chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Very sensible David. I've found that Tortoises will always snuggle up to the nearest supporting brace if they possibly can. That curved board looks very nice indeed.

And the madness continues..........

All the boards have been made now, there might be some minor additions to the bracing but as they stand they are very stable and do not twist so I'll wait until the point motors are fitted before adding anything else.

All were carried into the room which was no mean feat, not because they were awkward but mainly trying not to trip over the cat!

The legs were recovered from the previous boards, they are pretty simple just being 2"x2" bolted to the boards frame with a piece of 100mm ply as a stretcher, there is also a diagonal brace on one leg.

post-4738-0-16697300-1386066448_thumb.jpg

Two of the curved end boards are up, these have the incline of the LNWR Ox/Cam line so the inner part of the board has been cut ready to make the incline. None of the ply beams on these boards have been glued to the tops, as if I have to move one out of the way of a motor then it is just a case of unscrewing and moving to one side.

post-4738-0-53920800-1386066457_thumb.jpg

The main station and yard boards are 1.2M long and 1.1M deep. as can be seen you cannot get to the other side of the boards, my intention is to lay the Templot plan over the all the boards then take the curved boards back down and pull the four main straight boards into the room and work on them for things such as tracklaying, for some scenics I can reach over easily or at the worst it's 6 bolts and the board pulls out. With the curved  there is access all around so there isn't a problem for them.

I hope to have them all together by the end of the week but my wife may have other ideas............

• Like 8

Dave

Madam told me last night that "you had been sent to your room" so you missed the Carol Concert. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Nick

So Nurse has let me out this week but not with anything sharp.........it continues..

So now all the boards are together and I'm very pleased with them, there may be a few small packers required under the legs but I'm not worried at present as they'll be in and out a few times, It looks good to the eye but shows a small dip (1-2mm) with a string line.

The tops were sanded down to remove any small splinters (these are located with the fingers!) and then vacuumed. The next step is to lay the cork, rather than use "ordinary" cork Norman (Saunders) suggested a rubberised cork, I obtained this from C&L (just 10 rolls...) and I've laid it out to flatten before sticking it down. I've not seen this before but I've found it much nicer to work with.

post-4738-0-87588600-1387533134_thumb.jpg

Norman visited recently and gaves me some tips and hints which have been very useful, why is it that the obvious sometimes eludes us ? anyway, working up a scheme with him has been really easy, there is a fair amount of work in the pointwork which will be spread over a few months in the New year.

"So if Norman is building the pointwork and I'm doing the plain track how will that work ? ", I hear you cry.....Easy, he has put together a Templot plan (see earlier) and printed it off on A3 and brought it with him, I can only print to A4 so there is more margin for error, so when the cork has been laid I will stick the plan down with some spray mount ready for laying.

post-4738-0-94473500-1387533148_thumb.jpg

I have also copied a second set to make the plain track to.

I've picked up a supply of the Exacto to make a start and have found it really easy to work with. when norman popped in we did a simple test shot to confirm laying principles. I've done a few other bits including this one to confirm the difference

post-4738-0-81853300-1387533121_thumb.jpg

Left is code 100, middle is 75 and right is the Exacto with 75 Bullhead, none has been weathered but you can see the difference.

When I originally used the Peco 75 I thought it would look so much better than the 100 and yes the rail has got that finer look to it but with that sleeper spacing it hardly looks any different to the 100. There is a price to pay though as the cost is something like X3, fortunately for me though I don't play golf .. :secret:

So with a bit of time off over the xmas holiday I hope to get some more done.

• Like 8

Nurse left me unattended so I've been back in my room...........

Ok so we progress, I did a rough mark out for the cork as I didn't want it all over the boards where scenery is to go, it was then stuck down with PVA, the downside to layouts this size is the sheer quantities of some materials you get through, so far it has used 9 rolls of cork and about half a gallon of glue, just 2 more rolls required though for one of the curved boards, any excess will be trimmed when tracklaying starts.

