Railex 2013 Aylesbury 25th & 26th May

David Bigcheeseplant

I spent yesterday going though several hundred exit forms people filled in at Railex, and thought I would share the some of the comments and feedback recived.

most comments recived were about the food in the cafe and seating, like most sports centres our hands are tied on what it on offer but if anyone has suggestions on what they would like on the menu then I will pass on the comments to the stadium and see what we can do for next year.

Most people who took the bus to the stadium loved it although did suggest we could have the bus stop outside the stadium entrance. We did plan to do this although due to the barrier to the overspill car park at the stadium being locked we took the decision to revert to the school bus stop on the Saturday morning to avoid total conjection at the stadium.

Can we run the bus every half hour? We did this for the first few runs on Saturday morning and even added an extra run in to cope with the amount of people who used it. hopefully we can increase the frequency on Saturday morning and mid afternoon when the bus was full.

Can tickets be bigger? These are issued by the stadium but I will think about what we can do for next year.

Can tickets be issued on the bus? We did this with a limited number of tickets this year as an exprement which proved to be very sucessfull, hopefully we will do the same next year with tickets avalible on both days. 

How did you here about Railex? The biggest by a big factor was flyers and webside. the Railway Modeller and MRJ were the most named mags followed by BRM, Model Rail and Hornby Magizine in that order, these three were around half the number of The Modeller and MRJ.

The vast majority of people are planning to visit next year with a few maybes and only one who said no!

David

• RMweb Gold

Simple answer if you want a bigger ticket - buy an advance one, they are a very sensible size and still fit in a jacket pocket (just).

I didn't put in a comments form because I didn't have anything to comment about or seek changes.  My onlycomment - if I had made one - would be the cafe area which is, I think, beyond the Railex organisation to change as the only real difficulty is the lack of seating at times and the only answer to that is seats outside.  I have now eaten at the cafeteria 3 years in succession and, if anything, the quality of the food has got better over that time and is definitely to a reasonable standard; it is certainly a  lot better and more comprehensive in range than the offering within the building at some other exhibitions I have attended.  

David, perhaps two buses would be an advantage on Saturday with an RT used on Sunday as RM,s are alright but so many are used on this sort of service, this would add to the overall ambience!!!!!!!!!!!

The bus we use is run by friend so we get it a a good rate, vintage busses are not that easy to find for events like Railex, I know Terry Bendall was unable to find a vintage bus when he does Scaleforum at Aylesbury in September so is using a local coach company at quite a bit more money than we pay.

You have to give the driver a timed rest period during the day for legal requirements, so we are unable to do a continious shuttle through the day.

As for seating in the cafe we can hire more tables and chairs in but with nearly 2000 visitors on the Saturday is going to be busy even if the cafe was four times the size.

David

Archived