chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

I have no idea how you would choose the correct gauge guitar string to bear the weight correctly. I hate the idea of continually changing the strings, until I get the right ones

No different to the KLF then :D

I think I can get a reasonable amount of lead in the engine above the drivers, the motor is actually in the boiler barrel above the leading axle so there is ample room in the firebox for a big lump of lead.

My word, that looks complicated! Something to read on those dark winters nights I think!

Andy G

• Funny 1

As I understand it, CSB makes full use of the width afforded by S4 and is a squeeze in EM. I think it's a no-no in 16.5mm.

Alan 

A no-no in OO? No doubt somebody will prove otherwise, but that won't be me.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Buhar said:

As I understand it, CSB makes full use of the width afforded by S4 and is a squeeze in EM. I think it's a no-no in 16.5mm.

Alan 

I agree with Alan,  there is insufficient width in 00 frames to fit the csb supports and gearbox between them.  If you like the sound of csb then I suggest you drive the rear axle and fix this rigid to the frames and then csb the two front axles.  Unless your track is particularly uneven springing the front axles should still be very effective.  

Alternately you could fit double compensation beams between the front axles but use a thick (springy) phosphor bronze wire for each beam rather than a solid beam.  I have used this method several times and it works very well.

Frank

• Informative/Useful 1

Don't know Andy. I think there's a book though. I would start with a 12 and go from there. I have 5 guitars so I have lots of old strings knocking about. Very handy old guitar strings, they have lots of uses modeling wise.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 01:14, chris p bacon said:

I thought I'd taken a piccie of Shannon (lined) to show she's finished, but can't find it on the phone....you'll have to take my word for it.

So now it's back to normal on the bench, first up is something that's been on and off of it over the last couple of weeks as I tried various methods of drive train. It's a Dick Kerr railcar that was delivered to the GN and worked in the Hatfield area.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/408.JPG.a4863ad74792bd1638a12a7517371959.JPG

The 3D design was done by JCL (it's become a labour of love for him....) and I was lucky enough to get one. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/409.JPG.961904463c408bbeafba92c4ce63e17f.JPG

The external bodywork is just about done ( requires buffers and coupling) but there is no interior. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/410.JPG.d1e8401d3609e869adc680486819d7c5.JPG

The drive is another N20 motor with a couple of bevel gears, not the prettiest work I'll admit but better than the previous 3 versions ( twin worm & gears, single worm & gear, belt drive) I've tried it on a 6V battery and it's a nice little runner.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/411.JPG.027c470f1282207f79b14b5bd00c2708.JPG

I have to make an interior so I've started with a baseplate to disguise the motor. The cabs and seats are very simple so will be made from strip etc.

There is another railcar I'm working on and I'll do the interiors at the same time, a few more things to do to the underframe and I'll take some pics for posting.

Great model - is it still possible to obtain one?

Thanks Dave.

Martin, both Dave and Micklner have made one, and have used different approaches to motorizing it,

• Like 2

Possibly I misunderstand what is termed "CSB" here, where it has been said that there is insufficient width in a OO chassis.  Please refer to this:

See the illustrations of Varney HO frames, which had a continuous spring wire on each side with a floating motor/gearbox in HO.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, JCL said:

Thanks Dave.

Martin, both Dave and Micklner have made one, and have used different approaches to motorizing it,

I have built the excellent NER Inspection car not the GNR version.  I see no problems, with using the same method on the GNR version as well. Photos on my LNER Models thread if needed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

That's true, you did do the NER one. Sorry Mick.

3 hours ago, JCL said:

That's true, you did do the NER one. Sorry Mick.

Not a problem , thanks again for the lovely NER version.

• Thanks 1

Dave

Back onto your Pullmans, have you seen this photo? It turned up randomly in a search about something else

Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (UK) - MGNR 4-4-0 steam locomotive Nr. 10 and Pullman car

You should be able to click through to Flickr and see that it's Apollo, a former Midland Pullman.

• Like 4

That's interesting, it says that it was converted to push/pull in 1906.

The Pullman is having to wait till I've finished off someones E1......:rolleyes:

• Funny 1

I'm a good way through the construction of the frames, I've used Gibson wheels on one and Romford on the other 2  (I had them and one is heading to Canada and may need de-wheeling at some time) The Gibson wheeled one runs ok but I need more crankpins before I can finish and test the Romfords. There are only a few more tasks such as pick ups and motor steady's to do and they'll be complete. 

I've also assembled the tender sub frames, there are 4 in the picture as I had an extra tender (used on the A5's & B3),  again there are a couple of tasks to do on those before they're complete.

454.JPG.083cc97d40d844a11eaee974c44810a7.JPG

So far, so good. But if I mention again doing 3 locomotives at the same time, someone feel free to use a baseball bat to knock some sense into me....:crazy_mini:

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

Doncaster 1880...................

manna

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:47, chris p bacon said:

So far, so good. But if I mention again doing 3 locomotives at the same time, someone feel free to use a baseball bat to knock some sense into me....https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy_mini.gif

But even if it's a lot to do, the economy that results from only having to think processes through once, only having to prepare / get tools out / put away and clear up once, surely results in less time and effort per loco than would result from building three completely separately, with all thoughts and equipment turned to other tasks between locos?

I'm sure the locos as finished will amply justify the pulling out of hair at this stage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Doncaster 1880...................

manna

that would be something different to see, the original station building before it became the island platform building and the level crossing at the north end before the bridge was built

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 08:54, gr.king said:

I'm sure the locos as finished will amply justify the pulling out of hair at this stage.

I usually cut my hair to a grade 5 (easier for work) ...right now it's down to a 2..

The 3 chassis are just about done, I'm probably about 95% happy with them but to achieve the extra 5% would drive me mad. So with those out of the way I've started on the bodies themselves. 

Fairly straightforward to clean them up and fix the handrails, and I now need to pick 2 prototypes I've got pictures for, to add any extra details such as pipework.

455.JPG.1c1d4e3f427a7e8fcb6c5a02edefd23c.JPG

I'm pleased with how these are turning out, but at the same time I'll be glad when they're done 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent builds Dave impressive stuff.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

If you ever give up the building/carpentry business, you might find a good market for locos like these.

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

If you ever give up the building/carpentry business, you might find a good market for locos like these.

I can build a house much quicker :D

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5