chris p bacon

Sandy, GN & LNWR, Sandy & Potton Tramway.

Unbelievable as it may seem but progress is actually going at a steady pace !

This is board 7

post-4738-0-98439200-1412334421_thumb.jpg

Apart from a bit of fettling and some ballast shoulders trackwork is now complete so the time has come to disconnect it and spin it on its side for point motors and wiring.

post-4738-0-32744800-1412334435_thumb.jpg

I will keep the wiring as simple as possible, I did consider using plugs and sockets for board connections but it seems a bit of overkill, so what I intend using is simple choc blocks with a brass pin cut and inserted to make a cheap plug and socket. The blocks are pretty robust and more than sufficient for Sandy's requirements. Of course having absolutely oodles of them for work might have something to do with the decision to use them. Same goes for the wire clips I will use.

So while board 7 sits on it's side, tracklaying has now progressed to board 5

post-4738-0-74222200-1412334449_thumb.jpg

This has some complex pointwork. The building of this caused headaches and headscratching with many hours spent toiling over it.........well I suppose it did but I have no real idea if it did as all I do is answer the door to the postman when Norman Saunders sends another parcel :imsohappy: it's a very difficult job opening these parcels and possibly at the limit of my ability so luckily Norman makes a superb job of the pointwork.

I check it against the layout board and mark out and cut holes for the point motor bar.

post-4738-0-57650300-1412334462_thumb.jpg

It is then laid out on the template board for plain track, fishplates and wiring to be added before spraying. I'm using a mixture of Precision and Railmatch so that it does not have a uniform look about it.

I have split the template between front and back as it is too much to build in one go, the three sidings at the rear will probably be laid in one hit as they are mainly plain track.

I have to make some more samples for the yard as most of the track was buried to the sleeper top with ash as well as ballast, as the yard was fairly level I might infill the areas between with plaster bandage for a slighty rougher surface so that wagon wheel marks etc can be gouged more easily.

Nurse is now calling.........

• Like 10

Yes, he be a clever chap that Norman. All looking very impressive Dave - keep plugging away, it will all be very much worth it in the end, which may not be nigh, but will come, eventually.

Yes, he be a clever chap that Norman. All looking very impressive Dave - keep plugging away, it will all be very much worth it in the end, which may not be nigh, but will come, eventually.

Aaaah yes....well..... I foolishly said to some club members that came over to laugh at see progress that I would have something running in 12 months....that was in March :O  So I technically have 6 months to get something up and running ... :help:         Although I didn't say I would have it all up and running.........I mentioned this on Tuesday evening and was met with much smirking....

The plan is to have each board running independantly (electrically) so in theory when I have wired 6, 7 & 8 I will cobble together some control so I can start running something Pacific like through the pointwork....purely for testing purposes only.. :acute:

• Like 1

Progress , progress, progress.. . . . . . .yes I know unbelievable isn't it !

I was asked a week or 2 ago (at club ? can't remember?) how I actually lay the track and I said I would post some pics.

First off start with a Templot plan stuck to the board and a turnout made by a professional, wire the turn out and drill the holes through the baseboard for the wires.

post-4738-0-82503300-1413556285_thumb.jpg

Next cut out the template for the area of the turnout only, this is so that you can use the adjascent template to line the rails, next a good spread of glue evenly distributed.

post-4738-0-88174900-1413556297_thumb.jpg

Next lay the turnout onto the glue and press evenly (I use a wood block so as not to push too hard with fingers

post-4738-0-38134900-1413556310_thumb.jpg

then sprinkle an even coat of ballast over, I don't tamp the ballast as the glue has a very high "tack" so as soon as the ballast is in contact there is no letting go of it.

post-4738-0-64185900-1413556321_thumb.jpg

Leave for a while then hoover up the loose.

For me though it was on to the next board

All the turnouts for board 6 were laid out and the holes drilled for wiring, as there are so many turnouts interlinked I opted to lay them all in one go.

post-4738-0-01113400-1413556333_thumb.jpg

When laid some weights were added, these were more to stop lateral movement than to pin them down.

post-4738-0-93652900-1413556343_thumb.jpg

I let the glue set on the pointwork and cleaned up before laying the plain track.

post-4738-0-66195600-1413556353_thumb.jpg

After cleaning up.

post-4738-0-23201900-1413556365_thumb.jpg

There is still one more turnout to do on board 6 but 3,4,5 & 6 need pulling off the wall to be able to do that so the back of the boards will be tackled in one go when the track has been assembled.

I have some Tortoise and need to wire them, I shall pick up some bits at Peterborough show Saturday so that I can make some progress with the underside of the boards.

That's enough for now as I have to get back to work.

:bye:

• Like 10

Ooops maybe i should have said earlier i had pway plans for 49 points when they were relaid icw the cwr program..

