The percentage breakdown between Hornby/Bachmann/etc?

FWIW. Loco's 42% Bachmann, 30% Hornby, 17% Heljan, 11% Kit built.

Wagons 55% kit built, 40% Bachmann, rest Hornby/Dapol/Flangeway.

Coaches 50% Bachmann, 45% Hornby, rest kit built.

If I disregard my 70s/80s Hornby stock and kit built stuff,a rough percentage would be:

Locos Bachmann 80%/Hornby 20%

Coaches Bachmann 60%/Hornby 40%

Wagons Bachmann 90%/Hornby 5%/Dapol 5%

This shouldn't be taken as a guide to their respective qualities though.For coaches ,I'd say Hornby have the definite edge at present (for instance the SR Maunsell stock is beautiful).For wagons,I don't know what Hornbys modern image stock is like,but steam era stuff is still toylike compared to Bachmann.

As for locos,when Hornby get it right,they knock Bachmann for six,but unfortunately the range is very uneven,with a few old toylike models still in the range.Bachmann are far more consistent and offer a more balanced range.

Jamie

My loco fleet is entirely diesel, with the oldest model dating from 2002 (Hornby 50)

It is split as follows

Hornby 23%

Heljan 27%

Bachmann 50%

Rolling stock is approximately

Bachmann 50%

Hornby 30%

Heljan 12%

Dapol 8%

Specifically regarding the intended modelled fleet; about a year ago it was definitely 90% Bachmann 10% Hornby, in terms of locomotives. Now it's about 50/50. Due to modelling interests being LNER and ex-LNER, I have A1/1, A3, A4, L1 from Hornby and A1, A2, A2/1, A2/2 and A2/3, B1, O4 from Bachmann, both including conversions, and they make up the bulk of the locomotive fleet.

Coaching stock is more or less 95% Hornby due in no small part to their teaks being available from split train packs on eBay more easily, and their suburbans being cheaper to buy in bulk numbers overall. The 5% Bachmann refers to a few Thompsons and MK1s.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with quality, it is do with ease of producing the scene I want (and for that reason, RTRs and RTR conversions feature heavily from both companies).

I can't see it changing as I will be buying into equal quantities of O1, D11, J11 and B17 from the respective companies.

Locos Atlas 60%/Athearn 20%/GEM 20%

Stock F&C 25%/Exactrail 25%/Westerfield 12.5%/Intermountain 12.5%/Tangent 12.55/Canfield & Mcglone 12.5%

:mosking:

I've never subscribed to brand loyalty with regards to model railway stuff, I will buy the models of protoypes I require from whoever makes them, when there are duplicates I will buy whichever is better. As per SAC Martin

It has nothing whatsoever to do with quality, it is do with ease of producing the scene I want

• RMweb Premium

Locos (steam and diesel): 83% Bachmann, 17% Hornby

Rolling stock: 100% Bachmann

Coaches (nearly all Mk 1s): 100% Bachmann

A slight bias in my purchasing methinks!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I really haven't got the faintest idea! My interest starts from the availability of a suitable prototype so if whoever it is makes the right thing then I buy it from them and I have worked off a base of appropriate ex GW and ex LMS types for South Wales Valleys and the North & West Line (the latter is creeping back up my personal leader board following some useful recent books from Wild Swan ;) - all I need is a layout plan to incorporate both!). And for those sort of settings it is very difficult not to have too many 56XX, 57XX, 8750, 64XX (waiting on someone, please), 42XX, 28XX, ROD, 'Castle', 'Hall', 'Grange', G2, Coal tank (another one where I'm waiting), 94XX, 10XX 'County', 9F, and so on plus various early mainline diesels. So it's easy enough to work out what I'm likely to buy when whichever or whoever brings it onto the market and I try to make sure I get them before they vanish.

Hi All,

The Little Didcot collection based in the GWR / BR(W) transition era breaks down as follows:

Hornby:

4079 (the old one - I do need Hornby to do a nice early castle from the new moulds), 5051, 6106, 4144, 1466*, 1014*, Railcar 22, 3822

Bachmann:

5900*, 6998*, 6697*, 5572*, 3650 (X2 - Stevenson Clarke limited edition & my renumbered early BR version), 3738*, 5322*

Other:

DL26 (Bachmann Class 03 chassis, Silver Fox Body), 18000 (Bachmann Class 37 chassis, Silver Fox Body)*, 6023 (Hornby body & tender, Comet chassis), 7202 (PDK kit), Whickham Trolley (Bachmann gandy dancer chassis (heavily modified to correct wheelbase), NBrass body & Trailer)

Not yet decided / nothing bought as yet but not available from H or B:

1363, 1338

And I just don't know where to put this one:

7808 (Bachmann body & tender, Hornby Grange chassis and body details trimmed to suit!)*

Not all of these has had the Castle treatment as of yet but I'm getting there... The ones marked * are done and dusted. That gives us a grand total of 24 engines that I have / will be getting:

33.3% Hornby

33.3% Bachmann

33.3% Kits, Bashed or Other

It couldn't have worked out any fairer... Most of my other rolling stock is kit built or heavily bashed about so doesn't really count for the purposes of the above survey. As my collection is unusually limited to what is in the shed today at 81E rather than the buying what I fancy or what I can justify for my layout approach, I thought it was worth breaking down like this. What I find very interesting about this is that, not withstanding Hornby's recent release of the 72XX, my using a Comet chassis for the King (I fancied a go at doing one!), my very confused Manor and I know I haven't counted 2999 (straight framed Saints are a bit early for me) or 4709, the collection at Didcot (which is a good cross section of the GWR / BR (W) fleet) is split equally(ish) between Hornby, Bachmann and the kit / bashed versions. This must mean that they have got the GWR thing pretty evenly split. Also worthy of note is the fact that I have only used 1 Hornby chassis for kits / bashing about but 3 Bachmann ones. I hope that is vaguely interesting...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Working on a very rough approximation, and allowing for the fact that a great proportion of my stock has minimal amounts of the original rtr remaining

