chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

I'd say it was after closure.

Yes it is, but pre demolition, I have some lovely colour shots of the station just pre and during the demolition.

Closure was 30th Dec 67, it should of been the 31st but there was no Sunday service, Not closed by Beeching as so many think but Barbara Castle in a Labour Government. Beeching actually spent money on the route (Bletchley Flyover, Swanbourne yard planning) as it made strategic sense.

As the expenditure on Bletchley flyover was part of the 1955 Modernisation Plan, it is probably truer to say that Dr Beeching was appointed too late to stop it! Construction of Swanbourne Yard was cancelled before he was appointed as well, it being clear that there was no possible justification for it in the light of the rapid transfer of goods traffic from rail to road, a process which was only going to be accelerated with the construction of motorways.

• Like 1

I thought that it still formed part of the plan though ?

I have seen a report, (probably the quadrupling of the ECML and electrification in the early 60's, I am using the ariel photo's for that) that showed that although Sandy GN could be closed due to a lack of passenger receipts it was the Oxbridge traffic that caused a problem as it was too much to lose, not so much the local traffic I presume but the through, co-incedentaly it seems that after then traffic was routed away.......or am I being too cynical...

After the Oxbridge closed the GN receipts started to rise, but also by then the cash had dried up.

Local opinion at the time was that there was a lot of 'through' passenger traffic that neither originated nor terminated on the route - so was excluded from income appropriate to the line, a normal BR accountinting process of the time I believe? Also, there was allegedly pressure from the Cambridge University/Mullard obsevatary who quickly established a radio telescope on the trackbed after the line was closed.

Stewart

I presume the reference to "Swanbourne Yard" was referring to the expansion of the then current "Swanbourne Sidings" which opened, I believe during WW II. Interestingly, the current "end of line" towards Oxford is now called "Swanbourne Sidings" which is actually the site of the old "Newton Longville" Signal Box. The original Swanbourne sidings was a couple of miles to the west of this location.

• Like 1

Evening all

Thanks for any information given it really is appreciated. Now I'll update a bit further on how the scenery is progressing.

The main focus for me is being able to run something, I tend to like a train formation such as an A4 on vans (Niddrie goods) Coronation, Elizabethan, Deltic on MK2 as well as such simple things as a Cravens or derby lightweight ( I remember them) but I do realise that without good scenery it would all look rubbish.

Now scenery is not something I think I am any good at, most layouts ended as test tracks for running Parkside vans I have made or loco conversions, as that always seemed more important, but now I am having to bite the bullet and think seriously about how I am going to achieve a realistic look.

I have to think long and hard as this project progresses that if I can't make a good job of it then why bother, there seems no point in doing something half hearted so if something doesn't work I shall take it off and do it again.

So where to start ?

Well the cutting North of the station has the "most" scenery so I thought I would start there.

post-4738-0-96998700-1339089057_thumb.jpg

This is "Alley Bridge" haunt of many a spotter, now this didn't work when i made it, but I know where i went wrong! I shall use it as a former/template in the meantime. The problem I have had is the plasticard has warped on the walkway and so it now looks more like a Pringle, I shall make it again using Plasticard for the brickwork as that worked ok but use brass for the decking to give it some rigidity.

post-4738-0-37999800-1339089073_thumb.jpg

I laid out and marked the area of the platforms, I have used 18mm MDF glued to the board, faced on running side with Slaters, the surfaces at Sandy were Platform 1 - flags platform 2&3 - tarmacadam and platform 4- brick. so everyone is different.

post-4738-0-55317200-1339090260_thumb.jpg

The Potton road bridge was made from Plasticard/Slaters, on the whole I am happy with it, there are a couple of bits that I could of made better but I'll see how I feel when it is painted.

post-4738-0-13241100-1339090288_thumb.jpg

For the "Terra forming" I have used offcuts of Celotex/Kingspan gripfilled to the baseboard, I get loads of this stuff from work, it is easy to work (I have the tools as well) the downside is the dust/shavings, they can drive you mad so what i do is have an El cheapo hoover (Wickes £29.99) running when I cut it, with a mask it isn't a problem.

post-4738-0-31107900-1339090320_thumb.jpg

Whilst I am doing this I don't run anything, as you can see it doesn't take long for me to clutter the boards, after the foam has been shaped i will cover it in Mod-roc bandage.

More to come.

• Like 12

I have locking charts for Sandy and somewhere i have some point plans for the renewal of one of the north turnouts. I have spent many happy hours on that footbridge leading to the hill and on the platforms. Somewhere i have cine film of the old station. I must get it copied.

• Like 1

I have seen some great photos of this location in some of the Frank Church albums. Looking forward to seeing this progress

Paul R

Yes that was the fish train when it came off on the catch points, I think it was Hull traincrew that forgot Sandy was a bottleneck, for days after you would find boxes of fish on your doorstep as it was "liberated"

I have been given a few shots by various people who were schoolboys when this happened and bunked off school with a box brownie.

post-4738-0-05954500-1339184369_thumb.jpg

This is from a friend Tim Webb, this would of been taken just after yours as the 47 has been "righted" and they are preparing to lift it, in the background is the breakdown train with the obligatory Gresley mess van, If i am right I think this was cleared enough in about 24 hours for a service of sorts to run through.

With our lack of railborne cranes nowadays it does make me wonder how some locations would be dealt with, as road access is only partially possible here. This is also the resting place of the class 91 and Mk4 that had the wheel disintegrate just south of the station on the down main, which meant about 3/4 of a mile was relaid in the early 00's (?) because of the damage, So not implausible that something can happen again.

Hopefully I shall sort some more pics for a further update later.

• Like 2

Onwards we go for some more.

