Scarborough to Whitby line

welsh wizard

Next set

Book – York to Scarborough, Whitby & Ryedale (Railway Memories #19) – Stephen Chapman

Page 12  Ivatt Cl 4 43072 with 5 carriages, southbound

Page 21  Ivatt 2MT tender loco 46413 on northbound short goods (very pleased with this find!)

Page 70  A5 69835, BR black, on 4 carriage southbound service

Page 73  Fairburn 4MT 42085 (pilot) & B1 61383 on 8 carriages (Mark 1s?) southbound

Page 75  L1 67764, 2 carriages southbound

Page 75  3MT 82029 (pilot) + B1 61383 on 8 Mark 1 carriages southbound. ( Rake is maroon except 2nd & 3rd carriages, which are ‘blood & custard’)

Page 79  A8 69861 (pilot) + B1 61010 Wildebeeste with 7 carriages, southbound

Mark

I did not realise you could still get onto Larpool Viaduct. I thought it was blocked at each end.

Might have to have a walk along it next time I'm in Whitby.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean

There's easy access to the trackbed at the site of West Cliff station, & you can usually get parked at a good Yorkshire price (free!) close by :sungum:

Cheers

Mark

Hi Sean

There's easy access to the trackbed at the site of West Cliff station, & you can usually get parked at a good Yorkshire price (free!) close by :sungum:

Cheers

Mark

No there isn't, there is the small matter of several gardens and an absent bridge from that end.  Take the back road from the New Bridge to Ruswarp and park next to the end of the viaduct, you can also explore the remains of Prospect Hill junction whilst you are at it.  You can still find the demolition rubble from the cabin, several point cranks and what I believe are the remains of a set of points up there.  Give me a yell and I'll give you the tour, I'll also take you up to the derelict RCH wagons a bit further down the coast as well if you like.

Somewhere I have a 1953 working timetable for this line as well as the sectional appendix, some rummaging is in order I think.

Edited by Boris

No there isn't, there is the small matter of several gardens and an absent bridge from that end.  Take the back road from the New Bridge to Ruswarp and park next to the end of the viaduct, you can also explore the remains of Prospect Hill junction whilst you are at it.  You can still find the demolition rubble from the cabin, several point cranks and what I believe are the remains of a set of points up there.  Give me a yell and I'll give you the tour, I'll also take you up to the derelict RCH wagons a bit further down the coast as well if you like.

Somewhere I have a 1953 working timetable for this line as well as the sectional appendix, some rummaging is in order I think.

Ah, if you come into Whitby from the Grosmont direction along the A171, but turn left onto the A174 as though you were going into Whitby, rather than going right onto the Scarborough road at the traffic lights just after the road bridge to the north of Prospect Hill junction, you then drop down the bank (Downdinner Hill?). I then park up on Hanover Terrace (a left turn) & walk from there up Southend Gardens (I think). The railway went across there on a brick bridge & there are steps at the east side of the formation & IIRC a gentle ramp on the West side to gain access to the trackbed. I thought that was the south end of the West Cliff station area, but no matter. You're right about the bits & pieces at Prospect Hill - folk just wander past without realising what there still is to be seen...

I'd very much appreciate the tour sometime. Thank you - and if I had a decent internet connection on board here I'd look at Google Earth for your suggestion of a parking area too :sungum:

Good luck finding that WTT & the SA - would be very interested to hear details.

Best,

Mark

One final one for today

Book – LNER/NER Steam in Yorkshire – Donald Binns

Page 33  G5 67289 (pilot) & B1 61216, both BR black, on 8 carriages southbound

There is a good variety of locomotives & stock to be seen already. Interesting double-heading combinations too. More to come :mail:

That's good to know for the future, Boris - we were in Whitby & decided to walk along the route. That's when I found the access point I referred to. Went to about 1/4 mile past Larpool viaduct & back the first time. Second time just to the viaduct. Didn't try going north, but from your info it would have been a lost cause anyway!

Cheers

Mark

I have a video of the track being lifted, includes last train all be brake vans on a survey train by the demolition gang prior to starting work. I think it one of the Marsdons tiles Will have a look this week if I get time and come back with the answer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Next set of photos, folks...

Book – Scarborough Memories – Ron Hodge

Page   6  B1 61176 southbound

Page 22  3MT 77004 with 2 carriages, photos both north- and southbound

Page 23  A8 69885 with 2 carriages, northbound

Page 28  A8 69876 with 5 carriages, northbound

Page 29  A8 69880 with 4 carriages, southbound

Page 59  Ivatt 4MT 43050 with northbound goods

Page 60  V3 67638 with southbound pass. train

Page 63  A5 69842 shown in north- and southbound photos on pass. trains

Page 68 A8 69878 & A8 69886, both with northbound pass. trains

Page 71  V3 67638 with 2 carriages, southbound

Page 72  3MT 77013 with 4 carriages, southbound. (Noted that 77014 also was seen southbound)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scarborough-Whitby is a great cycle ride on the trackbed trail, I did it over 2 days based at Ravenscar.

