Railex 2013 Aylesbury 25th & 26th May

David Bigcheeseplant

Thank you David (and Ant) for creating one of the most outstanding shows; although busy it wasn't too crowded; an excellent viewing and buying environment.

Bucks Hill's backscene is a whole new level; truly stunning and I don't think Buckjumper or I will be the only ones to come away with snaps of it.

Bucks_Hill_1s.jpg

Blog entry extolling the virtues of said craftsmanship - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1342/entry-11722-outstanding-literally/

Thank you David (and Ant) for creating one of the most outstanding shows; although busy it wasn't too crowded; an excellent viewing and buying environment.

Bucks Hill's backscene is a whole new level; truly stunning and I don't think Buckumper or I will be the only ones to come away with snaps of it.

attachicon.gifBucks_Hill_1s.jpg

Blog entry extolling the virtues of said craftsmanship - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1342/entry-11722-outstanding-literally/

....buckumper sounds more interesting than his proper alias Andy ;-)

Another cracking Railex from David and the Risborough & District team. I don't know how they do it each year, but long may it continue.

I had  planned to include a look round in between duties on the Pendon stand, but with our "Non-Stop Through The Vale" video in particular proving a great hit, we were kept quite busy and there weren't many chances to get away. 

From the all too brief glimpses as I dashed past, it's such a fantastic line up that I've changed my plans for tomorrow and will be going back as a paying visitor for a more leisurely look round.

"All killer, no filler".

Andy

• RMweb Premium

So much to see, and so little time. I'm sure I missed at least one layout. But what I did see was very good. I only managed a few photos, I may sort some out to post later.

In the interest of efficiency I've managed to squeeze all the layouts into one photo for you.

post-6821-0-65653800-1369505685_thumb.jpg

My lunchtime view.

Well done and thanks to all.

....buckumper sounds more interesting than his proper alias Andy ;-)

Cheeky...! :acute:

Fencehouses did what 2mm does best - about half a county by the size of it!  The viaduct was just one big-little scene (if you get my drift) which was breathtaking.

post-6672-0-54983400-1369506285_thumb.jpg

...some great pics Adrian and others...not all of the views can be enjoyed 'live' at the show whilst trying to negotiate the crowds, chat with others, look for trade needs etc ...good to sit back in the armchair and savour a few more scenes.

ATB

Dave

...some great pics Adrian and others...not all of the views can be enjoyed 'live' at the show whilst trying to negotiate the crowds, chat with others, look for trade needs etc ...good to sit back in the armchair and savour a few more scenes.

Cheers Dave, but I'm tearing my hair out at the blurry ones, some of which could have been so good. I was using the barriers to steady the phone, but there must have been more jostling than I thought at the time :(  Time to begin shovelling the tribe into their respective beds, so more pics later when peace descends.

I and my good Lady went along today.

Although I live fairly locally I confess I haven't been to Railex for some years.

I can only endorse what others have said. The show was excellent and the quality of layouts without exception outstanding.

I am not sure I could pick a favourite, but I thought the sheer scale of Fencehouses for a 2mm layout was breathtaking. I stood at the Viaduct end for some time watching the trains cross. it was easy to get so absorbed in the scene that it felt almost real.

Well done and congratualtions to Risborough Club. Being involved in the organising of my own Club's show I know how much work is needed. Railex is most certainly on my list for next year.

I explained to my good Lady before we went that this would be very much a "modellers" show, with lots of trade, some rarely seen. By way of constructive feedback from her perspective as a non-modeller she would have liked a slightly greater bias towards layouts, but she did agree that of all the shows I have dragged her to, the standard of layouts was by far the best. Her favourite? St Ruth.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Very much looking forward to visiting tomorrow, looks to be a superb selection of layouts. Watch the western horizon for the DRAG flotilla approaching...

Shall we ready the long nines in preparation!? 

• RMweb Gold

You'll be firing on yourself if you do!!!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I mean from on-board Captain, do keep up! One presumed the hardy men from 'The North' might try to intercept us along the M4 corridor... 

