chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Nice. Shows what can be achieved when you actually just get on with it. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad times Dave, thoughts with everyone..

But the diversion is looking very good.

Nice work.

Cheers

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave

Sorry to hear of your loss, my brother in law also died prematurely sad times for all concerned. As it happens I have supported Herts and Essex Air Ambulance for some years, went to give a donation at a B&Q store but signed up for a monthly lottery.

Lovely looking chassis's you have built there and its very interesting to see how 3D printed kits arrive. may bump into you next weekend (28/29th)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John.

The prints are exactly how they've come off the printer, Mike has worked out the optimum way to print so that the faces are nice and clean (which they are) It doesn't take too long to remove the support material although I have 'pinged' some around the living room....

I shall head over to Scaleforum* on the Sunday as I have a committee meeting on the Saturday, if you're with Phil I'll come and heckle.

*=looking forward to seeing 'London Road'  although the standard of coach lining, and the thought that I have to do similar, may turn me into a quivering wreck :crazy_mini:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Thanks John.

The prints are exactly how they've come off the printer, Mike has worked out the optimum way to print so that the faces are nice and clean (which they are) It doesn't take too long to remove the support material although I have 'pinged' some around the living room....

I shall head over to Scaleforum* on the Sunday as I have a committee meeting on the Saturday, if you're with Phil I'll come and heckle.

*=looking forward to seeing 'London Road'  although the standard of coach lining, and the thought that I have to do similar, may turn me into a quivering wreck https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy_mini.gif

You can come & heckle me as well will be nice to have a chat again

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

You can come & heckle me as well will be nice to have a chat again

Your name is already on the list :D

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

*=looking forward to seeing 'London Road'  although the standard of coach lining, and the thought that I have to do similar, may turn me into a quivering wreck https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy_mini.gif

Dave,

please stop off and say hello. S4um is probably London Roads's last public appearance.

Jol

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

please stop off and say hello

I shall certainly do that Jol,  It's been quite a while since I've seen London Road and looking forward to seeing it again.

Are you replacing London Road ? Be a shame not to see that lovely stock running.

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

I shall certainly do that Jol,  It's been quite a while since I've seen London Road and looking forward to seeing it again.

Are you replacing London Road ? Be a shame not to see that lovely stock running.

Not replacing London Road but retiring from taking it to shows. There are some possibilities as to what I will do with it, but that all depends on selling our house, etc.

• Thanks 1

Loving the loco Dave. 

I'm also very sorry to hear about your recent loss mate it's never easy.

Regards Lez.

• Thanks 1

I have now cleaned the second body, a trial fit to the chassis was successful and showed that I have to move the steps outwards as without thinking I fixed them to the chassis. A simple enough job with a piece of scrap etch. 

The 3rd chassis in the foreground is for JCL and will be painted along with mine. 

452.JPG.5d60764cc177412b6cb54c94c2c38f78.JPG

I still have a couple of jobs such as pick ups, then they'll be etched primed and top coated.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The 3 chassis are now just awaiting the pick-ups and a final clean before priming. 

453.JPG.9c933767c52485e6c8f24a5d2daafdf2.JPG

With fairly big drivers, mounting the PCB for the pick-ups is proving to be a little tricky. Hopefully I can get some phosphor bronze rod to wipe across the top of the wheels  (bent over the flange to hold it in place).

I re-fixed the steps in the correct place. As they are very delicate and would be prone to damage,  I have backed them up with a piece of 0.45mm rod, although it doesn't look much it has stiffened them enough and cannot be seen when under the footplate.

• Like 10

Hi Dave, is it me (it usually is), but has the external frame broken underneath the cab?

I'll give you a call when I get back from the States.

J

Looking very nice there Dave.

I'm been slowly faffing with my split chassis tender, sadly life is getting in the way, but I'll take you as far as I've got.

The main components: Comet 6'6"+6'6" frame etch, and double sided copperclad strip. You'll notice that I've double grooved the copperclad (on both sides) to give a dead area in the middle. I cut the copperclad to the size of the frame stretchers, but wish I had made them just a tad wider....