Ooops maybe i should have said earlier i had pway plans for 49 points when they were relaid icw the cwr program..

I'm always interested in any info for Sandy, if nothing else but to see how and when things changed. :good:

Positively racing along now Dave! And looking very good.

Maybe. . .but I haven't done a close up yet . . . .all those fish plates to paint :O

I'll rust the check rails at the same time.

Wow - that's some tracklaying session! Looking good...

What glue are you using Chris?...er ...Dave(!)

Wow - that's some tracklaying session! Looking good...

What glue are you using Chris?...er ...Dave(!)

I've not used PVA this time as it sets rock hard, the glue is a carpet tile adhesive which has a high tack to it. It is a latex adhesive so has a "spongey" feel to it.

This is a similar make

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultrabond-eco-tack-carpet-tackifier-5kg-beige/50146

The one I have was about £30 for 5 litres, which will be enough for Sandy with a small amount left over, I have to say I have found it much nicer to work with than PVA which is a glue I use all the time at work, the quality of PVA is so variable now with the cheaper being runnier than water and no better than flour and water.

Thanks Dave - interesting.

I need to do some wholesale ballasting and, whilst I generally get on fine with PVA for carpentry, I'm having mixed results with the few trials sections I've done so far. I've heard of others using Copydex, which I believe is also a rubber-based glue. Looks like I'll have to do some more experimenting.

Edited by LNER4479

Thanks Dave - interesting.

I need to do some wholesale ballasting and, whilst I generally get on fine with PVA for carpentry, I'm having mixed results with the few trials sections I've done so far. I've heard of others using Copydex, which I believe is also a rubber-based glue. Looks like I'll have to do some more experimenting.

Yes it has the elasticity of copydex (not used it for ages) but a high tack rate, I've used it many years ago for work and Norman Saunders suggested using it for tracklaying. It acts just like PVA but doesn't set rock hard.

Hi Chris, Dave, P or even Bacon

as a fellow local enthusiast although in a smaller scale I really enjoy your progress. Do I understand you're the gentleman which is in the possession of the drawings of Potton/ Gamlingay station ?

best regards

Maurits

Hi Chris, Dave, P or even Bacon

as a fellow local enthusiast although in a smaller scale I really enjoy your progress. Do I understand you're the gentleman which is in the possession of the drawings of Potton/ Gamlingay station ?

best regards

Maurits

Hello Maurits

Sort of. . . . .As Sandy is a mirror image of Potton station I measured it up a while ago and made up some preliminary sketches to aid building it. I took the opportunity of a sunny (at the start) day when I passed, to run a tape over the buildings but apart from that I haven't made any progress on the buildings until the trackwork is complete, tested and running ( update and pics on that soon).

If you need to visit then George is very approachable, I can put you in touch with him or if you look at my signature strip at the bottom there is a link to the GNR society and he can be contacted with the [email protected] address. . . . . (yes he is the chairman. . . . . . I am the mem sec)

If you are doing anything at all Potton based then George (obviously) has lots of info as he has lived in the station since before closure, he has spotting lists from the early 60's as well as many photo's,signalling diagrams etc, I have some Potton info but only a few items, I have little on Gamlingay. 

Which part are you modelling and what are you after ?

Dave......Chris......Dave

Thanks Dave

I know George, have spoken to him on occasions and he has allowed me to take lots of pictures. but I though if the works is already done.....

I am going to (re) build a layout with has no particularly area, in fact it's rule 1, 1 and again 1 although I will use the current ecml for ideas. The only reason why I would love to copy Potton/ Gamlingay is purely because I live 250 metres from the old Gamlingay station and my study overlooks the old track bedding.

thanks for sharing your thoughts

M. 

No problem.

I can sort out a copy of what I have drawn of Potton for you, it has been done to 4mm scale (I presume you are 2mm)

I have drawn it the "correct" way round on tracing so that George can have a copy, and to turn it into Sandy I photocopy it wrong way round. I also have some pictures of Potton too which I can put on disc.

I've checked and apart from the usual publications I don't have anything on Gamgee.....

Also for info there is a member of EBMRS (another 2mm'ler) who has just moved into Gamgee on the Kier site near the station.  although he has a hankering for the Midland. . .you're never far away from one it seems...... :O

The time has come for another thrilling instalment of. . . .not a lot. . . .well a bit. . . but not as much as hoped. . .

Now where was I . . . .Oh yes board 7.