• RMweb Gold

I mean from on-board Captain, do keep up! One presumed the hardy men from 'The North' might try to intercept us along the M4 corridor... 

Why would we fire on our destination, certainly before our chance to rape and pillage buy some goodies from the trade stands?!  :lol:

And I suspect those hardy Northern Gentlemen will be sleeping off an excess of southern nancy beer, to see us creeping into harbour.  :P

Anyway, isn't it time you're in bed, young Sir?! Early start tomorrow! Toodle pip!

• RMweb Gold

Very much looking forward to visiting tomorrow, looks to be a superb selection of layouts. Watch the western horizon for the DRAG flotilla approaching...

I'll keep my eyes out for you Captain.It would be great to catch up.

• RMweb Gold

Why would we fire on our destination, certainly before our chance to rape and pillage buy some goodies from the trade stands?!  :lol:

And I suspect those hardy Northern Gentlemen will be sleeping off an excess of southern nancy beer, to see us creeping into harbour.  :P

Anyway, isn't it time you're in bed, young Sir?! Early start tomorrow! Toodle pip!

Well Tallyho old bean. Yippy-yap and zing-zang sprits! All ready to bully off for the finial chocker?!

• RMweb Gold

You two had better hope I don't sleep through my alarm then or you'll both be walking :jester:

Never been to Railex before, but very glad I made the long trek into Darkest Bucks! One of the best exhibitions I have been to - not a single duff layout there - usually, there's at least one (and often several) at almost every exhibition I have no interest in. All were of extremely high quality and several have given me food for thought and inspiration to do better myself. Congrats to Mr Cheeseplant and his co conspirators!

One idea that other clubs would do well to copy is to sell tickets on the bus from the station ....

David C

• RMweb Gold

Just home from Railex, and had a great day helping out on Tucking Mill. This was my first Railex, and I found the standard of layouts to be extremely high, the pinnacle of which (for me) was the fabulous 'Bucks Hill'. The scenery work is outstanding and the forced perspective is easily the most convincing I've ever seen on a layout. I only had the iPhone with me so apologies for the dodgy quality, but I was particularly taken with the distant town scene:

post-1467-0-81551900-1369514447_thumb.jpg

This was also the first time I’ve seen Fencehouses in the flesh and that really is something to behold considering it's 2mm Finescale!

Anyway, if you are in the Aylesbury area and at a loose end tomorrow, i'd highly recommend a visit!

Tom.

These two photos of Jerry Clifford's Tucking Mill in no way whatsoever show the layout in its best light, but I can't tell you how utterly entranced I was by it.  The little loco did my head in just contemplating how it was built, and the silky-smooth running  and the travel of the crossheads in the slidebars was better than I've seen some 4mm and 7mm locos at other exhibitions.  I didn't have the heart to tease Jerry about the lack of working 3-link couplings... ;)

post-6672-0-66753900-1369514607_thumb.jpg

post-6672-0-72924300-1369515287_thumb.jpg

And how small is that viaduct?

Edit: Lightened 2nd photo a little.

Coming to the end of my viewable  photos, and I'm really cheesed that none I took of Heyside are fit for public consumption, and surprised that I didn't get to take pics of many of the other excellent layouts including Polbrook and St. Merryn.

I think it's fitting to end my contribution to the thread with Bucks Hill, and words really don't do it justice.  However, if push came to shove I'd have to say Heyside pipped it for me.  Richard and his team have produced a stunning layout at a consistently high level. It's more astonishing to note that the layout is still a long way from completion. The signal gantries...simply stunning (check the link out!)

All-in-all I think 2013 will be looked back on as THE classic Railex, and the bar has been set incredibly high. Thanks David and the team for an excellent show.

post-6672-0-32494100-1369516714_thumb.jpg

Some excellent photos already. I'll be heading that way tomorrow morning, children in tow. Hopefully they'll survive long enough without getting too bored for me to get some decent pics of my own.

Archived