Alan Gray built an 0 gauge layout of Robin Hood's Bay. In 10' x 12.6'. See GoG Small Layouts vol 2.

Dava

It may of interest to some of you that a 4mm/1ft scale OO gauge model of Whitby West Cliff station will be at the Middlesbrough, Hartlepool and Newcastle Model Railway Exhibitions, this year. It was at the Redcar show last year but has been extended by a further two boards including an excellent model of Upgang Viaduct. It is set in the BR period late 50s to early 60s. Far too modern for me!

Thanks for that, scottiedog. I hope to be on leave for at least one of those shows.

*wanders off to check dates of shows & planned work/leave dates*

I will be helping to run the layout at all three shows (!), so do come and say hello. Brad who owns the layout has done a great deal of research on the station and it's environs but no doubt he will want to "pick your brain" for more information!

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

The S & W is very much a fond memory for me and I can still recall the childhood thrill of seeing Robin Hoods Bay from the DMU windows as the North-bound train emerged from Ravenscar tunnel. I would have my red metal bucket and spade at the ready, that I had purchased on Scarborough station, prior to setting off for one weeks (our only) annual family holiday in RHB The trains fascinated me and when set-down at RHB, I would race thru the Goods Yard and stand to watch the Grand Depart of the DMU to Whitby - just like the small boy in Ken Hoole's / David Hey's photo of a 3-Car 108 (Hull, Springhead depot)

If anyone can find an old copy of 'Railway Modeller' September 1981, check-out 'A Branch Line for Modern Traction', written with assistance from Ken Hoole and Robin Lidster. All the drawings and maps were produced using drawing-board ink pens on film-paper whilst at work (long before CAD) The plan was based on 'what-if the line had survived'.

Back then, although the line was an official a footpath / cycle-track - it was still very derelict and overgrown with vegetation. Now it's a bit of shining example of 'just look what can be achieved'!

I had hours of fun building and operating the model, even though it was a bit of a Train-set approach. But Model Railways themselves have moved-on so much these days, that I'm tempted to have a another go.

Regards, Paul (thanks for a great Forum and I'm glad I've joined at last)

• Like 3

I will be helping to run the layout at all three shows (!), so do come and say hello. Brad who owns the layout has done a great deal of research on the station and it's environs but no doubt he will want to "pick your brain" for more information!

Sadly I was away - but hopefully I'll be in luck in 2015...

I'd be delighted to help with information, should I have what's needed :sungum:

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

The S & W is very much a fond memory for me and I can still recall the childhood thrill of seeing Robin Hoods Bay from the DMU windows as the North-bound train emerged from Ravenscar tunnel. I would have my red metal bucket and spade at the ready, that I had purchased on Scarborough station, prior to setting off for one weeks (our only) annual family holiday in RHB The trains fascinated me and when set-down at RHB, I would race thru the Goods Yard and stand to watch the Grand Depart of the DMU to Whitby - just like the small boy in Ken Hoole's / David Hey's photo of a 3-Car 108 (Hull, Springhead depot)

If anyone can find an old copy of 'Railway Modeller' September 1981, check-out 'A Branch Line for Modern Traction', written with assistance from Ken Hoole and Robin Lidster. All the drawings and maps were produced using drawing-board ink pens on film-paper whilst at work (long before CAD) The plan was based on 'what-if the line had survived'.

Back then, although the line was an official a footpath / cycle-track - it was still very derelict and overgrown with vegetation. Now it's a bit of shining example of 'just look what can be achieved'!

I had hours of fun building and operating the model, even though it was a bit of a Train-set approach. But Model Railways themselves have moved-on so much these days, that I'm tempted to have a another go.

Regards, Paul (thanks for a great Forum and I'm glad I've joined at last)

Bit late replying to this, but I got hold of a copy of that Railway Modeller - quite an interesting plan :)

• 3 years later...

I have some photos after a recent visit (Nov '18 and Feb '19) to Ravenscar, I hope they're of interest.

Ravenscar tunnel entrance. Yes, we did go inside and walk the full length).

image.jpeg

The track bed around Robin Hood Bay.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kettlness station, now belongs to the Scouts.

image.jpeg

Staithes goods shed.

image.jpeg

Staithes station. Now two private houses.

image.jpeg

Ravenscar station.

image.jpeg

The remains of Staithes viaduct.

image.jpeg

Regards

PL.

Edited by Paperlad
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was in ravenscar tunnel I was in a suit with a champaign flute....

I was at a wedding in nearby Raven hall and the bride's dad after a brief conversion about it decided we should go immediately! Was a great day though

• Like 2
  • Agree 1