50027 moving to Mid Hants

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Diesel enthusiasts might appreciate this - apparently when it was working Alresford - Ropley it was making more clag than a West Country with the world's most inexperienced fireman doing the shovelling.

Diesel enthusiasts might appreciate this - apparently when it was working Alresford - Ropley it was making more clag than a West Country with the world's most inexperienced fireman doing the shovelling.

Typical of a cold EE power unit... You should see it when the 37's start up at Toddington - you wonder if a new pope has been installed.

Typical of a cold EE power unit... You should see it when the 37's start up at Toddington - you wonder if a new pope has been installed.

It's the flames that shoot out of the exhaust that make me laugh!

I went by it a few times today - looks like it could do with a repaint.

It has had some fairly recent body attention while marooned in Yorkshire, the owning group having made an effort to keep on top of bodywork issues before the rot sets in on a large scale.

Having said that it would not surprise me if the loco appears as D427 in plain BR blue before the year is out...

Would be interested to learn when this is running - will check the MHR website! A couple of years ago we had a holiday near Pickering and did the Goathland to Grosmont walk (very nice in the sunshine) ... and found 027 in the sidings when approaching Grosmont. My eldest really liked it and took quite a few photos with his small camera (he was 8 at the time). Sure enough, come December, Father Christmas was asked for a LION... which he was able to find (fortunately)... and this was lightly weathered and has been running on their railway track ever since. Now that its a little more local to us... a visit to pay our respects and get a ride might definately be called for! That should make his day (and mine)

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I was watching the 33 shunting kettles about the yard for about 45 mins this afternoon and the shunter was attached to a crane so its possible. I left at around 3.30pm when the 33 was parked up against the 50 and shut down so I guess it either all happened earlier or not today. I had heard that they were due to change a cylinder head over this weekend?

I was watching the 33 shunting kettles about the yard for about 45 mins this afternoon and the shunter was attached to a crane so its possible. I left at around 3.30pm when the 33 was parked up against the 50 and shut down so I guess it either all happened earlier or not today. I had heard that they were due to change a cylinder head over this weekend?

Dont know that much as i was inbetween hearing things and removeing Wadebridges Big end

Good evening all, The 'Hampshire Hoover' was shunted into the yard at Ropley this afternoon - nicely posed for a couple of quick snaps whilst the shunters repositioned a 33.

Not sure if any work has been done to Lion as yet?

To my shame I'm not a volunteer on my local preserved railway - once I retire I promise to do better but that's a few years off yet due to the cost of keeping a child at Uni!!

Andy

post-3043-0-77275500-1341776539_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-22206300-1341776585_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since Lion moved to Ropley I decided to offer my services to help out the owners and this afternoon I met them at Ropley and chatted for a couple of hours. Just before I left '27 was started up and moved to its position up the headshunt to free up the pit for the steamers from the day's services. I thought I would catch the moment on video and hopefully the link works.

Lion hasn't run for a couple of years now so after a bit of TLC at Ropley the plan is to take her out on Thursday evening for a series of runs from Ropley to Medstead and back to see if all is well before entering service on the MidHants.

• RMweb Premium

Do we know roughly what time she'll be running?

The 'plan' is to make a series of light engine runs from Ropley to Medstead and back after the day's services have finished. Should be after work for the owners from about 6pm onwards but I must stress this is not definite and may also not happen! If I get confirmation I'll try to let you know if there's time.

• RMweb Gold

Since Lion moved to Ropley I decided to offer my services to help out the owners

I'll look out for you .. I'll be the one moaning and bitching about having some toothpaste looking thing up there...

Don't forget, while you're enjoying your new class 50 at the MHR, there are some of us up here in sunny Yorkshire mourning the loss of Lion.

She sounded great on the climb up to Goatland during the last diesel gala she worked at. The NYMR's loss is the MHR's gain.

Cheers.

Sean.

I'll be thinking of you when I savour the splendour on the climb to Medsted :wink_mini:

Archived