Hyndland EMU Depot

backwaterscotland

Hi Folks,

Although I haven't got near finishing my current layout I am starting the planning and research for the next layout.

One of the ideas I am looking at is a small EMU Depot/stabling point and I've been looking at Hyndland depot in Glasgow. The depot was built on the site of the old Hyndland station which was on a short branch from the main line. The depot opened in around 1960 when the station closed and closed in 1987 when it's function was replaced by Yoker Depot.

I have found a few photos on Flickr and fotopic plus quite a few on the railbrit website. What I am looking for is :

1 - a trackplan for the depot (I've worked it out roughly from what I can see in the pictures but I'm not 100% sure it's correct). There is a track at the back which I don't know quite where it goes.

2- I would particularly like photos of the back of the depot (the other side from the sidings) - there appears to be an office block on the back but I have no idea what else was at the back. I have a few photos of the front of the building (with the big doors), a few of the carriage sidings side and a couple of the other end.

It's not the easiest of sites to research as it's been flattened since it closed and there were no easy places to get photos from when it was still standing.

For those who haven't heard of the depot here are some pictures :

Flickr photo

Brian Daniels Fotopic site

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Cheers

Andy B)

Alternatively, you could find it on googlearth and measure it.

Think you will find that the site was cleared for housing long before Google Earth was thought of, the depot was demolished shortly after closure in 1987. This is actually a general weak point when researching the 1950's to 1990's on the internet, there seems to be a lot of old maps up to 1948 (ish) then nothing until the current revison, thanks to the copyright laws imposed by the Ordnance Survey

Jim

Andy - there is a track plan of the depot as it was in 1960 on Iain Logan's Site http://homepages.ent...lway/gsetk.html, 'fraid I can't help with photographs though.

Jim

Many Thanks Jim, That plan shows me at least how many sidings there were there - still don't know where the back siding goes though! The map show is as running just behind the shed but photographs show it a lot further back.

Alternatively, you could find it on googlearth and measure it.

I have actually done that, superimposing my estimated trackplan over the current google image. Does mean that I have a rough idea of the width and length of the site.

Andy B)

Archived