chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Cracking those Dave.

Top modelling.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2019 at 09:49, chris p bacon said:

l've managed to make more progress on the 7mm Shannon. She now sports a coat of paint and I've picked out some of the 'brightwork'  I sprayed the black but ended up having to brush the red as there are too many nooks and crannies to fill when masked up.  Again the camera is quite harsh and It actually looks better in the flesh. I have some crew to fit along with a few tools and will assemble her.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_04/406.JPG.3050d39efba2da8d3a667aad49cccaf6.JPG

I also picked out some of the details on Dwarf while the brush was out, For the boiler and body I used a Tamiya blue which is probably darker than that mentioned in the description of her, but I like it. For this one I have to find a crew. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_04/407.JPG.c08eeea3d09ccda1eec77b9e040b8e77.JPG

I doubt I will weather these as they're a couple of one off's ......with another to follow...

There are some other items crossing the bench which might be of interest and I'll show these in due course (that means when they're working!)

I think I speak for everyone when I say Dwarf is the absolute bees knees,  I haven't forgotten about having one off you if it suits ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Killian keane said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say Dwarf is the absolute bees knees,  I haven't forgotten about having one off you if it suits https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink3.gif

I've got a spare etch for Dwarf as well as the 'rebuilt' Little England.....somewhere...

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Having seen it in the brass, I can honestly say it looks brilliant - has some weight to it as well.

J

It's lined now......I'll even post a pic..taken from a distance though.

• Like 3

I thought I'd taken a piccie of Shannon (lined) to show she's finished, but can't find it on the phone....you'll have to take my word for it.

So now it's back to normal on the bench, first up is something that's been on and off of it over the last couple of weeks as I tried various methods of drive train. It's a Dick Kerr railcar that was delivered to the GN and worked in the Hatfield area.

408.JPG.a4863ad74792bd1638a12a7517371959.JPG

The 3D design was done by JCL (it's become a labour of love for him....) and I was lucky enough to get one. 

409.JPG.961904463c408bbeafba92c4ce63e17f.JPG

The external bodywork is just about done ( requires buffers and coupling) but there is no interior. 

410.JPG.d1e8401d3609e869adc680486819d7c5.JPG

The drive is another N20 motor with a couple of bevel gears, not the prettiest work I'll admit but better than the previous 3 versions ( twin worm & gears, single worm & gear, belt drive) I've tried it on a 6V battery and it's a nice little runner.

411.JPG.027c470f1282207f79b14b5bd00c2708.JPG

I have to make an interior so I've started with a baseplate to disguise the motor. The cabs and seats are very simple so will be made from strip etc.

There is another railcar I'm working on and I'll do the interiors at the same time, a few more things to do to the underframe and I'll take some pics for posting.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Folks

Brilliant railcar, I'd even call it 'Cute'

manna

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I thought I'd taken a piccie of Shannon (lined) to show she's finished, but can't find it on the phone....you'll have to take my word for it.

So now it's back to normal on the bench, first up is something that's been on and off of it over the last couple of weeks as I tried various methods of drive train. It's a Dick Kerr railcar that was delivered to the GN and worked in the Hatfield area.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/408.JPG.a4863ad74792bd1638a12a7517371959.JPG

The 3D design was done by JCL (it's become a labour of love for him....) and I was lucky enough to get one. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/409.JPG.961904463c408bbeafba92c4ce63e17f.JPG

The external bodywork is just about done ( requires buffers and coupling) but there is no interior. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/410.JPG.d1e8401d3609e869adc680486819d7c5.JPG

The drive is another N20 motor with a couple of bevel gears, not the prettiest work I'll admit but better than the previous 3 versions ( twin worm & gears, single worm & gear, belt drive) I've tried it on a 6V battery and it's a nice little runner.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/411.JPG.027c470f1282207f79b14b5bd00c2708.JPG

I have to make an interior so I've started with a baseplate to disguise the motor. The cabs and seats are very simple so will be made from strip etc.

There is another railcar I'm working on and I'll do the interiors at the same time, a few more things to do to the underframe and I'll take some pics for posting.

Wow that's great. Yes it is cute and am I right in saying its the same as a couple supplied to the LB&SCR. If so I want a couple for my proposed attempt at building a bit of the LB&SCR Overhead electrics. Two where used for overhead maintenance.

Keith

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Wow that's great. Yes it is cute and am I right in saying its the same as a couple supplied to the LB&SCR. If so I want a couple for my proposed attempt at building a bit of the LB&SCR Overhead electrics. Two where used for overhead maintenance.

Keith

The Dick Kerr railcar first came to our attention when a lovely photograph was published in Great Northern News (The GNRS members publication) this caught the attention of  some of us and eventually Jason succumbed to its charms and fired up Blender.  During research Jason did get some info from a member of the LB&SCR  society as that's where the railcars ended up. 

4 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Brilliant railcar, I'd even call it 'Cute'

manna

If you think this is cute you wait till you see the other railcar.....

• Like 2

G'day Folks

The 'OTHER' railcar,................B****r, I won't sleep tonight. :wub:

manna

30 minutes ago, hayfield said:

You kept this one quiet, lovely job 

The reason it's a ;lovely job is because it's not one of mine :D    Jason has done all the hard work of research and design...he just hasn't got one moving yet...

