Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

I've been seeing a seller sell Oxford Rail models with a very low starting price (roughly half retail) advertised as new for a while, and the associated postive feedback so I though I would take a punt. End result - a brand new GER N7 for £51 delivered.

IMG_20190807_133642.jpg.e0e2c6f9a9a1829f7e20186bd6a68e1d.jpg

It's known there are a few issues with it (two whistles?!) but it's quite a nice model and boy is it heavy.

• Like 2

On 29/03/2019 at 18:30, polybear said:

Sadly in my experience such bargains sometimes have a habit of "getting lost in the post".....:angry:

Especially annoying when you see the same item for sale from the same seller sometime later!

On 06/04/2019 at 15:25, Unicorn1 said:

Having thought for some time about detailing my old Airfix autocoach I decided to get a spare body to donate the drivers doors. I bid a fiver on a repainted one, and got it. Imagine my delight when it arrived with a fitted detail kit on the chassis!

1176599565_IMGP7535sml.jpg.2f6359dfbd06060244f0edf9b243d9d3.jpg

1775970462_IMGP7536sml.jpg.eb9f15f456689d1b7ecc04dd4ee2763b.jpg

I was going to fit some 7 foot bogies to my old coach, but I think I'll keep this as is, I don't want to damage the nice fittings.

So the body has now been stripped and is awaiting the new drivers doors, 

200636620_IMGP7540sml.jpg.5c11d071aca0b799c9b85e2c3548d46e.jpg

It'll be blood and custard -  and It'll have SE Finecast glazing, I know there's better but after months of trying I've given up!

Les

Don’t spoil the ship for a happorth of tar. Persist and send off for Shaw’s Lazerglaze for it.

• RMweb Gold

Not railway related but I’ve been trying to win a wind deflector for my mini convertible for the last few weeks they are about £150-£175 from BMW so have been looking around the £60 max mark, been on nights so turned on the phone on for a look and low and behold one came up as finishing this morning at some ungodly hour, £45 starting bid with no bidders, chucked a bid in for £55 but got it for the starting price, just got to pop over to Leicester to collect it, and by a strange quirk of fate where does my job start tonight....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Found an old part built Wills Finecast SR P class loco as I have a spare Southeastern Finecast etched chassis, paid £28 plus £4 P&P. The parts which had been started had been stuck together with super glue, so an easy job to revert it back to a kit. Included was an older cast chassis and a Triang (TT) XT60 motor, both being unused. I put the motor on eBay at what I thought was a cheeky price of £9.95, it sold for £17 (it was unused). So after costs the body kit now cost me £17, there was another body only kit which ended up selling at £26 + postage but no chassis or motor, its always worth paying a bit more for added value which in the end saves you money, though I had no real idea of the motors true value 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The past few weeks have been quiet, then like buses all come at once

One of my favoured saved traders had a bag of 00/H0 yard and street lights, the bag arrived with a couple of yard lamps, about 6 street lamps with posts and over a dozen single and double wall lamps

Today a Malcolm Mitchel GWR 45xx etched chassis built to P4 gauge arrived, no wheels, motor or gears, but ready built with sprung hornblocks and sprung pickups. At the end of the Month I will buy some Alan Gibson wheels and may be some new plunger pickups. Some of the hornblocks are a bit stiff so may need a bit of freeing up. Slightly concerned why there are no wheels, in case there was an issue. At worst I have a chassis jig where I can reset the hornblocks. I think Gibson now offer their wheels with metal inserts, which may be the best option. Needs repainting but not bad at £19 inc postage

I also found a High Level Long rider kit with what I assume is a Mashima 1420 motor, describes as High Level Class 33 replacement chassis, looking at the High Level site its for the class 26/27 & 33, plus can be altered for use under a Warship (I guess buy either stretching the chassis by 2mm or making a 10' wheelbase. I have a Lima class 33 in P4 which is a bit sluggish also I have a MTK Warship which needs building. At £21 I have paid more for a Mashima motor

