Recently outshopped from the Cambridge Wagon Works

Care to add a little detail to clarify what you have done - particularly to the ferry tanks?

Jon

Jon,

The finished crane is solely due to the etchings that I bought from you ages ago. It is rigged and operates as per the prototype - I moved the winch drums to their correct positions.

I replaced the knurled moulded winch drum stems with machine screws superglued into drilled and tapped holes - the screws were cut short and filed square to fit the bore of some square brass tube that I use to operate the winches.

Crane 272 was allocated to Hereford, but I have no evidence whatsoever that it was paired with an O5 runner! It looks the part, though.

The ferry tanks?

I took the Airfix / Dapol kit chassis moulding and milled off everything above the top of solebar level. I did this on my Unimat, but the same result could be achieved with a large file, care, and a finer file.

I also removed the bearings and springs from the solebar / axleguard mouldings, and the buffers from the bufferbeam mouldings.

The chassis was then assembled; the springs, bearings and buffers were added using Appleby Model Engineering castings; the brake platforms are etched chequerplate; the handrails and footsteps are soldered up from brass wire and strip; the brass handbrake columns were turned, (easily done with a minidrill and Swiss files); the brake wheel is an etching, as are the brake levers.

The Hornby Dublo Traffic Services tanks were acquired as 'less than mint' from Ebay; (anyone want some HD chassis?); and I simply improved the end flame tube detail by using the moulded blanking plates on new plastic tubes.

Markings are, naturally, my own Cambridge Custom Transfers.

No rocket science here - simply what we used to call kit-bashing'; rapidly becoming a lost skill, methinks!

I roll my eyes every time someone says of a new item of RTR or kit rolling-stock 'why didn't they produce this or that variant'! Thats what razor saws and plastic card are for - and it's called Railway Modelling !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 14

• 4 months later...

Might I ask for a bit more detail on the work done to the bogie tanks?

The chassis and end restraints were narrowed to scale, and the bogies replaced by ones from Cambrian Models; (I shortened the wheelbase of these to exact scale, but it's not really noticeable).

The Tri-ang models represents a de-lagged tank; for a lagged tank, use lengthened Airfix / Dapol Esso wagon kit tanks.

The holding-down straps are brass strip and wire soldered together.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

Hi John,

I must have missed the original post somehow. These are very well finished wagons! I am interested to see you use couplings which are either Hornby Dublo or the Peco equivalent. You don't see them used very often these days.

All the best,

Colin

Hi John,

...... I am interested to see you use couplings which are either Hornby Dublo or the Peco equivalent. You don't see them used very often these days......

Colin

Yes - you can tell that my first OO trains were HD, can't you? The Peco / HD Simplex coupling has been my standard since then, though they're not cheap nowadays.

My stock has massively expanded over the years; (765 items at present), so there is no possibility of changing.

On that subject, I saw an announcement that Peco were to produce a Simplex coupler to fit a NEM pocket - but that was some time ago ......!?!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

They're lovely bits of work, John. You mention the former Triang bogie tanks being 'unlagged'- what traffic were these used for, and what livery did they carry? A colleague has some (in their original boxes) in his attic; I might be tempted to offer him some beer vouchers for them..

The ICI 4-wheel ammonia tanks were used on one of the more obscure early block train workings; from Haverton Hill to the ROF (later ICI) explosives plant near Dowlais. Rather than being routed via Newport or Pontypool Road, it went via Hereford, Three Cocks Junction, Brecon and thence by the Brecon and Merthyr.

You mention the former Triang bogie tanks being 'unlagged'- what traffic were these used for, and what livery did they carry?

Brian,

post-2274-0-80709700-1350995250_thumb.jpg

This is a lagged tank wagon; note the holding-down straps disappearing into the lagging. It has a larger diameter tank created from Airfix / Dapol Esso kit tanks.

post-2274-0-70988000-1350995196_thumb.jpg

This is a de-lagged tank wagon; note the holding down straps visible above the tank surface. The tank is as produced by Tri-ang.

Both had the ICI corporate blue livery, as modelled, and were used for ammonia traffic. I am no expert of ICI wagon traffic, I'm afraid - just a sucker for an unusual wagon type.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

They're lovely bits of work, John. You mention the former Triang bogie tanks being 'unlagged'- what traffic were these used for, and what livery did they carry? A colleague has some (in their original boxes) in his attic; I might be tempted to offer him some beer vouchers for them..

The ICI 4-wheel ammonia tanks were used on one of the more obscure early block train workings; from Haverton Hill to the ROF (later ICI) explosives plant near Dowlais. Rather than being routed via Newport or Pontypool Road, it went via Hereford, Three Cocks Junction, Brecon and thence by the Brecon and Merthyr.

There are photographs of the bogie tank wagons, as well as other ICI tank wagons near the end of their lives at http://paulbartlett....om/iciunfittank

The bogie tanks could be in a darkish red as well as the ICI blue.

John also used some of the photographs in http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icichemical which are internationally registered tank wagons.

The wagon repairers we visited were always very jumpy about us photographing ICI tank wagons, although the main reception sidings at their own site at Folly Lane, Runcorn was (remains) totally viewable from a public road.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

The ammonia tank wagons used on the Heysham-Middlesborough trains in the fifties were lettered M O S as per the Bachmann 33-510 model. The Heysham plant was ICI and I assume the MOS livery dated from wartime or just after. I don't recall seeing any other livery on these trains. The insulation can't have been brilliant as they always had a layer of "frost" form the top to about halfway down the sides of the tank when heading towards Teesside loaded. An interesting modelling challenge to get the texture right.

Do you have any pictures of these wagons in service Paul?

Edward

The ammonia tank wagons used on the Heysham-Middlesborough trains in the fifties were lettered M O S as per the Bachmann 33-510 model. The Heysham plant was ICI and I assume the MOS livery dated from wartime or just after. I don't recall seeing any other livery on these trains. The insulation can't have been brilliant as they always had a layer of "frost" form the top to about halfway down the sides of the tank when heading towards Teesside loaded. An interesting modelling challenge to get the texture right.

Do you have any pictures of these wagons in service Paul?

Edward

How old do you think I am? No, I'm a Southerner and never saw this flow, even during the blue diesel era.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi John,

As with others I missed your original posts.  These are great work, and it's good to see that the art/science of kit-bashing is still alive and well.  The tankers, in particular, are impressive.  The shade of blue looks good; what paint did you use for it?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• 5 months later...
On 22/06/2021 at 12:41, Waveydavey said:

The blue ICI Ammonia tank that features above John appears to be a smooth sided tank. Did you smooth off the riveted panels from the Airfix tank body or have you replaced it?

Cheers

David

As far as I can recall, the smooth tank would have been filed / sanded down.

CJI.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 13:00, Alex TM said:

Hi John,

As with others I missed your original posts.  These are great work, and it's good to see that the art/science of kit-bashing is still alive and well.  The tankers, in particular, are impressive.  The shade of blue looks good; what paint did you use for it?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

I had a rattlecan of paint custom-matched to ICI Transport Blue.

A complete waste of money - the result is BR Rail Blue !!

As Dr. Beeching came from ICI, perhaps that isn't surprising !

CJI.

• Thanks 1