29 minutes ago, manna said:

The 'OTHER' railcar,

It redefines cuteness to an unachievable level....and surpasses it..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Dave

I have a High Level Pacemaker gearbox I plan to try out on a MTK Bristol Railcar I have, no idea if its of use with these

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/pacemakerpage.html

Now he shows me...:sorry:

I'd completely forgotten about the HL box. Although I have to admit that mine cost £2.90 for the motor and approx 20p for the gears. The HL will be a lovely runner but for the use this will get it's probably a bit too much to spend on a 'it was passing through on the way to works' 

• Like 2

That's a cracking railcar, lovely job, really crisp detail. The gears  at 20p look a bargain,  are they ebay? 

Its a nice wee thing, and I like the idea of running the pick-ups on the outside of the wheels....

What colour is it going?

Andy G

25 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

That's a cracking railcar, lovely job, really crisp detail. The gears  at 20p look a bargain,  are they ebay? 

Yes they are, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-Plastic-Bevel-Gear-Right-Angle-Drive-Plastic-Gears-16T-Hole-2mm-Toy-DIY-/161667623061?hash=item25a4242895

I was incorrect saying 20p...it's actually 16p a pair.

14 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Its a nice wee thing, and I like the idea of running the pick-ups on the outside of the wheels....

What colour is it going?

Andy G

He Lives!..where have you been....we haven't missed you (well that's what Jason says)  just curious....

Looks like it's going to be teak coloured/teaked. The pick ups are quite long so they wander between the tyre face and side but as it's 3D it doesn't matter if they touch the body.

• Like 2

I thought for a moment that you where going for split insulation on the wheels, an insulated disc on one side and a all metal one the other, with one pickup resting on the end of the axle.....

I know you have both really missed me, I've been here, but with no mojo to do anything ;-{

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 1

How about something cute to bring the mojo back....

A NER petrol inspection railcar....ta da...

412.JPG.96c723a29ca3aac19e3b16c2bfd7dc55.JPG

This was something that came about after Mike Trice shared a photograph of one and it piqued our interest. I'd never seen one before nor had Jason (JCL) but he thought the shape of it might be a good exercise to trial some techniques in Blender.  The design bounced back and forth between Jason and Mike and this is the result. 

413.JPG.464157d5187efcbe009102ed9cc9af4e.JPG

414.JPG.852dbaa3c3f527a4a849feeea3680a05.JPG

Now they've done the really skilled bit it ended up on the bodging bench, where a Heath Robinson drive was put together from the scrap parts a Dalek didn't want.

415.JPG.406a420332d6b47837536d05bd422b4d.JPG

Another of the N20 motors (2000rpm) with a brass coupling and some plastic worms. The prototype stands quite tall on the axles with a lot of air underneath so a bevel gear drive was ruled out. The plastic gears are ok but there is a bit of backlash with them but unfortunately I don't have any brass ones small enough for a 12mm wheel.

416.JPG.c5d926cf7e286be7ef63fc0fc0747cf2.JPG

Now it works I will add some axleboxes etc to the underframe, I'll also think of something to contain the wipers as I'd like to keep them on the tread (yes it's come off!)

• Like 12

On 02/05/2019 at 01:14, chris p bacon said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/409.JPG.961904463c408bbeafba92c4ce63e17f.JPG

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/410.JPG.d1e8401d3609e869adc680486819d7c5.JPG

Hello Dave

The railcar looks good!

I too have acquired the motors/gearbox and the bevel gears. A question, if I may? How do you drill out the bore on the bevel to go over the motor output shaft? So far the thought of doing that has put me off using my bargain gears!

Thanks

Jon

How about using a phosphor bronze strip material for wiping which should prevent the sideways motion? Better and easier might be to reduce the length of the n/s wipers by having attachment points much closer to the wheels.

Dave

• Agree 1

G'day Folks

Another little ripper, so small, you'd lose them on a large layout !

manna

• Like 1

I like those rail cars, Dave. Are the bodies commercially available? I notice that you've said they're from JCL but is that a manufacturer, an RMweb member or whatever?

2 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

Hello Dave

The railcar looks good!

I too have acquired the motors/gearbox and the bevel gears. A question, if I may? How do you drill out the bore on the bevel to go over the motor output shaft? So far the thought of doing that has put me off using my bargain gears!

Thanks

Jon

The bevel gear on the axle only needed a few turns with a reamer to fit, the one on the motor needs a lot more but I just sit with the gear in a cloth (it digs into your fingers) and work my way up through the reamer sizes. The gears are probably some form of nylon so it's a little bit of a slow process but Confucius says work long and be rewarded...or something like that..

2 hours ago, daifly said:

How about using a phosphor bronze strip material for wiping which should prevent the sideways motion? Better and easier might be to reduce the length of the n/s wipers by having attachment points much closer to the wheels.

Dave

It is a phosphor bronze wire as I don't have any strip left, I did think that for the unpowered axle I ought to have as small an area as possible wiping across the wheel so it didn't create too much drag. I will add some form of attachment to the wire to hold it near the wheel but I wanted to add the axle box detail first so I could try and hide it behind.

7 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I like those rail cars, Dave. Are the bodies commercially available? I notice that you've said they're from JCL but is that a manufacturer, an RMweb member or whatever?

Jason is JCL a member here Dave, he has put things on Shapeways in the past as well as Thingiverse (a file sharing site if you've got your own 3D printer) He's bound to be along at some point.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Now it works I will add some axleboxes etc to the underframe, I'll also think of something to contain the wipers as I'd like to keep them on the tread (yes it's come off!)

Maybe cut the wipers shorter, and form hooks in the ends so that they hook over the tops of the wheel  flanges?  If these hooks actually bear on the tops of the flanges, this is quite a good place to pick up the juice from as there is little friction and they don't tend to collect muck.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1