Plywood baseboard framing

noakesy123

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking at producing a new, modular layout, using a series of 4 by 2ft boards.

Unfortunately, as a student, I'm not in the best financial position, so whilst looking to produce something of highest quality, I also need to do it cheaply.

The cost of the sheer amount of timber I would need to suitably brace the boards, makes the project, just at the baseboard stage quite expensive.

One solution I thought of was that I have a 1 inch thick ply sheet from a first layout when I was very young, if this was cut into 3inch strips, to make 1inch by 3 inch batons, could this be used as baseboard framing in the same way you would use traditional timber?

Has anyone tried this method, or if not, just ensure me that it would be suitable, as if so, I may be able to go forward with the project!

thanks, Tom.

Has anyone tried this method, or if not, just ensure me that it would be suitable, as if so, I may be able to go forward with the project!

I'd have thought that your major problem will be getting the ply cut at 90 degrees to the surface and the two edges parallel. Not something that I'd like to attempt without a full set of wood machining jigs.

• RMweb Gold

I'd have thought that your major problem will be getting the ply cut at 90 degrees to the surface and the two edges parallel. Not something that I'd like to attempt without a full set of wood machining jigs.

I had mine supplied already ripped, but there were still inaccuracies 105-107mm, this is not a problem if you mark a face side and edge and just work from this, I made mine up with the underside of the baseboard as the "flat" surface, this meant any inaccuracies didn't matter as all measurements for legs etc were from that point.

To be honest not being at 90 degrees over 25mm won't matter much, just use a resin based gap filling glue, this gets down into the grain as well.

....... using a series of 4 by 2ft boards....... I have a 1 inch thick ply sheet ...... if this was cut into 3inch strips, to make 1inch by 3 inch batons,

I use 15mm ply for unrelated (to Model Railways) activities, 15mm is heavy, thus 25mm ply sounds a lot heavier, Are these boards to be moved on a regular basis?

They would have to be moved, but only every few months. Not regularly, and would probably be moved by 2 people, so weight wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Dave, as you say, I would use the board as the flat surface and match the framing to it, so the small inaccuracies probably wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Archived