox I've been saving and a pony truck with the correct wheel base. I still have to figure out the motion and slidebars, I have some parts that might work but I'll sort them after figuring out the chassis.

post-4738-0-90707800-1439215186_thumb.jpg

First up I thought I'd start with the tender. Again it had loose joints but not loose enough to break apart so I reglued them, I then made up a simple chassis from plasticard.

post-4738-0-19276200-1439215199_thumb.jpg

I put some brass bearings in and fitted it inside the tender.

post-4738-0-06630300-1439215214_thumb.jpg

I will add some extra pickups to the tender after I've worked out how to do the locomotive frames.

post-4738-0-49586800-1439215227_thumb.jpg

I've always thought about doing the frames in brass sheet as that is the "expected" building technique but I am going to try them in plasticard, they are unusual in that they have a fair amount of daylight forward of the drivers and may well take a couple of attempts.

Watch this space  . . nothing may happen . 

• Like 13
  • RMweb Gold

So a bit more progress tonight.

First off I decided on the thickness of plasticard for the frames (1.5mm) and then marked out what the wheel centres are supposed to be. I then overlaid the Kitmaster body to see how far out it was. It's actually not that bad and they pretty much line up.

post-4738-0-35218500-1439247315_thumb.jpg

I taped 2 pieces together to mark out then I'll drill them and shape them together. The body has the rear splasher for a 4'7 1/2" trailing wheel whereas I am looking at it representing a Hitchin loco after they were changed to 4'1" so the small splasher will need to be removed. This and things such as removing the moulded handrails will be after I've got a working/rolling chassis. 

So now I'm happy that the body doesn't need shortening or lengthening I cut out the centre section of the moulding between the splashers I also cut off the smokebox.

post-4738-0-86157700-1439247328_thumb.jpg

The inner part of the smokebox has a face to it that needed to be cut out so that the motor I've got will fit.

post-4738-0-33214700-1439247342_thumb.jpg

I chain drilled and filed it 

post-4738-0-26449000-1439247356_thumb.jpg

Then glued it all back together and removed the section of moulding forward of the splashers up to the front bogie fixing point.

post-4738-0-90320100-1439247368_thumb.jpg

I retained the bogie point for now and may remove it but on the plan it looks to be the correct height so may prove useful.

Next job is to mark out and cut the frames, to give them a bit more strength I might include the firebox in them. 

• Like 9

Hi Chris ... er ... Dave(!)

Good to see things progressing (I can absolutely relate to the 'stick to plan' comment!)

Going back up your page a little to #177 (9th June), I spy a rather nice little wagon turntable over on the left hand side of pic 2. Can I ask how that was built please? Was that something Norman did for you or did you make it up yourself (or what?). It's just that I have to make one up for Grantham in pretty short order. I have an idea of how I'd make it but any useful tips might come in handy.

• RMweb Gold

The wagon turntable.

I take no credit for this as all the work was by Norman, When we discussed the spec and what he would make I didn't even realise that it could be made to work.

post-4738-0-21751000-1439280185_thumb.jpg

It is on the LNWR side and sits next to the goods shed, there is a base of plasticard with the rail in a circular base and there is a pivot between the 2. Norman built it so that it can just stay as is or if I want I cut through the rails with a disc and she'll spin!

post-4738-0-85766400-1439280198_thumb.jpg

The area around has been ballasted but will need the ground building up to the top of the sleepers and around the deck.

Not much help I'm afraid, although for me it's a superb detail.

I reckon you've got 30+ days to build one. . . I know that because we are bringing "Sutton" to Grantham and we've put it up for testing.

Look forward to seeing it. . . or where it goes  :mosking:

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks for that Dave,

It's a lovely little thing, isn't it? I think I recognise the Wills wooden planking surrounding it.

Clever little space-saving device, in terms of the prototype design. My problem is that a true 90deg wagon turntable, as seen in a goods yard, would have two sets of tracks crossed at 90deg (ie so when the table was rotated there were still tracks for the line that the wagon had been rotated from - if that makes sense?!) I could cheat though and just use a plain design like yours. Hmm...

Look forward to seeing you in a month's time then!

• RMweb Gold

On the original GN 1911 plan there are actually 2 linked together for transfer between roads.

post-4738-0-23675000-1439283775_thumb.jpg

We left one out as it would of made access to the goods shed awkward if it didn't lock in place, whereas the one can be made to spin if required.

