chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Is it true that Little Barford power station shut down yesterday when Chris P plugged in his soldering iron?

• Funny 8

Hope not, the latest on the bench has been plastic!

Not a lot to show at present, just more moulds etc.

• Like 2

I saw this paragraph about the colour of the Pullman - from Modellers Backtrack vol1 number 2

BDC3F269-CB91-4E7D-860D-7B4768511AB3.jpeg.c3febbf04c90cb99220afe999bba35bb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's interesting Jon. Does that mean that all of these Pullmans in the UK were red-brown, or just the ones going to the Midland?

IIRC there was also a green and cream livery.  Many years ago a now deceased member of the Caledonian Railway Association really pushed the notion that Pullmans supplied to the Caley had that livery but the subsequent debate fell towards the well-known umber and cream. 

I can't remember which company was cited as having green Pullmans at the time, it might have been the GE.

Many thanks Jon, It does confim other information that's come to light that they were a 'brown' colour.

I haven't read that there was a difference between the Midland and GN Pullmans,  they were all originally owned by the Pullman company so likely in the same livery. 

An extract from Roger Pigeon's article on George Pullman in the CRA Journal.

Alan

PullmanLivery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/08/2019 at 23:20, JCL said:

That's interesting Jon. Does that mean that all of these Pullmans in the UK were red-brown, or just the ones going to the Midland?

Hi Jason

I’ve now found time to read the article properly. It was written in 1991 by Barry Lane. The article agrees with the extract that Buhar has posted.

It seems that the original red/brown was retained by coaches for a long time - possibly throughout their lives. These coaches were used on secondary and excursion duties later in their lives.

The only, possible, exception to the red/brown before 1906 were some cars for the LBSC and LSWR that might have been Green all over. The article also says that this might have just been a confusing re-name of the red/brown. (Along the lines of Stroudley’s improved engine green = brown). There were also some sleeping cars built for the Midland to the Pullman design. These were painted Crimson Lake and owned by the Midland from the outset.

Jon 

• Informative/Useful 3

Very nice. I think I'll have to bump mine to the top of the things-to-do list!

• Like 3

Corr, look at all that! top stuff that is. i'd love to have ago but since my experience in soldering is 0hrs i'd imagine it wouldn't turn out any where near as crisp as the models shown on this page.
how to the 7mm and 4mm Janes compare in colour? the 7mm one looks far closer in colour to the pre 1896 paint found on jane.

3 hours ago, Shed82CB said:

how to the 7mm and 4mm Janes compare in colour? the 7mm one looks far closer in colour to the pre 1896 paint found on jane.

The 7mm Version is nearer the colour and I should really repaint the 4mm one...but I was only discussing the ever increasing painting pile with JCL last night.....and he did laugh a lot..

... and the lining ...

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JCL said:

... and the lining ...

What lining? the lining on jane as of the 2017 repaint is fictitious. from what i can gather, she was painted red at the LNWR during her tenure as works shunter

2 hours ago, Shed82CB said:

What lining? the lining on jane as of the 2017 repaint is fictitious. from what i can gather, she was painted red at the LNWR during her tenure as works shunter

Lining...JCL is just remindng me of yet another job to do on other stock.....Oh joy..

As there is no other colour under the red (except a primer and filler) it's most likely that is the colour she had when delivered to the Sandy & Potton Railway. The LNWR may have repainted her, but is possibly unlikely as she was only a few years old when sent to be works shunter.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shed82CB said:

I was talking about his ever increasing lining pile, of which I may have contributed in some small way. :)

6 hours ago, JCL said:

I was talking about his ever increasing lining pile, of which I may have contributed in some small Huge way. :)

Thats better.....:derisive:

• Funny 1

While the resin parts required for the Pullman slowly get done, another project has hit the bench. 

Work has been progressing on another GN locomotive for some time, my part was to create the etched chassis while the 3D locomotive and tender body has been designed and printed by the usual suspects. The design work has now come to a concluson and with a printed body not far off I thought I ought to start building the chassis.   There are 2 on the bench but only 1 is mine, I already have the test build chassis which only requires some minor updates.

442.JPG.df15b2e70c5a8c6ef2ce9a89ea4d45e7.JPG

I was going to see if anyone could guess what it was, but as there is a rather large clue in the picture......

First up is the tender sub chassis which is a simple fold up with bearings inserted, the loco chassis utilises compensated beams and will follow.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, 31A said:

GN 2-4-0?

It's actually on the etched sheet Steve :rolleyes:  ....E1/E2 

• Like 2

Well you had me fooled - it also says V2 - and I could not rationalise the number of holes in the etch for drivers (too few) with the number of bearings (just right)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

So is "V2" but it aint one of them (yet) ;-)

Oh no.....no........no no no no no... not going to happen, too much valve gear. :D

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1