chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Good lord feller, I hadn't realised/completely forgot you had already done the tender chassis. I hope the body fits it...

Here's the E2 body. The parts were removed from the body for ease of painting, etc, and the front buffer beam is missing because it was decided that Dave's chassis would take care of that.

789538547_E2final.jpg.e02755ac5f2ad4e47c8ab850a1f8605c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

46 minutes ago, JCL said:

Good lord feller, I hadn't realised/completely forgot you had already done the tender chassis. I hope the body fits it...

Now I know you don't read my emails..:rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 1

Ég veit ekki hvað þú meinar

• Funny 1

Not quite what is normally meant by a mid-Atlantic accent......

• Like 1

I made some more progress on the E2's last night.

I laminated the 2 pairs of rods from 2 parts, these were then used to set up the chassis jig so I was able to assemble the 2 chassis. The bearings for the drivers are carried in the pivot beams which are next to fit.  The motored chassis in the background is the test build.

443.JPG.97ef54dc5a08c48fec706fc429c5b77d.JPG

So far, so good.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking good Dave, is the leading axle compensated as well, or fixed?

Andy G

• Agree 1

On the test chassis I bent a piece of wire so it rested on the centre of the axle then adjusted the bearing holes with some clearance top and bottom so it would pivot. Seems to work ok. For a test piece it runs really well and with a couple of minor tweaks will be my second working chassis.

As it works I'm claiming the credit and not pointing out to others that it was you that gave me the links to Mike Edges kits and his beams and compensation system which I shamelessly copied......:D

• Like 2

That's ok Dave, I won't tell anyone!

With such a small and lightweight loco this sort of stuff should help it pick-up better. Are you fitting tender pickups as well? I'm just fiddling around building a split pick-up tender chassis as a trial to see if it helps.... (Even making the split axles.... from a kit!)

Andy G

At present I will just put pick ups on the drivers, so far I haven't had issue with stalling as it's all live frog. I'd rather not have to put pick ups in the tender but it's possible if needed.

I'm interested in the split chassis, put something up when you can.

• Like 1

Will do. I'm soldering it up tomorrow, so with a bit of luck there will be something to show (good or bad) by the end of the week!

Andy G

• Like 2

Looks good Mike. Although we can see the striations in the photo, what are they like in the flesh? Also the bottom edge of the flange on the valve cover and chimberley are a bit fat aren’t they?

Andy g

• Agree 1

Personally I cannot see them, but them my eyesight is not as sharp as it was. I agree the flanges are a bit thick and could do with fettling down more.

I chose to print them at 10 degree angle and 0.035mm stepping. In fairness I could have increased the angle, changed the layer thickness AND implemented anti-aliasing with the knock on effect of increasing print times. Presumably when put in production with Shapeways these issues will be negated.

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, uax6 said:

Looks good Mike. Although we can see the striations in the photo, what are they like in the flesh? Also the bottom edge of the flange on the valve cover and chimberley are a bit fat aren’t they?

Andy g

Hi feller

It's a throwback to when I did this with Shapeways and had to deal with their minimum thickness requirements. My thought was that Dave can put a bit of sandpaper on the smokebox and then sand it back to the required thickness. Truth be told, as there's no other options for this boiler, so I could have just left them attached to the boiler.

• Like 1

This evening gave me enough time to assemble the compensation beams for the drivers and to fit a wire pivot on the front axle.

444.JPG.b48506f7796388f27b6a33d5a2d4a3a4.JPG

I fit a length of spare axle to set the depth of the bent wire and solder it to the spacer, then remove the axle and file some play into the axle holes.

445.JPG.ce59f6f61c2066f770869a7cc25857b0.JPG

The beams have a spacer made of tube soldered to one side then a piece of rod is pushed through the frames and soldered from the outside, this provides the pivot.

Next is brake gear.....oh great...

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Is it easy to get the ridges out without loosing all the details? Also does it carve easily to thin down the overly thick edges. I presume the safety valve cover and chimney are loose, so they can thinned from the underside.

First all bear in mind the images are a very big enlargement and do not represent the final production mouldings. It does carve and files nicely so yes edges can be thinned.

Yes, the chimney and valve cover are loose and can be thinned more.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

If I end up putting these on Shapeways, then the chimney and safety valves will be fully attached and the flange would be the correct thickness. Something like the one below.joined.jpg.ce7d654bac4fbc93c0c2a0978c74484d.jpg

joined.jpg

Edited by JCL
Image disappeared...
  • Like 4

Sorry Dave, I seem to be turning this into a gallery, here's the other one at a more reasonable size.

slots.jpg.922ec0b7898c2b24585af5054bbffead.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JCL said:

Sorry Dave

That's ok, I did some of the brake gear on mine this evening,  you're up for doing yours....just some simple laminations :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

If there is one job which is fiddly, it's brake gear. And the only thing more fiddly has to be 2 lots of brake gear!

446.JPG.345565d91e5f592f08697de41b147136.JPG

I also laminated the buffer beams in readiness for fitting.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

G'Day Folks

Dave, I hope you remembered that the buffer beams are timber, with a steel face.

manna

post-19471-0-43994400-1520410278.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, manna said:

I hope you remembered that the buffer beams are timber, with a steel face.

I've done them as a lamination with a larger face to replicate the steel, the body sits between the buffers rather than on top. I did it this way as I was suspect about the buffer forming part of the 3D print. Using FUD it can be a little brittle, and with the length of trains on Sandy I did wonder about all that weight going through the drawbar. 

I'll raise your E with 2 E's..

447.JPG.3f05cf969da4c432edd2de10024b58b1.JPG

This is how they've come to me, (kept on supports until required) they are really top quality prints with very little (if any) cleaning of the body required. I will remove the supports and give them a good clean when it comes time to fit the chassis.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3