They were most probably for turning wagons before they accessed the shed (doors on one side) but I always thought it odd that it didn't have a road at 90 degrees as there was plenty of space.

• Like 3

It's almost like a Sector Plate, in the way that it forms part of the point; I don't think I've seen anything like that before. The plan shows them as being of the design mentioned in Post 185. Rather than being used to turn wagons, I suspect they served to allow wagons that had been dealt with to leave the goods shed road and pass wagons that were still waiting.

So a bit more progress tonight.

First off I decided on the thickness of plasticard for the frames (1.5mm) and then marked out what the wheel centres are supposed to be. I then overlaid the Kitmaster body to see how far out it was. It's actually not that bad and they pretty much line up.

attachicon.gif107 (2).JPG

I taped 2 pieces together to mark out then I'll drill them and shape them together. The body has the rear splasher for a 4'7 1/2" trailing wheel whereas I am looking at it representing a Hitchin loco after they were changed to 4'1" so the small splasher will need to be removed. This and things such as removing the moulded handrails will be after I've got a working/rolling chassis. 

So now I'm happy that the body doesn't need shortening or lengthening I cut out the centre section of the moulding between the splashers I also cut off the smokebox.

attachicon.gif108.JPG

The inner part of the smokebox has a face to it that needed to be cut out so that the motor I've got will fit.

attachicon.gif109.JPG

I chain drilled and filed it 

attachicon.gif110.JPG

Then glued it all back together and removed the section of moulding forward of the splashers up to the front bogie fixing point.

attachicon.gif111.JPG

I retained the bogie point for now and may remove it but on the plan it looks to be the correct height so may prove useful.

Next job is to mark out and cut the frames, to give them a bit more strength I might include the firebox in them. 

Kitmaster must have used some decent plastic, that you can carve it around as neatly as that all these years after it was moulded!

• RMweb Gold

Kitmaster must have used some decent plastic, that you can carve it around as neatly as that all these years after it was moulded!

Yes, I thought it might be a bit brittle but it cuts and files well and still has some flexibility about it, although I've tried not to push it too far.

Whoever put it together used one of the cement type glues as there are blobs of it inside but they carve away and then I run some weld along the joint.

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

It's almost like a Sector Plate, in the way that it forms part of the point; I don't think I've seen anything like that before. The plan shows them as being of the design mentioned in Post 185. Rather than being used to turn wagons, I suspect they served to allow wagons that had been dealt with to leave the goods shed road and pass wagons that were still waiting.

That's probably the main reason, I'm sure I read that lots of the early LNWR wagons were door one side only, Potton had a turntable on plain track outside the shed just to turn them for the single doors.

There were lots of single door open wagons and Pottons wagon labels show that it was manure in (from London) and potatoes out, same wagon with a bit of light sweeping no doubt 

• RMweb Gold

New to this thread but mentioned to Gilbert on Peterborough that I found a nice photo I think you might like of A3 4474 Flying Fox.

post-126-0-64438400-1439932688_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • RMweb Gold

Your point forming part of the down goods to down main crossover doesn't look quite right <G>

attachicon.gifDSC00020.JPG

Showoff  :mosking:

I just magnified it and it's the Down main, I haven't got that far yet, but when I do you'll find it's curved. Just as the GN intended (I'm trying to get an article in GNNews about it to prove it).

Where did you get that Richard, or shouldn't we ask..... :secret:

Showoff  :mosking:

I just magnified it and it's the Down main, I haven't got that far yet, but when I do you'll find it's curved. Just as the GN intended (I'm trying to get an article in GNNews about it to prove it).

Where did you get that Richard, or shouldn't we ask..... :secret:

I have nearly every dog chart and locking table for boxes King's Cross to Stoke and branches. In this case the S&T were furnished with paperwork for this switch renewal so it found it's way into the Sandy file. I just grabbed this plan last night as it was poking out of the file whilst looking for something on Hitchin South. Should i get the Sandy file out and have a butchers?

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

Where's this?

attachicon.gifDSC00022.JPG

That's the wartime diversion just North of Sandy, it's between Brickhill Rd bridge and New Zealand bridge, it gave a connection from the Bedford to Cambridge to head Northbound, ended up being used for wagon storage before lifting.

There's no trace at all now not even in the embankment shoulders.