Finally last night I won a Wills finecast GWR Metro tank, which has been built but not painted, however its been snapped in half !! At £38 at worst I have a set of Markit wheels and a Mashima motor (both in themselves cost £25-£30), use full but not cheap, plus a lot of whitemetal spares. It may be a case of buying a new footplate and a few spares (£10?) reasonable value. On the other hand I may well be able to take the kit appart and solder the footplate together. If the loco body is salvageable I will rebuild it to EM gauge, depending on the quality of repair I may invest in an etched chassis and High Level gearbox

That's enough to keep me going for some time, especially as it seems I will have a bit of a bill from Alan Gibson

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How about this lot, for my mancave to display my locos in, got 10 of them of various sizes and have agreed with the seller to take a further 6 off him including some 1.2M long ones 

58424853-85CB-4168-8097-D4D317094B83.jpg

one of them is a picture pride case as are 2 of the others I’ve got to go back and collect 

the cost, £20 each! 

• Like 10

Recently saw an item on eBay (not railway related) with a starting price of £70, used the Make an Offer facility with £80, seller counter-offered with £150 as it was 'mega rare, only one on ebay (true) and that he wont sell for a penny less, my £80 offer was an insult'.  Just left it but kept it on my watch list.  The auction ended yesterday and with 5 mins to go there where no bids, I put a max bid in for £80, and won the auction at £70, no other bidders

Might be 'mega rare, only one on ebay' but that doesn't mean its in demand!  I'm almost waiting for a message from the seller saying the item was lost or broken!!!!

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2019 at 17:30, big jim said:

How about this lot, for my mancave to display my locos in, got 10 of them of various sizes and have agreed with the seller to take a further 6 off him including some 1.2M long ones 

58424853-85CB-4168-8097-D4D317094B83.jpg

one of them is a picture pride case as are 2 of the others I’ve got to go back and collect 

the cost, £20 each! 

Times like this call for a "Jealous" icon to click on......

• Agree 4

On 14/09/2019 at 14:09, JiLo said:

Recently saw an item on eBay (not railway related) with a starting price of £70, used the Make an Offer facility with £80, seller counter-offered with £150 as it was 'mega rare, only one on ebay (true) and that he wont sell for a penny less, my £80 offer was an insult'.  Just left it but kept it on my watch list.  The auction ended yesterday and with 5 mins to go there where no bids, I put a max bid in for £80, and won the auction at £70, no other bidders

Might be 'mega rare, only one on ebay' but that doesn't mean its in demand!  I'm almost waiting for a message from the seller saying the item was lost or broken!!!!

Well done in hanging in there and sticking to your guns

Auctions apparently find the true value of an item. However how many times do some of us buy a lot cheaply that others miss,

I also waited ages for a good find which I thought was quite cheap. It took over 2 weeks to arrive. Just happened that his ability to send items was as bad as his ability to describe them properly

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Times like this call for a "Jealous" icon to click on......

If anyone wants to buy a cabinet get in touch, I’ve got to decide which ones I’m going to keep for myself first but the rest are to sell on anyway, obviously not at £20 but i certainly won’t be asking much for them depending on size 

• Like 2

On 14/09/2019 at 14:09, JiLo said:

Did you get it, by chance??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinWales said:

Did you get it, by chance??

Yes, I did, and I must say Im very pleased with it, although the seller hasnt left me feedback!!!

Only just found this topic and I must say it's a very interesting read, as much as things are overpriced on Ebay sometimes a great deal does pop up. 

My last good deal was a fully lined Bachmann SECR C Class for 110 posted, I won this on best offer from the seller and after I paid he cancelled it and then relisted it for 200. So much for that good deal, on the plus side though a little while after I won a job lot of locomotives as spares or repairs. To my amazement I found a Zimo sound chip in one and sold it for what I paid for all the locos, what a great end to the week. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WD1995 said:

Only just found this topic and I must say it's a very interesting read, as much as things are overpriced on Ebay sometimes a great deal does pop up. 

