chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

...and to think it's my birthday sometime later this year.

It's SWMBO's birthday in a month - do you think I might be able to get to the Biggleswade show with the excuse of looking for her birthday present there? 

It's SWMBO's birthday in a month - do you think I might be able to get to the Biggleswade show with the excuse of looking for her birthday present there? 

There'll be cake....

I waited and waited to be treated...... but I still didn't see your wallet either....and to think it's my birthday sometime later this year.

Good to see you again John,  I'll pick something up to stand her on ..or run..

I took my Springside autotank to the club last night, there is something about the shear mass of 7mm which the smaller scales fail to capture.

There'll be cake....

Dave,

I note the show is not mentioned in the latest RM, unlike last year.

Regards,

Barry

Dave,

Regards,

Barry

Shhh, Barry - don't go telling everyone or there won't be enough cake to go round. 

Dave,

Regards,

Barry

The show is on Feb 16th at Stratton school (usual venue) and will open at 10am until 4.30 pm (note the slightly earlier opening time) Full details are on the club website

http://www.ebmrs.org.uk/show.shtml

Next months Railway Modeller has 'Little Salkeld' as a feature layout, this was built by club member Paul Moss (paulontheball here) and photographed by Tony Wright and can be seen at our show. The RM should be out just beforehand giving a taster of it.

Shhh, Barry - don't go telling everyone or there won't be enough cake to go round. 

Oh there will, The Quartermaster has already issued baking instructions to the unwary. I'm thinking of supplying one made from a Terry Pratchett recipe and marketed by 'Cut me own throat dibbler' made from the finest sweepings, gristle and hair.....should be memorable.. 

The last few evenings have been a slow descent into madness....I tackled the motion  :crazy:

It's taken approx 8-10 attempts to get enough clearance behind the crossheads.

post-4738-0-98291000-1547683422_thumb.jpg

In no particular order I've slimmed the rods, turned the crankpins around, filed the bushes to within a thou of a gnats pub1c* hair, countersunk the rear of the crossheads and generally sworn a lot, but eventually it turns nicely without any clashes.

post-4738-0-84165300-1547683432_thumb.jpg

There is now a lot of swarf on the bench but at least there's progress. I'll fit the motor next and see how she runs then take it apart to chemically blacken the motion gubbins as I think it will look better than paint.

Edit....* that fooled the censor!

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 11

The last few evenings have been a slow descent into madness....I tackled the motion  :crazy:

It's taken approx 8-10 attempts to get enough clearance behind the crossheads.

attachicon.gif390.JPG

In no particular order I've slimmed the rods, turned the crankpins around, filed the bushes to within a thou of a gnats pub1c* hair, countersunk the rear of the crossheads and generally sworn a lot, but eventually it turns nicely without any clashes.

attachicon.gif391.JPG

There is now a lot of swarf on the bench but at least there's progress. I'll fit the motor next and see how she runs then take it apart to chemically blacken the motion gubbins as I think it will look better than paint.

Edit....* that fooled the censor!

Looking at the chassis, you could consider a spacer between the coupling and connecting rod

Looking at the chassis, you could consider a spacer between the coupling and connecting rod

Thanks John, Yes there is one to go on, I was just checking the clearance behind the crossheads.

I started wondering if I'd ever actually completed the 4mm model or whether it was just some sort of mirage, although on paper it would seem easier in 7mm the reality is that the crankpins and nuts etc are just as big and the same problems ensue.

I've not had quite as much time as I'd like at the bench (digging service trenches by hand ...god I ache) but at least now the chassis and motion work. Either I'm getting better or someone else came in and worked on it when I was out, as it only took 2 attempts to get it running nicely. 

post-4738-0-05695500-1548237549_thumb.jpg

There isn't too much to add to the chassis (brakes and some pipework) so I'll try and finish that off and blacken the parts that aren't going to be painted, then it's the body.

• Like 9

I managed to get more done this evening. The rear buffer beam was fitted followed by the rear cab sheet so the next logical step was the handrails.

post-4738-0-73717400-1548289833_thumb.jpg

For the 4mm version I found some Markits very long handrail stanchions that were just about perfect,  I couldn't find them in 7mm so I picked up some handrail knobs and brass tube from Hobby holidays and made my own.  

I picked a tube which was the same size as the peg of the  HR knob and reamed it out, I filed down the peg of the HR knob to a tight fit and tapped it in. I have some slightly larger tube which would have been easier, but it would have been too overscale.   To help locate the tube there is a small hole in the footplate, I pushed a length of .45 NS wire through into the tube and soldered it from the bottom, a small dab at the top, on the rear, fixed them in place.  The handrail is .55 NS.

The rear handrail is the next job followed by.....not sure yet....

• Like 5

The rear handrail is the next job followed by.....not sure yet....

Quivering in the corner of the room? It's looking fantastic Dave.

Quivering in the corner of the room?

Nope, the meds deal with that, although there's nothing to stop the dribbling..

It's interesting, because as you say, it's no easier to build than the 4mm one because proportionally the clearance is the same.

The last of the cab handrails were fitted this evening then attention turned to the cab. I found a (reversing?) lever and frame on Alan Gibsons stand at Warley as well as some suitable buffers, the brake stand was made from various sizes of brass tube, the hand wheel was on the fret. 

post-4738-0-37344500-1548377350_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure yet where to fit the buffers, when built the simple line drawing shows them on the buffer beam, but at some time in her life she gained the plate extensions that raised them to what we see now.  I think I'll have to assemble her and see how they look before hitting them with the iron.

• Like 5

I've been crossing things off the list of jobs to do and lucklily the list gets shorter, there are some 3D parts to attach such as the smokebox door and valve but I want to have all the soldering out of the way before doing so.  

Casting my eye over the boiler/body I think there is just the injector valve to make up and attach and on the cylinders some rod and tube for detail.  The problem I could easily have with 7mm is I think I could get carried away adding bits ! 

Here she is ready for another clean.

395.JPG.f859ea5d59c353cb6465ec6d142e769e.JPG 

396.JPG.5f19795346c7cc5ef8f7154e38f12572.JPG

397.JPG.f560bd251d00e7fc8ddf1dee90118551.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Dave

Looking to be a bit of a master piece, how can you not fall in love with the scale ?

34 minutes ago, hayfield said:

, how can you not fall in love with the scale ?

Easy.....the cost :D

Looking mint Dave. Can’t wait to see it running on your 7mm track ;)

cheers

But within the same space you need less items !!

I wager you will eventually give in, simply because the loco looks too good to do nothing

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

But within the same space you need less items !!

I wager you will eventually give in, simply because the loco looks too good to do nothing

She does look good and I'm very happy so far....but all that GN stuff would cost a fortune in 7mm,  for example there's a (4mm) 2-4-0 on the bench as well at the moment....that'll appear in the near future.

I'd also need a 44' long room......mind you.. who actually needs a dining room and living room when there's a perfectly servicable kitchen and utility room.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

She does look good and I'm very happy so far....but all that GN stuff would cost a fortune in 7mm,  for example there's a (4mm) 2-4-0 on the bench as well at the moment....that'll appear in the near future.

I'd also need a 44' long room......mind you.. who actually needs a dining room and living room when there's a perfectly servicable kitchen and utility room.

With suggestions like that, you won't be bacon - you'll be toast!

• Funny 3