Class 60 grills

Rammstein2609

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new Farish class 60 but looking at the pics of it can see something which bugs me a little. Overall it looks like a brilliant model but are the grills on the side a little too course?

I have a Hornby 60 and the grills look brilliant compared to pics of the real thing but the Farish one looks odd to me. Obviously there are limits for etching in such a small scale. I can also admit to never seeing one of the models in the flesh for a long enough time to look at it properly.

Can anyone who owns one tell me if the grill is that noticeable under normal operating situations.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

I'm perfectly happy with the grills on them, yes they are a little on the chunky side, but the see through effect is well worth it when compared to the prospect of a solid moulding. The chunkiness doesn't jar as much as with the roof grill on the Dapol 67, and I do seem to remember Mr Taylor mentioning something about the possibility of a replacement etch for the 60 grills. I can't remember if he said that the ones off his 60 kit will fit as replacement, or whether it'd need a new etch drawing up

cheers

jo

Thanks for the reply Jo.

These sort of things don't normally bother me. I'm used to 00 which I have recently put aside for a while and now I'm about to start in the world of 2mm finescale so thought that while I was changing couplers and detailing locos I may as well try and get other details such as the grills right.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for the reply Jo.

These sort of things don't normally bother me. I'm used to 00 which I have recently put aside for a while and now I'm about to start in the world of 2mm finescale so thought that while I was changing couplers and detailing locos I may as well try and get other details such as the grills right.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

Here is a comparison of the farish 60 and the TPM kit for an example of the TPM grills. TPM is the top one B)

DSC_9465.jpg

DSC_9468.jpg

HTH

Hi Martin

Here is a comparison of the farish 60 and the TPM kit for an example of the TPM grills. TPM is the top one B)

DSC_9465.jpg

DSC_9468.jpg

HTH

Thanks for the pics

TBH there is only a slight difference but once weathered and put into service it won't really be noticeable.

Looking at those pics I thought Farish had the underframe the wrong way round but it looks like the TPM version has the underframe back to front. :unsure:

Cheers

Martin

Looking at those pics I thought Farish had the underframe the wrong way round but it looks like the TPM version has the underframe back to front. :unsure:

Cheers

Martin

Ah, that was my fault. I had placed the loco body on backwards after a dcc conversion on the TPM model. Now corrected but I did not take another picture :icon_redface:

Archived