After the cork comes the Templot plan

post-4738-0-55745800-1388188560_thumb.jpg

Norman and I had agreed a starting point for the laying of track (end of the platforms) and so this is where I started laying the templates, I used spray mount as you can reposition a number of times until you are happy, 2 of the sheets showed an error of about a 1mm, I thought at first it was my laying that was at fault but I think it might actually be the printing, the error was confined to just those sheets rather than having a cumulative effect

post-4738-0-09059600-1388188573_thumb.jpg

Most of the plan is down on the main straight boards now, as I look along it I can see the positives over Sandy Mk 1, it has a gentle sweep which I couldn't do and also the siding lengths are nearly double and in one case x3 which is much nearer the prototype.

Still some more to do but enjoying it.

• Like 5

That looks very impressive Dave, and it is going to become even more so. I see that Norman has worked the same magic as he did for me, as you have finished up with more than you expected. A lot more to do, but every reason to enjoy doing it, as I'm sure you can already see in your mind's eye what this is going to look as it progresses.

Hi Dave,

Its been some months since we have seen any more progress of Sandy. Has there been any progress?

Mark in OZ

Spooky.....I was going to post an update in the next day or so....

Time has been a big issue recently with Madams Mayorial engagements but luckily that is drawing to a close.

Briefly

New boards are finished.

Re-doing the "terraforming" at the North end and marking out and building up the station platforms (be difficult when the track is down) I'm trying to get rid of the dusty jobs before tracklaying (learn from your mistakes !)

But the most important bit.......

The first of the new pointwork arrived yesterday....And what a superb job it is :danced:

I intend to get a bit more done then post an update soon.

• Like 2

Hello Mozzer.

Yes there are if I pull my finger out......some pics are in the camera but sitting here booking holidays as Madam Mayor seems to think they take priority ! Trackbuilding has begun though......slowly....very slowly.......

I've not had much time in the room recently (work/illness/Mayors chain..) but some members of the club came over a couple of weekends ago to see progress and were admiring your work on the footbridge.

Stuck at home with a "Flu" like bug, no energy for modelling so I decided to post some pics of what progress there has been.

I have been working on boards 6,7 & 8 the reason being that when I work on the 4 main boards of the straight section I can remove boards 2 and 7 and drag them into the room so I can walk around them. I'm certainly having a feeling of Deja-vu here as they were the last boards worked on before starting again !

I've stuck to what I know and used the same materials as before (offcuts are readily available from work)

post-4738-0-19365800-1400164346_thumb.jpg

The main "terraforming" is made up of Celotex shaped with either a plasterboard saw or an old breadknife to a rough finish (very rough) and then final shaping is carried out with a surform, a must is having a hoover running while any cutting/smoothing is going happening as the dust goes everywhere...and I mean everywhere (yellow footprints across the living room are not appreciated)

post-4738-0-32076400-1400164359_thumb.jpg

The foil covering is removed from the underside and Gripfill is used to stick it down with some weight added

post-4738-0-64750300-1400164373_thumb.jpg

Bit of rough shaping.

post-4738-0-42937800-1400164390_thumb.jpg

And finishing. after I was happy with the contours it was covered with plaster bandage to seal it.

Next was to lay out the first lot of pointwork Norman Saunders built and supplied.

post-4738-0-00649500-1400164404_thumb.jpg

The big difference with the Peco is that it "flows" you can't really see with the pics but it really is a work of art and not something that clumsy here could of made !

post-4738-0-82002800-1400164415_thumb.jpg

Working to the Templot template has made things so easy, the turnouts are laid onto it and holes are marked out for the actuating arms, the cork removed and a hole cut in the baseboard.

post-4738-0-19796300-1400164429_thumb.jpg

And now we move on to trackbuilding and I'm actually finding it very therapeutic ! (never would of believed it a couple of years ago) a section of the template is pinned down to a board and some spraymount applied then the Exactoscale sleepers are laid down and the rail threaded on....Ok it's a bit easier on the straights than the curves but you get the idea.

