chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

G'Day Folks

The geared motors arrived today, and it runs at about 4,000 revs, I say about, as I lost count at about 3,251, I think these would come from 'Drones, being so fast, I also ordered the bevel gears, but they wouldn't post to OZ, but free post to the UK ??, I'll just have to wait until my Lad sends them over with the rest of my 'Goodies', which includes a 0-8-2 chassis, I wonder what I can use that for !!

The 'Pic' below, will give you an idea of the size...

manna

where did you source your gears from? I'm just about to order some of these motors.

Looks excellent, Dave.

Sorry to go back a few steps but when you formed the tender flaring bend did you do it with bars or by some other means?

Looks excellent, Dave.

Sorry to go back a few steps but when you formed the tender flaring bend did you do it with bars or by some other means?

When I drew the first Little England I did the flared tops separately, but these were very fiddly so for this version I did the bunker as a fold up and added the sides. 

post-4738-0-88906000-1541668563_thumb.jpg

The rear was separate and included a half etch tab to locate it. These are very small (just a couple of mm high) and I found the only way to bend them was by using a pair of pliers and rolling the part against a flat edge, I kept moving the pliers so that it didn't bend it too sharply. I hope this makes some sense to you.

I've got some rolling bars but these just wouldn't fit in them.  

• Like 4

Ahh ebay. Thank God for ebay. Whatever did we do b4 ebay. 

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1

Yes yes I know ! We went, of course, to the model shop. Bet you couldn't buy miniature beveled gears there could you? At a pinch you might have found crown wheels and pinions and if you were really lucky mechano gears. If it was beyond a run of the mill model shop you might have had a meager selection of gear boxes and motor mounts, but it would be slim pickings indeed.  Now you just log on to ebay and your every hearts desire is only a click away and isn't it funny how Mr Chan's obscure back street wholesale outlet in Shanghai can get stuff to you quicker than someone from Sheffield can and for a tenth of the price too. Oh it is a two edged sword I grant you but THANK GOD FOR EBAY!!!

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01

When I drew the first Little England I did the flared tops separately, but these were very fiddly so for this version I did the bunker as a fold up and added the sides. 

attachicon.gif367.JPG

The rear was separate and included a half etch tab to locate it. These are very small (just a couple of mm high) and I found the only way to bend them was by using a pair of pliers and rolling the part against a flat edge, I kept moving the pliers so that it didn't bend it too sharply. I hope this makes some sense to you.

Thanks. Must have been really fiddly, I can see how small it is on the etch.

attachicon.gif367.JPG

Aha - good to see.

I think I'm now on the home straight with this build. This evening was spent shaping and fixing the cab sheet, a little tricky but rewarding.

attachicon.gif365.JPG

After this I fixed the buffer extensions and the stays, these are yet another patience tester but I couldn't really leave them off, luckily I added extra to the etch as they pinged off in a couple of directions !

attachicon.gif366.JPG

Some firebox fittings, boiler dome/valve & steam pipes are next.  I etched some brake gear but it looks like I'm unable to add it due to the motor, it was only on the driver and a single block at that, so I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

Dave

Looking extremely promising, something about hand built locos in the raw which looks very exocit 

• Like 1

I searched hgh and low for the chimney and dome last night...seems I didn't order a set, so a visit to the memory clinic might be on the cards sooner than I think.

A set now ordered from Shapeways, although their new pricing structure means a visit to the Cardiac dept might be sooner! Still a few things left to do before they're required so shouldn't hold it up (too much)

A few more detail parts added this evening.

On the boiler there are the steam pipes from the dome to the cylinders, I wrapped a piece of 1.2mm brass tube around the boiler and soldered it on. The dome will be fitted around this, as I thought this the easiest way rather than cut 2 seperate pieces and fit them after the dome.

post-4738-0-57476300-1541895952_thumb.jpg

There is also some .5mm wire from firebox to steam pipes to replicate the regulator linkage.

post-4738-0-51779400-1541895963_thumb.jpg

I await the 3D parts and I need to go through the parts box to see if I've any buffers I can use.

I really should take pics after I've cleaned it with Shiny Sinks as it looks a bit cruddy in these. 

• Like 9

The next parts to fit were the 3D printed Chimney, Smokebox door & Dome.