Diesel locos works out as:

Bachmann 28%, Hornby 28%, Heljan 17%, Vi Trains 11%, and Others (including Bachmann / Lima Hybrids and a BPM tamper) 17%

For rolling stock, its 52% Hornby, 42% Bachmann, and 6% others (I havent included kit and scratch built stock) This is driven by a high number of Hornby coaches

For Steam it currently works out at a very even split:

Bachmann 22%, Hornby 22%, Mainline 22%, Mitchell, 22%, and Lima 11%, however once the stock building/buying for Cheddar is complete this will change to 25%, 19%, 13%, 19%,19% respectively

For Coaching stock, its currently Bachmann 18%, Airfix 45% and K's, 36%, though this will shift heavly towards Slatters (Coopercraft) and Comet once I start getting on with coach building.

Wagons are heavily weighted towards kits, with a small number of Bachmann models and the single Hornby example being a horsebox.

Dont particularly care who I am buying from, so long as it is the best (ie most accurate) model available.

• RMweb Premium

Depends on time line. Back in the 80s 90s for locos it was about 85% Hornby with Lima/Mainline making up the rest. Coaches were much more varied with LIMA (Mk1s before Bachmann produced theirs), Hornby for prenationalised and Airfix/Mainline making up the wagon stock as I perceived their detail (specifically printing which on Mainline 1977 tank wagons was a revelation) to be far superior to Hornby.

Recently its 80% Bachmann and 20% Heljan on loco front, 75% Bachmann (still buying mk1s!) and 25% Hornby (it would be more but the maroon staniers are too expensive and crimson/cream ones quite hard to get hold of- eagerly awaiting the Bachmann Staniers ). Wagons 100% Bachmann.

So over 40 years a real pot pourri, with Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan,Mainline,Lima, Airfix and Wrenn probably in order of volume now! Hornby rapidly diminishing in share.

I really haven't got the faintest idea! My interest starts from the availability of a suitable prototype so if whoever it is makes the right thing then I buy it from them and I have worked off a base of appropriate ex GW and ex LMS types for South Wales Valleys and the North & West Line (the latter is creeping back up my personal leader board following some useful recent books from Wild Swan ;) - all I need is a layout plan to incorporate both!). And for those sort of settings it is very difficult not to have too many 56XX, 57XX, 8750, 64XX (waiting on someone, please), 42XX, 28XX, ROD, 'Castle', 'Hall', 'Grange', G2, Coal tank (another one where I'm waiting), 94XX, 10XX 'County', 9F, and so on plus various early mainline diesels. So it's easy enough to work out what I'm likely to buy when whichever or whoever brings it onto the market and I try to make sure I get them before they vanish.

Pretty much this for me.... if what I want or need is available up to the right spec / standard I'll do my best to nab it while it's still on the shelf, in a way it doesn't really matter who makes it as each item I buy is a means to an end. The likes of Dapol, Bachmann, Hornby and Heljan have so far released or promised to release most of what I'm after in the long term, they all have their strengths and weaknesses but that's to be expected, and lets not forget the myriad other items which we all need to make everything 'of a piece', the lineside structures and company specific items which can come from literally hundreds of smaller manufacturers and the cottage industry.... just like locos and rolling stock, if it's the right item I'll buy it and fashion it into what I need, whover's name is on the packaging. You can still buy Bachmann Collett coaches, but if (say) Hornby suddenly started doing them to the same standard as their beautiful Hawksworths then I'd most likely buy those instead. Likewise, Bachmann still sell good quantities of their D8xx Warship, which aside from a new chassis relies on tooling that's getting on a bit now, but should Dapol announce a new version tomorrow (go on Dave, put me out of my misery) then I'll no doubt plump for theirs instead.

Strip some of the LMS goodies away from Mike's list above and you've got just about everything I crave model wise in 4mm, it's just a case of waiting for a few more items to appear, then adding them to the stud when they arrive.... some say a layout is never really finished, well I reckon a good shopping list isn't either!

(Mike - expect a PM shortly concerning those North & West Wild Swanathons ;) )

• RMweb Premium

/ all together - eg rebrands

, separate sets all same %

Locos

6% Airfix, Heljan

13% Kit

16% Lima, Mainline

19% Hornby

25% Bachman

DMUs

10% Dapol

20% DC kits, Hornby

50% Lima

Coaches too many to count but when the same moulding has 3 names on it!!!!

About 25% Airfix/Mainline/Replica/Bachmann-Mainline (eg Mark 2D, GWR Sunshine)

About 15% Lima (remembered the GUVs)

About 10% Bachmann (not the ex Mainline stuff), Hornby, bits of (247 & Comet sides on Lima & Hornby chassis ect)

About 7% Ratio, Coopercraft, Parkside (CCTs)

About 7% other kits

Wagons

20% Airfix kits, Parkside

15% Cambrian

10% Hornby, Bachmann

rest of Airfix, Mainline, Lima

Ten years ago I didn't own a single Bachmann or Hornby - it was 95% Lima , 5% Heljan.

Now it's Bachmann 85 %, Hornby 15% locos,

Wagons Bachmann 90%, Hornby 10%

coaches 100 % Bachmann, although that will change as I need some 'swallow' mk2ds, even if they did cock up the colour...

Archived