My last good deal was a fully lined Bachmann SECR C Class for 110 posted, I won this on best offer from the seller and after I paid he cancelled it and then relisted it for 200. So much for that good deal, on the plus side though a little while after I won a job lot of locomotives as spares or repairs. To my amazement I found a Zimo sound chip in one and sold it for what I paid for all the locos, what a great end to the week. 

You should have reported the seller to eBay, if enough did this perhaps eBay would do something to these rogue sellers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, hayfield said:

You should have reported the seller to eBay, if enough did this perhaps eBay would do something to these rogue sellers

I should have said earlier in my comment, I did report him but I don't know if anything has come of it. I was told they filed a report on the person and have sent it higher up the chain but that was the last I heard, that has reminded me to leave some negative feedback on his page though, thank you

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WD1995 said:

I should have said earlier in my comment, I did report him but I don't know if anything has come of it. I was told they filed a report on the person and have sent it higher up the chain but that was the last I heard, that has reminded me to leave some negative feedback on his page though, thank you

Well done, however I would politely pursue the matter with eBay, initially by contacting them requesting that they keep you informed of what is happening,

We are lead to believe by eBay when we win a lot it is a contract to sell/buy and the contract must be honoured by both parties. occasionally an unforeseen event may occur where the item cannot be sent. However relisting the same item a short time later without first offering the item to the previous buyer is sharp practice. I am certain if you politely pursue this with eBay, I am certain they will at worst offer you a good will gesture. Especially if you list what is happening on social media, and make them aware that the issue is being followed by others

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a Hornby Clan from the Post Office yesterday, it is absolutely pristine, if I had bought one new in the same condition I would have been more than happy, it has been fitted with a DCC Concepts decoder all for 132.00 Pounds plus a bit of postage..........well pleased seeing the crazy prices these locos can command. Can anyone tell me if I can run this on analogue witout alteration please??

Rgds,,,,,,,,Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depends if running on DC has been disabled in CV 29. If it has, you will either need to reset the decoder using a DCC system, or remove the decoder and replace with a blanking plug. Did the loco come with the blanking plug that had been removed to fit the decoder in the first place?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies guys, firstly let me say that at this point my knowledge of DCC is zilch!, I do intend to gain more knowledge but for me it will be a long learning curve. I do not know anyone with a DCC system so I am a little bit stuck at the moment. Would it help if I took a photo of the chip and all the gubbins inside the tender?. I have  a spare tender base from Peters which has what I believe a blanking plug in it, again I will take a photo and perhaps you could cofirm or otherwise. Sorry to be such a pain.

Rgds....Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a 10% off voucher I’ve just got a 2 wagon weathered hattons RHTT set for £90 and a Bachmann collectors club west coast railways 37710 for £152.

the 37 was £190 last week and was reduced to £170 today which was tempting then I was alerted to the 10% voucher in the bargain hunters thread which for another £17 off it, more than happy with that 

edit: yes I know the £37 was £129 when it came out but I wasn’t a collectors club member at the time so would have had to add the cost of that to the loco as well

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2019 at 12:13, big jim said:

If anyone wants to buy a cabinet get in touch, I’ve got to decide which ones I’m going to keep for myself first but the rest are to sell on anyway, obviously not at £20 but i certainly won’t be asking much for them depending on size 

I'll give you £21... You do offer free postage, right? :jester:

• Funny 1

Had a touch of luck at a local show, a Stephen Poole GWR 54xx/64xx/74xx whitemetal (part built) loco kit, With its brass chassis (coupling rods missing) set of 20 mm Romford wheels, Mashima 1224 flat can motor with gears and flywheel £15.

The kit itself has just been started and easily taken apart as superglued. The main castings are fine and there are an extra set of whitemetal splashers, but some of the smaller castings are a bit rough and may need replacing. Does have a set of etched number plates

The chassis is a very old brass bar style I could try a set of Gibson coupling rods, but as I am converting to EM gauge I may go for a set of Gibson Frames. The motor works fine, has an older style Branchlines motor mount.

• Like 4