I've not had much time recently to spend in the room but with the latest build drawing to a close and Madam handing over the mayorial chain next Monday I'm hoping that should change soon .............I'm sure I said that last year.....

• Like 8

I thought it time for an update although there has been progress it will look rather like the last as it has been slow.

I set up a small table in the back of the living room with my magnifier and for several evenings a week have been making up panels of track from the Exactoscale components. After a bit of a duff start I managed to get into a rythym and turn out a healthy number of panels each session. I made up some 500mm panels but when using these for the curved boards I found it difficult to get that flowing look with the joins so changed to 750mm panels and this has worked better for me.

The trackwork is sprayed and weathered before laying.

post-4738-0-66329600-1406286577_thumb.jpg

The glue I am using for laying and ballasting is not PVA but a carpet tile adhesive (Ultrabond Eco Tack or F41) this has a rubbery texture to it and does not set fully, the idea behind it is if you needed to replace a carpet tile you just pull it up and drop another into place. The track is not set fast to the boards but has a very slight "sponginess" to it, but it does not move.

post-4738-0-77283300-1406286589_thumb.jpg

Board 8 is laid out and tacked with spray mount.

post-4738-0-09321400-1406286604_thumb.jpg

Joy of joys, sticking the false fishplates. Not an easy task due to their size but when they are painted will give a better look. The template is marked where they are to be glued.

post-4738-0-10781000-1406286615_thumb.jpg

Board 7 is now 60% complete with track (Still the branch to do) there is still some titivating to do and the railhead needs to be cleaned, when 7 & 8 are all laid then the final bit of painting/weathering will be carried out so that certain jobs are finished before progressing with other tasks.

post-4738-0-88626100-1406286625_thumb.jpg

I had a bet with the club that I would have something (just something, not all) running by March next year......I think I need to step up the progress a bit.....

• Like 11

I've done a bit of Sandy modelling myself..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157645132659727/

There was a disc signal like this on the down GN platform to set back into the down sidings. it does feature in one of the photo's in this thread..

Excellent, I remember leaning against that while we watched pennies we placed on the down main get flattened by Deltics.........until Jim Lawson told us off, Noel Cotman wasn't worried and asked how big they got !

Excellent, I remember leaning against that while we watched pennies we placed on the down main get flattened by Deltics.........until Jim Lawson told us off, Noel Cotman wasn't worried and asked how big they got !

Did you take any close up photo's of it?

Did you take any close up photo's of it?

I have 2 pictures from front and rear, they are not mine and not sure about posting them so I'll PM you.

Hi All, I've just decided to lean forward from my chair and register, having followed this very interesting 'article' for a while. I used to 'spot at Sandy in the 60s and so have a small number of photos that may help. I also shot off two 36 exposure rolls of BW film of the old Sandy station, intending to 'brick count' and make scaled drawings, probably in the mid 70s but before the demolition whenever that was. I'm happy to scan the photos for you if they would be helpful. Get in touch, if you will, but I don't read this blog every day though... In return, has anyone got drawings/photos of the old bridge across the Potton line just south of the RSPB site, or alternatively the footbridge over the LNWR line just north of Sandy (which is where I used to be found) - needed for my model of the S&P, 1857.

• Like 1

Super first post. I for one would love to see any photo's of Sandy. It was a haunt of mine early mid 70's onwards. My only modelling of anything to do with Sandy is in a somewhat larger, rivet counter proof, scale.

Hi All, I've just decided to lean forward from my chair and register, having followed this very interesting 'article' for a while. I used to 'spot at Sandy in the 60s and so have a small number of photos that may help. I also shot off two 36 exposure rolls of BW film of the old Sandy station, intending to 'brick count' and make scaled drawings, probably in the mid 70s but before the demolition whenever that was. I'm happy to scan the photos for you if they would be helpful. Get in touch, if you will, but I don't read this blog every day though... In return, has anyone got drawings/photos of the old bridge across the Potton line just south of the RSPB site, or alternatively the footbridge over the LNWR line just north of Sandy (which is where I used to be found) - needed for my model of the S&P, 1857.

