Model Rail 171, July 2012

Chris Nevard

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Model Rail shouldn't have put a picture of a 2FS layout on it's front cover in the first place if it didn't want to scare the herd?

They didn't. But don't let the facts get in the way...

How long is this going to go on for, what resolution are people looking for? As far as I can see its an innocent error of judgement from model rail and I am fairly certain looking at the fall out here it won't happen again! Can we get back to discussing the magazine in general. The next thing we will be complaining the full page apology in the next issue has meant Chris gets his page pulled again! And we won't be happy about that!!!

mark

• RMweb Premium

How long is this going to go on for, what resolution are people looking for? As far as I can see its an innocent error of judgement from model rail and I am fairly certain looking at the fall out here it won't happen again! Can we get back to discussing the magazine in general. The next thing we will be complaining the full page apology in the next issue has meant Chris gets his page pulled again! And we won't be happy about that!!!

mark

Yes, Mark. I'm amazed the Mods haven't moved in and locked the thread by now. At least that would stop Chris having to answer his critics and give him time to write the next Backscene!

Jeff

Yes, Mark. I'm amazed the Mods haven't moved in and locked the thread by now. At least that would stop Chris having to answer his critics and give him time to write the next Backscene!

Jeff

Did someone rattle my cage? I am not going to lock this but would be obliged if we could discuss the other conrents now please.

• RMweb Gold

Great issue. Lots of good stuff, and lovely to see Waun-Gron in there. I also enjoyed the article on making the best use of a fiddleyard as it usefully defines what you can achieve in a given space.

• RMweb Gold

I'm particularly liking the full overall photo rather than plan for small layouts, three examples in this issue, as for simple track plans it's far more use to capture the character.

Yes! Some of the covers across various titles have put me in mind of Closer and Heat magazines etc at times.

Blimey I seem to have missed some issues, was there a ModelRail diet too? ;)

I'm particularly liking the full overall photo rather than plan for small layouts, three examples in this issue, as for simple track plans it's far more use to capture the character.

Blimey I seem to have missed some issues, was there a ModelRail diet too? ;)

Yes, it's coffee and Kit-Kats - the same in every issue!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I actually preferred the old plan for layouts. I tried to work out the plan of Sheep Pasture but couldn't from the overall photo.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I actually preferred the old plan for layouts. I tried to work out the plan of Sheep Pasture but couldn't from the overall photo.

I agree it needs to be clear in the photo and you can actually see all four points in that one. Check the photos on page 77 and 78 and it clears up what the tree hides ;)

I don't think there are any 'old' or 'new' plans. We've used an overall photo as a plan on small layouts when it has been possible to take a suitable photo, for many years. I can think of at least one, back in my time. We've also had one or two instances where we've not been able to get a plan drawn at the time and have had to use alternatives. I'm not aware of any plan (ha ha!) to change the plans.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there are any 'old' or 'new' plans. We've used an overall photo as a plan on small layouts when it has been possible to take a suitable photo, for many years. I can think of at least one, back in my time. We've also had one or two instances where we've not been able to get a plan drawn at the time and have had to use alternatives. I'm not aware of any plan (ha ha!) to change the plans.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi

That is true but a lot of those were taken directly above the layout unlike the two in the current issue. When I refer to old it is the layout diagram that had the position of the camera when taking the photos on it.

Cheers

Paul

No smiley Alan? It wasn't a factual coment. If however you should stumble upon a layout called conrents well I'll eat my hat!

Sorry Bob - there should have been a smiley in there! Try harder next time.

Alan

Hi

That is true but a lot of those were taken directly above the layout unlike the two in the current issue. When I refer to old it is the layout diagram that had the position of the camera when taking the photos on it.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry - I wasn't aware we'd stopped doing that. I'll have to pay more attention.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Sorry - I wasn't aware we'd stopped doing that. I'll have to pay more attention.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi

Actually you may not have done. I have just been and checked the May and June issues and it only appears to be the July one that is missing this type of plan which may be due to the size of the layouts.

Cheers

Paul

I agree it needs to be clear in the photo and you can actually see all four points in that one. Check the photos on page 77 and 78 and it clears up what the tree hides ;)

For those who prefer the track plan here it is..............................

Robin

post-6970-0-60783200-1340402658_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky you Chris ,no sign of mine ,Delivery of Model Rail is very poor over here, perhaps hopefully fingers crossed I will get mine about the time the August Issue hits the streets .Everything else that come from the UK letters Cards parcels seem to arrive within 10-14 days but never Model Rail. :sadclear: GWR Man

Archived