chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

I don't believe you... have you finished that over the shop rebuild yet????

How do they run with the compensation?

Andy G

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, uax6 said:

I don't believe you... have you finished that over the shop rebuild yet????

There has to be one.....actually it's nearly done, structurally it will now keep standing for another 145 years rather than end up as a pile of rubble,  it's final fit out with a kitchen and bathroom china and a bit of paint.

Comp is working ok, I tried on the rolling road without any weight and they ran ok, added some weight and they ran even better.  The problem with such a small loco as this, is fitting pick ups, there just isn't much room at all and very little of the wheel face available to wipe against.  If it was just a one off for me, I might have looked at a split chassis although I could only see that being a rigid rather than comp chassis.

• Like 2

I'm getting onto the home straight with the construction of these 2.   Handrails and lamp irons have been added, I used .55mm rod for the lamp irons as it has a bit more strength than flat strip should they be mishandled (which definately happens).

One of the last jobs before priming is the tender coal rails for which I've made a simple paper template to aid soldering them.

456.JPG.1bb483ce3d8d56d449d5f3ba3418cf29.JPG

Next up will be priming and then top coats, there are 4 other locos in the paint queue, so I may do them 'en masse'..........or I might come to my senses....:crazy_mini:

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

What are you using for your coal rails Dave?

Looking good. If you’ve got all those locos to paint now, I’m concerned about your sanity after lining them. As I said on the phone, BR blue, nobody will notice.

Edited by JCL
  • Funny 2

I quite enjoy lining, but then again the LMS was a bit more sensible than those East Coast fools, only black and yellow to do, and one line of each....

And before you ask, no I'm not.... You could just make them so dirty that you can't see what colour they are painted...

Andy G

You know you want to Andy.

• Agree 1

Painting a model is the thing I hate the most, but Lining I don't mind, but I'm not daft enough to get involved with doing GN or LNER lining, that's just daft!

Are you going transfer or Bow pen?

Andy G

I use staples for Lamp Irons , you will never bend them !!.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Painting a model is the thing I hate the most, but Lining I don't mind, but I'm not daft enough to get involved with doing GN or LNER lining, that's just daft!

Are you going transfer or Bow pen?

Andy G

I'm actually going to try making up some decals with the bow pen (if that makes sense) 

2 minutes ago, micklner said:

I use staples for Lamp Irons , you will never bend them !!.

Thanks Mick, I'd not thought of using those.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Have you had chance to test the ability of the printed green tender panels to resist the tendency to change colour over time, with or without the effects of light and atmosphere?

47 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

You could use the method I used on Emily:

I have thought of trying that way, but I need to change the printer first as it's playing up with stray lines appearing (doesn't matter with work documents) I'm just working my way through my supply of ink before changing it as I'm too tight.

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

I'm too tight.

No, just thoroughly sensible.

• Agree 2

Thinking about it, even though it won't cope with the weight / thickness of the kind of photo paper I prefer for best prints, I'm sticking with my current printer until it ceases to print properly, simply because it cost me nothing in the first place! My wallet is most impressed.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Thinking about it, even though it won't cope with the weight / thickness of the kind of photo paper I prefer for best prints, I'm sticking with my current printer until it ceases to print properly, simply because it cost me nothing in the first place! My wallet is most impressed.

I wouldn't mind if the machine had given me a decent working life, but it's only 2 years or so old.  I could just get a better scanner and keep this to print as it's the scanner/copier part that is playing up.

I'm waiting for some decal paper to arrive, then I'll see whether some of what I want to do is possible.

16 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I wouldn't mind if the machine had given me a decent working life, but it's only 2 years or so old.  I could just get a better scanner and keep this to print as it's the scanner/copier part that is playing up.

I'm waiting for some decal paper to arrive, then I'll see whether some of what I want to do is possible.

The HP machines I buy seem to be cheaper than the refills !!!

• Agree 1

Ah the old loss-leader trick. Make a loss on the machine, but screw the customer for ink which dries up after a fortnight. I had an Epson like that.

It was also a crap printer, then got replace with an HP, which apart from the scanner having died is still a great printer and doesn't get through vast amounts of ink. Its now 12 years old, so I think I've got my monies worth, but until it dies completely its staying.

Andy G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Ah the old loss-leader trick. Make a loss on the machine, but screw the customer for ink which dries up after a fortnight. I had an Epson like that.

It was also a crap printer, then got replace with an HP, which apart from the scanner having died is still a great printer and doesn't get through vast amounts of ink. Its now 12 years old, so I think I've got my monies worth, but until it dies completely its staying.

Andy G

Andy

HP are actually very good as have been the Cannon printers I have owned, granted the cartridges that come with the machines don't have much ink in them, but new cartridges are still quite cheap and for the home user  I doubt if I have spent over £100 in total for the past 3 or 4 years 

6 hours ago, hayfield said:

HP are actually very good as have been the Cannon printers I have owned

This is a Canon (MG6851) everything else works ok, just not the scanner.

I too had a Canon LaserJet printer (having been fed up with inkjets that run out of ink every 30 or so pages so it seemed) that progressively decided to not do what it was supposed to do.  

Firstly it stopped scanning to the computer - but would still scan to a stick.

Then it stopped copying.  But I copy little, but could scan to the stick, load to the computer and print from there - faff but workable.

Then it stopped scanning to the stick.

Then it went to printer hell.

In between times I tried everything I could think of including deleting the software and reloading the latest version on-line.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I always have clogging problems with print heads and it's cheaper to by a new one. They are full of useful bits and bob's though, like motors, so it's not a total loss every time they go phut. 

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1

I have had a Canon MG5250 printer scanner for a number of years which has performed faultlessly without any problems. I have used compatible inks , rather than Canon's own, for quite a while without any issues too.

Prior to that I had HP and found that we had to use genuine cartridges as the built in print heads on the non-genuine ones were prone to problems. The HP laser printer at the local office of a national charity, where my wife is a volunteer, won't recognise or work with other than HP's own toner cartridges.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have an HP Photsmart, (can't remember the model as I am abroad at the moment), neer had a problem with it.

It must be at least 10 years old now.

I use cartridges from Cartridge World on line. Never had a problem with them.

All work. 

• Informative/Useful 1