Dairycoates Blue Class 37's

waggy

Hi,

Bit of a long shot. When i finally get round to it i am hoping to build a layout loosely based around Hull circa 1966-1970. I have renumbered several green class 37's but was wondering if any of the split headcode locos were painted Blue during this period.

Many thanks.

Graham

Waggy, I was hoping you'd sign yourself "Ken" but never mind. (For Tigers' fans only!)

Sorry I cannot help but I will be interested to see your model. I well remember D6729, 6730 and 6731 relegating our beloved B1s to the scrap heap. Grrr!

Ian

Splitty 6753 was an early blue repaint, possibly around 1968-ish, and was quite distinctive as it had the double arrow logos below the numbers on all four cabsides ;)

I was going to say, that wasnt a Dairycoates one, then I realised the OP hasnt actually specified...

Cheers for finding the JGT stuff Nidge, it would have taken far too long for me at lunchtime.

As DMC has stated 6737 was the first split box 37 that Dairycoates had, 6835 and 6836 were the first blue 37s at Dairycoates, 6835 being in the style you are asking about. 6734 I think was in Donny works about the time Dairycoates closed and may have returned from there in blue.

The usual foreign 37s were Tinsley machines with the odd Thornaby or Gateshead one appearing. March ones could appear on the New England freight but not very often, could be an excuse to get Stratfords 6753 on your layout.

Hi Graham! Just a suggestion butI'd be drawing up a list of dairycoates allocated machines for the four years and then looking on websites, old I/Allan combineds for pictures of the longer-serving residents. I do have a book with the Class 37 allocations for that period which I could photocopy the relevant section and post it on to you, if you wish. regards Malcolm

As DMC has stated 6737 was the first split box 37 that Dairycoates had,

My very strong recollection is that the first trio of EE Type 3s in Hull were D6729,30 and 31. These were split-box and were delivered to Dairycoates brand spanking new.

(Edit)

In fact the first pair at Dairycoates, according to this web site , were D6730/31. Not sure where I got D6729 from - it was allocated to Stratford from new. Sorry!

Hi Graham! Just a suggestion butI'd be drawing up a list of dairycoates allocated machines for the four years and then looking on websites, old I/Allan combineds for pictures of the longer-serving residents.

Or he could take some note of the two longtime Hull residents (myself and 45125) who were around at the time and have already given him the answer he requires. Like you say, just a suggestion.

Not that long :sungum: 6737 at least went blue in early '69, in the 'one central arrow' style; you may of course know that 6835/36 were also early blue repaints, but they're not splitboxes.

Thanks Pennine MC, 6737 it is then. Re 6836 i have a photo of it dated 23/5/69 at Dairycoates, very different to JGT's photo, no 1 end has 50B stenciled above the number, NB below it and a data panel below that, no 2 end is the same except for no data panel. Regards. Graham

Splitty 6753 was an early blue repaint, possibly around 1968-ish, and was quite distinctive as it had the double arrow logos below the numbers on all four cabsides ;)

A few nice shots here too, not all in your time frame but one or two might be...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/sets/72157624604133297/

Hi Rugd1022, Found John Grey Turners photostream a couple of years ago, what an excellent site. Regards. Graham.

Waggy, I was hoping you'd sign yourself "Ken" but never mind. (For Tigers' fans only!)

Sorry I cannot help but I will be interested to see your model. I well remember D6729, 6730 and 6731 relegating our beloved B1s to the scrap heap. Grrr!

Ian

Hi Ian, Was going to mention i didn't think 6729 was a Dairycoates loco. I had some happy times in the mid to late sixties watching the Tigers and trainspotting at the same time. Regards. Graham

As DMC has stated 6737 was the first split box 37 that Dairycoates had, 6835 and 6836 were the first blue 37s at Dairycoates, 6835 being in the style you are asking about. 6734 I think was in Donny works about the time Dairycoates closed and may have returned from there in blue.

The usual foreign 37s were Tinsley machines with the odd Thornaby or Gateshead one appearing. March ones could appear on the New England freight but not very often, could be an excuse to get Stratfords 6753 on your layout.

Hi 45125, Thanks for the info on 6734. Am i right in thinking foreign locos were quite rare at Dairycoates ? on my only visit in 1969 every loco seen was allocated to 50B. Regards. Graham

Hi Graham! Just a suggestion butI'd be drawing up a list of dairycoates allocated machines for the four years and then looking on websites, old I/Allan combineds for pictures of the longer-serving residents. I do have a book with the Class 37 allocations for that period which I could photocopy the relevant section and post it on to you, if you wish. regards Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, thanks for the offer but i have Ian Allan Locoshed books that cover the period i am modelling. Regards Graham

Hi 45125, Thanks for the info on 6734. Am i right in thinking foreign locos were quite rare at Dairycoates ? on my only visit in 1969 every loco seen was allocated to 50B. Regards. Graham

It was a rare event to see a foreign type 3, but they did turn up. You could even have D1510 which was a Dairycoates loco for a month or so....

The 50B stencil appeared on the Dairycoates loco around early 68, Thornaby also seemed to like this stencil type shed id.

As DMC has stated 6737 was the first split box 37 that Dairycoates had

Sorry to be pedantic, 45125, but D6730 and D6731 were definitely the first split box EE Type 3s allocated to 50B but of course they were green. Are you saying that 6737 was the first blue one?

Sorry to be pedantic, 45125, but D6730 and D6731 were definitely the first split box EE Type 3s allocated to 50B but of course they were green. Are you saying that 6737 was the first blue one?

Yes, as Pennine MC stated some time around Feb 69.

Archived