Is this for real?

woodenhead

Over on New Railway Modellers saw a thread by someone (only 3 posts) proposing to build a Gauge 1 diesel and after 2 days of polling has decided to offer a class 52 Gauge 1 kit and soon you'll be able to order any diesel!

There is even a website (of sorts).

Question: real offering or someone with ideas beyond their capability? There is nothing here to indicate the skills of the proposer or any indication on price.

http://www.tgmodels.moonfruit.com/#

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38238&sid=8865d20c2ee4778fb94c7ebc1044b188

If the product existed, surely it would be useful to have a few pictures - even of the unpainted basic model, test shots or even CAD drawings?

I can't tell much about their modelling skills from that site but I can tell a lot about their web skills and marketing skills...

• RMweb Premium

The word "moonfruit" in the web address makes me somewhat prejudiced without even clicking on the link.

I did a Google search and it's actually a web hosting and design site

Followed the link and saw this

All our Gauge 1 Locos are Powered by Electric Motors Which run from Electricity Passing Through the Track

Now I know I'm not an active modeller and I'm certainly not an electrical engineer - but how else would the power get there - it's not as if there's going to be a nuclear power station built into the loco - or does it run with a flex and 13amp plug on - it doesn't mention voltage - I just hope he's not going to suggest 240v :O

I thought the same Mike, then thought perhaps there are alternatives at Gauge 1.

On board battery and radio control is common in the larger scales, particularly those designed for outdoor railways - saves a lot of hassle track cleaning :)

Now I know I'm not an active modeller and I'm certainly not an electrical engineer - but how else would the power get there - it's not as if there's going to be a nuclear power station built into the loco - or does it run with a flex and 13amp plug on - it doesn't mention voltage - I just hope he's not going to suggest 240v :O

To be fair many Gauge 1 are live steam - so perhaps the alternative would be powered by an on board kettle ? Or are battery powered.

Seems an odd way to go about it though. OK the web is a wonderful and possibly cheap place to get your product out there. Personally I would have gone to the magazines and got them to give the product the once over... before you go onto the web. It most certainly would have given your prodct some form of positive airing.

They've had their posts pruned for gratuitous advertising, there's a facebook page as well now - will have to seek it out.

I actually hope they are for real and something good comes at the end, but I do find the approach to market interesting, but then not every good modeller is a good marketer and not every good marketer is a modeller.

The complete lack of photo's makes me a little concerned. You would have thought they'd have a photo of a test build at least.

Makes me wonder about the quality of the product. The phrase "you get what you pay for" is rarely wrong.

Well I don't know if it's genuine or not, but I do know that TG Models Ltd is not a listed company and not to be confused with T & G Models which is something completely different....

I would get a little (a lot) more information before handing over any cash....

• 1 month later...

All of these comments seam to ignore the fact that the company TG Models Limited has not been registered at companies house and therefore does not exist and that the web page does not list any address or telephone number, directors, registered office and company number now being required to be displayed on web sites.

This is most likely to be a scam with the intention of getting people to add their names and addresses thus providing those people with a ready list of addresses to target for high value model thefts. Anyone filling out their web page should consider if they are adequately insured for their models and their security is sufficient to insure that their insurers cannot say they invited the theft by filling out the web page and avoid cover.

Without much more infomation on their page and using a company that does exist this can only be presumed to be fraudulent in nature surely anyone serious about such things would have real names and contact details.

Archived