SAM_8236.JPG.53caaafa46fcdf8ae101865a0c22a5b2.JPG

The axles are Branchlines ones, where you have to make them up yourself. I used a bit of 10thou plasticard, drilled a hole in the middle to clear the pointy bit of the male axle and then assembled the axle either side and gave a sharp tap with a big 3/4" Whit spanner, which punched the outer shape out:

SAM_8243.JPG.1bdb9b5385fe1165b126df0280bcd411.JPG

The female part of the axle needs a small vent hole drilling, so I measured down the tube with a compass, and then transferred the mark to the outside, filed a small flat and then drilled through 0.45mm. Note the axle is in the Branchlines jig:

SAM_8239.JPG.d2b6a6670c0d14fca4fc2f93f5a3c93c.JPGSAM_8241.JPG.96e3a2a3bc4bab2b741e071b8adf6656.JPG

The axles were then assembled. I filled the tube the best I could with Araldite, and making sure I had the washer on the male bit, smeared Araldite on that too. Then pushed them together and mounted in the vasalined jig and left to set:

SAM_8256.JPG.ca445a879226bdd19849033ce416fa2d.JPG

The side frames were then soldered to the copperclad, making sure that I got then level. I seamed the solder on the top and tacked underneath:

SAM_8245.JPG.3fd6fc40ae21dd570d6cd4b76370fc7c.JPGSAM_8246.JPG.525a68304a8d54d456029273d576f871.JPG

I then faffed about with the tender, and this shot shows how far out the axle spacing is in the casting, and the other side is out the other way!

SAM_8248.JPG.8aaa062f972bc284743516d5e2e8bedd.JPG

I then needed to make up the mounting for the frames. So some more copperclad was cut to fit in the bottom of the tender tank, and holes drilled to mount the frames. I made sure the bolt heads wouldn't conduct elastictrickey from one side of the frames to the other.

SAM_8250.JPG.31cb1dceb00cdf311dc7ff6a3ee9ab62.JPGSAM_8254.JPG.bce46557f2227d1a390aa8dfd1ce9962.JPG

Then the frame was bolted up from the underside. Theres a bit of 10 thou between the frames and the mounts to adjust the height. The bolts don't short either, I used my meter to make sure (also when assembling the axles!).

SAM_8255.JPG.eda11ae1628e36022f582e142d649665.JPG

I'm just waiting for a back to back to arrive, so that i can build up the axles and then I'll continue!

Andy G

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Mass production ?

I guess they are from Sandy Works !!!

Hi John

I have insider knowledge, nothing and nobody works in Sandy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Then pushed them together and mounted in the vasalined jig

Only in the fens.......that's what happens when you don't have a telly.:D

That's really interesting Andy, I've not seen that set up before. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Very nice Andy. Did you make the jig or is it a commercial offering?

Regards Lez. 

I had to hunt for the Vaseline.... The Mrs had put it somewhere strange...

The jig and axles all come from Branchlines, they seem quite easy to put together, but I'm no looking forward to pressing the wheels on....

I'm not sure I can take credit for the design of this kind of arrangement, but it seems a sensible way of picking up without too much drag. You'll note that the horns have little tabs at the top, they can be built fully compensated (you remove the tabs when you do this) or left for fixed. I've removed the tabs on the middle axle to try and prevent the tender rocking on this axle. It sort of just comes along for the ride I hope!

One issue that I have noticed is that the wheels are close to the outer frames, so I will have to spend some time with a file to increase the clearances...

Andy G 

Edited: to waffle on more.

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

With 2-4-0's I have always fixed the rear tender axel and left the other two floating and hang the weight of the tender on the rear of the loco as they need all the help they can get. I also mounted the motor in the tender and drove the loco via a drive shaft and UJ so i could fill the loco with lead. 

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

One draw back with the swinging beam compensation is that its more difficult to stuff the frames full of lead, as it will foul the beams. There's a nice little box at the back which looks perfect for some lead. Could a bottom to the firebox be fitted so some lead can go in there?

Andy G

I have to say that if I were to start building loco's again, although given the current state of my vision that's likely to be never, I would go with continuous springy beams instead of other methods of suspension.

Regards Lez. 

I've always been put off CSB as I have no idea how you would choose the correct gauge guitar string to bear the weight correctly. I hate the idea of continually changing the strings, until I get the right ones. Is there a ready reckoner for selecting the gauge?

Andy G