Hello Julian

Yes I can help you with photo's, I'll pm you later with some info (and you Richard), can't post some on here as they were lent to me in good faith and not for publication I have 2-300+ from late 1800's to mid 70's (quadrupling)

As for the bridge at the end of Stratford road which led over the railway to Biggleswade common, I remember it as a wooden arch bridge with brick abutments (a few bits remain) I have seen a photo of it recently and think it is one of George Howe's (owner of Potton Station) not 100% sure if I have a copy of it. I have pics of Alley bridge which was the footbridge north of Potton road bridge.

Dave

Well progress continues with track building and laying. I am starting to get a bit faster and finding small ways to improve.

post-4738-0-69284100-1409127512_thumb.jpg

I've now laid the mains and goods North of the station, the Exacto sleeper bases still stick a little proud of the ballast whereas pics show the ballast nearer to the top of the sleeper but I am happy with the result, the fishplates still have to be painted and some of the wire droppers too.

post-4738-0-90678700-1409127532_thumb.jpg

This is the platform area on the GN, I did think about putting the platforms in first but thought it might make the tracklaying too difficult.

The next part being assembled is the branch as it climbs from the station, when this is laid that will complete the tracklaying on boards 7 & 8........leaving just 1 -6 to do.....!

• Like 13

And the madness continues.........

I'm aware that some of these updates are going to start looking a bit repetitive.....I'll say that again,  repetitive ( ok who gets the joke...) but if nothing else it will show that progress is being made at a steady pace.

As before I have been working on boards 7 & 8, these are the 2 curved boards which form the North end of the layout beyond the station platforms. With all the GN main and goods laid on these attention turned to the branch.

The same process of templates with the trackwork laid over it was followed.

post-4738-0-20435900-1410947305_thumb.jpg

I made a slightly different mix of ballast for the branch and laid the single line to Bedford, when I laid the siding which terminates at the foot of the sandhills I also dropped some different shades of flock onto the track before the ballast to give it a redundant look.

post-4738-0-52094900-1410947319_thumb.jpg

At the station end the track now crosses onto board 6 (platforms), this means that I can now take out board 7 and flip it over for point motors and wiring, I have a bit of "fettling" to do with 2 pieces of track that form the crossovers but the sponginess in the latex glue used will allow that.

I'm looking forward to some scenics on these boards but I won't start anything until the undersides are wired and tested.

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

The login "Chris P Bacon" sounded amusing when I registered, How would I know everyone would call me "Chris" from then on.

David 

Only just noticed  :no:

• Like 1

Lovely flowing trackwork; I'm sure this will be great when its 'finished' but I'm glad it's not me having to pay for all the stock needed!!! I'll be pleased if mine turns out half as good as this one, but thankfully choosing the Sandy and Potton limits me to two locos, three wagons and a break, and two coaches hired from the GNR. Must make a start...soon.

• Like 1

The next part being assembled is the branch as it climbs from the station, when this is laid that will complete the tracklaying on boards 7 & 8........leaving just 1 -6 to do.....!

Oi Dave

Branch.....it was the mian line of the B&CR :O :rtfm: :fool: :umbrage:

I enoy seeing how things are progressing.

Oi Dave

Branch.....it was the mian line of the B&CR :O :rtfm: :fool: :umbrage:

I enoy seeing how things are progressing.

I wondered how long before I got picked up on that........... :mosking:

A certain owner of Potton station refers to it as "The Branch" so it must be right.....

To be honest the only reason I call it that is so others know what I'm on about...( a bit more than me usually) otherwise its 2 mains both with Up in a different direction!