Now I had tipped this one on its side so that wiring was much easier, breing DCC it is easy as it is a 2 wire system . .Yeh right. . . . just 2 wires but bloomin loads of them. Actually it is pretty simple as they all end up in one socket. Now I was originally going to solder them all up onto a busbar but ended up using connector strips and I'm glad I did, as I assembled I tested and no problems came to light but at the end there was a short showing on the continuety tester, I slowly worked my way around things without success so decided the easiest thing to do was simply dewire everything and start again. It didn't take long and the fault turned out to be a fault on a Tortoise connector (more of this later) with everything tested it was put back together and hey presto all tested fine. had I of soldered then it would of been a bit messy to desolder, the layout isn't meant to move so the connectors are more than satisfactory.

post-4738-0-50931100-1421518369_thumb.jpg

The Tortoise's are fitted and checked with a simple tester (power supply and DPDT switch) that energises them and you can run them back and forth as many times as you want. Each board has a flying lead for power and flying leads for point motor control, as you can see I have a surplus of .75mm twin and .75mm twin & earth in old colours, so working on the "waste not want not" principle I have used them for the leads, I also have alarm and telephone cable to use (multistrand) on the other boards when I run out.

So with track and electrics now complete on boards 6,7 & 8 attention turns to No 5 (track is laid on 6), a xmas present arrived from Norman of the pointwork required.

post-4738-0-34893200-1421518379_thumb.jpg

These were laid out and as usual were a superb fit to the template. I had in the meantime ordered and had delivered enough sleeper bases, fishplates and rail (picked up from Warley) along with the Tortoise motors to finish off 98% of the remaining track, it has to be 98% as I am bound to have forgotten something or miscalulated !

I made up a simple jig ages ago to assemble the sleepers and rail and over xmas sat at my small work table feeding rail into sleepers sat in the living room watching a bit of tv, so far 25M has been done with about another 20 to go.

I'm happy with what has been laid so far, it flows so much better than the Peco and although it is quite a daunting task to take everything up and start again it was definately the right decision

post-4738-0-44844200-1421518388_thumb.jpg

Now all I have to do is master the bloomin camera !

One thing at a time. . . . . . .and I still struggle. . . .

I'm off to my room.

• Like 14

thanks for the update, look forward to see some trains running soon.

Thanks.

I am purposely avoiding anything other than track, wiring and point motors,  if I wander off down another avenue it'll take ages to get the track finished. When it's laid and I'm happy with it I'll probably just operate with some of my older stock and recent RTR and concentrate on some of the buildings and signals.

I have about 2 1/2 months of my original bet left  . . . . . it's going to be close. .

• Like 2

Hi Chris, erm Dave, good to see your progress and good luck with the 12 month challenge!  The new trackwork certainly looks a lot better than the Peco version.

Without wanting to hijack too much, I grew up in Gamlingay, and still visit relatives there from time to time.  On a visit before Christmas I went for a walk on the new footpath from the Eco Hub to Station Road, part of which is briefly on the old trackbed, although scarcely recognisable as such.  There's a nice information panel with a description on the station and a picture (painting?) depicting it in LNWR days.  I think I imagined a ghostly echo of a Black 5's hooter!

I've got a few pictures taken by my late father, mainly black and white and taken a few years before and after closure.  Here's one showing a Brush 2 with an Engineer's crane involved in lifting the sidings at the station.  This was while the line was still open, probably around 1965; the goods yards at the intermediate stations closed, and were lifted, quite a while before the passenger service ended and the line closed completely at the end of 1967.

post-31-0-38372100-1421662119.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Chris, erm Dave, good to see your progress and good luck with the 12 month challenge!  The new trackwork certainly looks a lot better than the Peco version.

Without wanting to hijack too much, I grew up in Gamlingay, and still visit relatives there from time to time.  On a visit before Christmas I went for a walk on the new footpath from the Eco Hub to Station Road, part of which is briefly on the old trackbed, although scarcely recognisable as such.  There's a nice information panel with a description on the station and a picture (painting?) depicting it in LNWR days.  I think I imagined a ghostly echo of a Black 5's hooter!

I've got a few pictures taken by my late father, mainly black and white and taken a few years before and after closure.  Here's one showing a Brush 2 with an Engineer's crane involved in lifting the sidings at the station.  This was while the line was still open, probably around 1965; the goods yards at the intermediate stations closed, and were lifted, quite a while before the passenger service ended and the line closed completely at the end of 1967.

attachicon.gifGamlingay Stn 01 copy.jpg

Post away as much as you like, anything to do with "The branch" is interesting as pretty much all trains passed through Sandy.

I think you are right with 65 for the lifting although weren't the yards out of use in 62/3 ?

Quite possibly so, Dave.  I was very young at the time and don't really have much recollection of that period, and don't suppose I would have been very aware of such things!  I seem to remember a trip to Cambridge on the train and passing a steam engine (Black 5 I think) shunting in the sidings at either Lord's Bridge or Old North Road station.

• Like 1