Photos of the Prototype

Some great photos on here. I'll just quietly link you to two of my Galleries

The first one is Garsdale

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/835-garsdale/

And the second is Kirkby Stephen

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/823-kirkby-stephen-west/

Both sets were taken when I used to cross the Pennines for work and I could "arrange" a few free minutes photographizing en route so there is no rolling stock in sight but there are some rather lovely snowy shots. They are just some of the shots I took so if anyone wants a specific view PM me and I'll have a look to see if there are some shots covering your interest. Hope they are useful.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, some really lovely photos in there!

I particularly like the contrast in the Dandry Mire photos. The first one looks quite inviting. The snow one, incredibly bleak.

Thanks for posting these.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

WOW, What cracking photos, now how can I change my West Highland Line to the S & C ?

I know I will build another layout

Andy

Why do I find myself believing that that is exactly what you will do!!!?

Jeff

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen these - and it seems that the turnout into the down siding at Kirkby Stephen has got moved at some point. Aargh! Wonder if I'll be able to lift and move what I've laid...

• RMweb Premium

Just seen these - and it seems that the turnout into the down siding at Kirkby Stephen has got moved at some point. Aargh! Wonder if I'll be able to lift and move what I've laid...

Good luck with the Kirkby Stephen model. It's nice to know there's somebody else modelling that part of the S&C!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, don't expect to see anything in a hurry though. It's taken me a couple of years to get to the point I have reached, and just started pulling up again last night (think I can get away with moving a couple of turnouts, but I'm half tempted to start again because the curve vanished somewhere between drawing up the plan and laying the track). I've also only got a 6' section, working on a "hopefully I'll have more room in the future" tactic.

I've got a few photos but I've not uploaded them because they don't show anything much more than has already been posted in this thread.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting to see they have now installed the Midland style lamp standards. I've seen a photo where these were fitted in the early 1900's but they were missing in the 1950's and 60's which is the period I chose for my own layout. The bridge was installed in 2000 which threw me when I went to photograph it as part of my research.

Nice photos, I haven't been back up there for a few years so it's nice to see it again, thanks for posting the pics.

Ian

The magic of modern cameras means the photos don't do justice to what a dark evening it was. Heavy rain showers too. As I was alone apart from the signalman much of the time, it was very atmospheric!

And the irony is he was probably reading RMWEB.

• 2 months later...

Heres a few freight workings from September 2013 on the Settle/Carlisle line.

Colas Rail 56302 departing Ribblehead sidings with the log train to Chirk

post-25512-0-61790000-1426020606_thumb.jpg

Colas Rail  56302 about to pass through Ribblehead station having run around at Blea Moor

post-25512-0-15462800-1426020701_thumb.jpg

EWS 66034 with a coal train heading north at Ribblehead station

post-25512-0-60440200-1426020799_thumb.jpg

Freightliner 66530 with a coal train heading south as EWS 66034 waits for it to pass before taking the single line over Ribblehead Viaduct

post-25512-0-92920000-1426020880_thumb.jpg

EWS 66066 passing Horton In Ribblesdale station with a Gypsum train

post-25512-0-96322800-1426020956_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing, awesome prototype pictures and though set in the late 60's, still good for up to the present day.

Julian Sprott

Archived