I'll come back to scenery when I have found a few more pics buried in the chaos of the hard drive, so I'll give a few details on the station/platform area.

The platforms have had to be shortened by something like 1/4 this means they are about a coach and a quarter shorter than they should be, they can still take 5 1/2 coaches so are workable with any timetable that operated so I settled for this compromise.

I did initially mark them out at full length, but as can be seen when you then add Potton road bridge it would of meant the track radius was too tight and unworkable on the end boards, so I cut it back until I could get a reasonable representation of the look, which it hopefully has.

The platforms themselves are just 18mm MDF with Slaters brick stuck on (UHU), now I haven't started building the station buildings but I need to know the space they are going to occupy, after a lot of faffing about I realised the componant that set everything in place was the footbridge, now here is where I think some of my forward planning has actually paid off. We all attend exhibitions and shows and get tempted into buying something that sits at the back of a cupboard for ages, at the time it probably costs a few pennies but you convince yourself that you need it and in fact cannot do without it. Well for me that was a D&S GN footbridge based on Welwyn North, I spoke to Dan and he put together a kit of enough parts to make Sandy and took something like the princely sum of £30 off me. That was something like 10-12 years ago (at least) but at the time it meant that I had "made a start".

But there was a small snag......the kit with its superb etches and fine detail ........was in brass....b****r, when I solder it looks like a pidgeon has backed up to it and stood around for a while, but here is where RMWeb comes into its own, in this site there are some superb modellers who if induced with the promise of beer, pasties or preferably money will make stuff for you. So I have to thank Mozzer for actually putting the kit together, and a fine job he has done too. I weighed up that if i made a mess of it it wasn't just a £30 kit I ruined, it was a very hard to replace £30 kit.

post-4738-0-98937900-1339197921_thumb.jpg

Here it is, I have kept it on its transport board until I have finished off the platform surfaces then it will be put in place. By locating the bridge I have now been able to work out the position of the buildings, I did wonder that I would have to compress and alter these, but by changing the location of the footbridge steps on the LNWR platform 4 by just 10' (40mm) I can make the buildings as they are and they shouldn't be too big.

post-4738-0-09928700-1339197950_thumb.jpg

When they get built is another matter !, I might just mock something up in card for proportions in the meantime.

I must also learn how to use the camera, bloomin hard this photographing models lark!

more to come

• Like 8

Dave,

super looking footbridge,Mozzer has made a great job of constructing it.

Regards.

• Like 2

With our lack of railborne cranes nowadays it does make me wonder how some locations would be dealt with, as road access is only partially possible here. This is also the resting place of the class 91 and Mk4 that had the wheel disintegrate just south of the station on the down main, which meant about 3/4 of a mile was relaid in the early 00's (?) because of the damage,

It was a lucky escape methinks coming so soon after Eschede. I was involved in the relaying in the aftermath.

• Like 1

Another impressive ECML layout in the making

• Like 1

I was hoping to pop in but we have the Sandy carnival today and as the wife is the Mayor, I suppose i have to attend that, I might try and get over at the end though, just have to see what happens.

I thought is was a pretty good show. Good to see GH and Rev Dawes again.

Didn't make it......had to do my Prince Phillip impression, which is to walk 3 paces behind and say "so what keeps you busy then" whilst the wife (Mayor) judged a skating competition.........great....

Off to the railway room now, I shall post some more.

I'm guessing GH said "the boys mad"

Very nice layout Dave. Always good to see a model of your home station!

There's a terrific photo of an Ivatt 4MT on an Oxford-Cambridge at Sandy in the recently-released Irwell The Book of the Ivatt 4MTs...(I used to spot there during the 70s when not in Stratton)

• Like 1

There's a terrific photo of an Ivatt 4MT on an Oxford-Cambridge at Sandy in the recently-released Irwell The Book of the Ivatt 4MTs...(I used to spot there during the 70s when not in Stratton)

E gods, I was at Stratton from 73 -78. we were the last one's to do the 11+, I used to use a forged note to get out at lunchtime to do a bit of spotting at Biggleswade as there was a regular Cartic at about 1pm on the up with a "foreign" 47 in 76/77/78?

This layout looks promising I think Sandy is great location and have spent many a time waiting on platform there although I can't say the trains going by are as intresting as they used to be. As a hobbit who has wondered from the shire I've been wanting to build a layout based on a sation along to oxford to cambridge line and have considered sandy myself. I must say this great work so far and I shall keep a watchful eye on your work. keep it up.

Well I have finally managed to put some bits together for an update on progress, first though I will show a shot of what I am trying to achieve.

post-4738-0-38461400-1339957250_thumb.jpg

This is 60508 heading North on the down main on the 30th July 1952.

post-4738-0-36225800-1339957287_thumb.jpg

Now this is the same area roughed out with Celotex foam insulation.

post-4738-0-61163600-1339957312_thumb.jpg

And after application of ModRoc type bandage, there is still abit more sculpting to do with some plaster (well actually it's left over dry wall adhesive, waste not want not!)

post-4738-0-59017300-1339957337_thumb.jpg

This is looking at the (wonky) Alley bridge, a visitor remarked that it was too tall but as the Oxbridge incline has been somewhat shortened if I lower it over the main there will be too big a step over the branch, so when it is remade i will keep these proportions, as i think they are the better of the two.

post-4738-0-46535600-1339957366_thumb.jpg

Again after the bandage has been applied.

post-4738-0-73988200-1339957390_thumb.jpg

Finally this is the North side of Alley bridge looking at Cambridge road bridge, still more to do here.

More to come.

• Like 9

Looking good an ambitous project which are carrying off well,snow in Beds I see!!!!!

• Like 1