Starting with the chimney, the parts themselves can be a little fragile and in the case of the chimney especially so as it is a lot taller than later locomotives. To give it some more strength I designed it as a tube so that a rod could be passed down it and soldered to the base of the smokebox.

post-4738-0-71848000-1542326615_thumb.jpg

When this was done the chimney was slid over the rod and epoxied in place. I could have used superglue but I chose 5 minute epoxy so I could wipe some around the base of the chimney inside the smokebox, it is also a little more flexible that cyano.

post-4738-0-70086100-1542326624_thumb.jpg

Next was the smokebox door, this has a very shallow curve to it so bending the hinge and dart around it was easy. I had already assembled the hinge onto a piece of rod and soldered them together, next I drilled a small hole in the door centre so the rod aligned it and then epoxied it all to the front.

post-4738-0-85404200-1542326633_thumb.jpg

Lastly there is the dome which I have epoxied to the boiler and filled around the pipework.

I'm nearly at the end of the build with just a little more to come. . . .then it's painting.

post-4738-0-71848000-1542326615_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-70086100-1542326624_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-85404200-1542326633_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

With all the parts now fitted I managed to get a coat of etch primer on this evening.

post-4738-0-67884100-1542500616_thumb.jpg

This has shown up some places that need a bit more cleaning and filling and it's also shown that there is a bit too much dust floating around in the workshop!

post-4738-0-91625600-1542500629_thumb.jpg

I've now got to figure out a colour scheme. It's likely that it was in something resembling CR blue, but I'm guessing the smokebox & fire box were black and the dome was polished brass.

post-4738-0-67884100-1542500616_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-91625600-1542500629_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I use a spray booth I got on eBay Dave. Not a lot of money either around the 50 quid mark. Once done it goes into a plant propagator which goes into the airing cupboard for at least 24 hours. Almost zero dust.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2

Dave

Looking very impressive, dust in the workshop is a sign of working

How good is the etched primer, I have a couple of etched body kits nearing the painting stage and have run out of grey primer

The primer is Halfords etching primer and I find it very good.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/primer/halfords-etch-primer-500ml

The dust in the workshop is because I have woodworking machinery which is used nearly every day, it produces copious amounts of dust and I've upgraded the dust extractor but I need to create an area within it which is easier to keep clean.

I'll now use some Halfords filler primer to give it a better finish.

With all the parts now fitted I managed to get a coat of etch primer on this evening.

attachicon.gif373.JPG

This has shown up some places that need a bit more cleaning and filling and it's also shown that there is a bit too much dust floating around in the workshop!

attachicon.gif374.JPG

I've now got to figure out a colour scheme. It's likely that it was in something resembling CR blue, but I'm guessing the smokebox & fire box were black and the dome was polished brass.

Hi Dave,  'The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding' (I've recently bought a copy of the 1971 reprint) describe the Little England at the 1851 Exhibition as being 'Royal blue with her copper sheathed haycock, brass smaller dome, brass bound splasher and other bright fittings', as well as printing a side elevation - a bit too late here though. Sounds a pretty engine, but doesn't mention any lining. As you say, the Caledonian livery would suit her a treat. Excellent build, by the way. I don't know if you're aware, but the Sandy and Potton had hired 2 coaches from the GN, and the HMRS journal from some time ago carried drawings of the a pair from the same era, as built by the GN for another private railway of this time - Lord Willoughby's railway. If you haven't got the issues, I could scan and PM the article to you if you like though I think it would be more watch-making modelling. Regards, Julian

Many thanks Julian, I would appreciate the scans if you get time.  Must also say a huge thanks for the info you provided first time around, invaluable and wouldn't have been possible without your contribution. 

At this moment in time I'm having some GN 4 wheelers etched, these are partly to prove my drawings work and they go together, but they are a little too 'new' for the S&P by 15 years and 40 years. I have some other drawings from the era but they are definately not of the design that would have been used by the S&P.

Edited by chris p bacon

Some more tidying up this evening with some filler primer.

post-4738-0-62094800-1542587512_thumb.jpg

The camera is much harsher than my magnifier and shows up a few spots I thought I'd dealt with, at this rate It'll have an inch of filler in places!

post-4738-0-30115900-1542587521_thumb.jpg

I'll pick up some paint at Warley for the CR blue, brass & copper (if I haven't got any in stock)

• Like 8

G'Day Folks

What about a spot of BR Rail Blue, with double arra's of course.

manna

Deleted 

OOP'S

Edited by manna

G'Day Folks

What about a spot of BR Rail Blue, with double arra's of course.

manna

Just saying it twice does not mean it is more likely to happen

Richard

That is a magnificent piece of modelling! I must get on with Shannon so I can do one of these to go with it, I never realised that was a cab front sheet in the photo of Dwarf

• Like 1