Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I think that most of my best buys have come from badly set up listings, the worst the listings the cheaper the item, also over the top postage puts some folk off (I just reduce my maximum bit to compensate)

Three examples of part built DJH kits

S15 (no wheels or motor) £27  + £5 p&p    Sunday

SR N Class £25 + £12 p&p                              Tuesday  (this one cost £40 + postage but had a Craftsman etched chassis and other useful bits)

H15  £42  + £5 p&p                                         Tuesday

New DJH kits with wheels motor and gearboxes £200+

However looking at prices lately they are starting to command £80 + on eBay

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happy camper here - won a lot (only one other seemingly not very interested party??) of 6 x 5ft Aristocraft G-gauge track, almost like new for only $91US  - and a remarkable only $26 shipping. Arrived extremely fast and as described, well pleased as a result :)

• Like 4

For a total price including postage of £27.72, I bought a working Comet Schools chassis where the components now would cost £117.34 to buy new. Runs fine forward but a bit hesitant going backwards, but I have not cleaned or oiled the mechanism, as it runs fine forward, the issue is either in the meshing of the gearbox or coupling rods, both easy fixes. The main issue is its not to EM gauge.

I have a couple of Wills Schools locos waiting for a chassis, plus 2 unbuilt Comet chassis, for the price of a couple of EM gauge Markit axles I have the parts to finish one off which would have cost me £86.84. Not withstanding a built Comet chassis must be worth something like what it costs

Has a Mashima 1420 motor, latest RP25 Markit wheels with a Comet GB1 gearbox

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I got this O gauge Dapol brake van for £40 quid - my opening bid as well, placed days before the end. Cheapest other one I've seen was over £60 and they still fetch nearer £70.

Admittedly it didn't look quite like this before I stripped off a rather dodgy repaint which had put everyone else off!

629570168_DSC_0002(2).JPG.692f8f136459911e4b7b9d49b5c18b7d.JPG

• Like 4

Found a Southeastern Finecast P class loco (untouched) £43 inc postage, half price, sadly no wheels motor etc, but that's being greedy. I know that if you don't have wheels and motor it pushes the cost up, but its a lovely little loco which is quite simple to build, the full SECR lining is a bit tricky, however a simpler SR livery could be chosen 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yep, a very strange strategy. Is s/he hoping it will get people excited and bid like crazy on the off chance there's something good inside, like in those reality American TV shows where people buy abandoned self-storage units and try and make money on the contents? 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

A couple of good ones at the beginning of the shut down. A Comet BR 80xxx chassis, built with motor for 50 and an Alexander Models Q6 with wheels and 2 chassis for 65. Bits not needed will then get re Ebayed to get a bit back. 

Man after my own heart, find something decent and which has something else with it to cushion the cost. Well spotted

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Man after my own heart, find something decent and which has something else with it to cushion the cost. Well spotted

That Brassmasters 4f that was not the best but got really cheaply from you is slowly coming together, 

• Like 1

Sorry for the quality, but as you say it was cheap, I am doing my best to keep away from incomplete items, BUT  think I may have done it again on eBay

1365911320_s-l1600(2).jpg.6e1a8d6394e3dad908d7b3a7fb15111e.jpg

A bit of a difficult one here I think I have an Agenoria Hawthorne Leslie 0-4-0 and an etched 3f body and am 0-6-2t chassis, but there may be parts for an Avonside saddle tank (someone else may have the other parts !!  Looks like I have done it again :banghead:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Masterpiece models 7mm 14xx ending in a couple of hours.

Not perhaps the most obvious time to chose to sell one, less than a month after Dapol's was released and at under £300 its currently about £700 less than the last one I saw for sale!

Edit - more of a bad sell than a good buy as its not likely you would realise the difference any time soon.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

Time will tell, but I bet the mechanism will be better than most RTR models, these pages are awash with various issues with RTR chassis and the inability to source spares, or poor running charistics of some models, Comet have made a large range of chassis over the years and High Level's range of replacement chassis is ever expanding

I have a Dapol 7 mm Terrier and its a top performer, lets hope the 7 mm models fair better than some 4 mm ones have

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Prices have seemed to soar over the past few weeks, I have been finishing off a few locos recently and my stocks of wheels, motors and gearboxes have dwindled recently. Always on the lookout ror parts. One lot came up which had 2 Airfix GWR City of Truro kits, a Branchlines Chassis and chassis completion kit (wheels motor & gears) and a spare set (6) of 26mm wheels and a set of tender wheels. A bid including postage of £60 won the lot

Well with a pair of Markit wheels and axle now costing £15, motors (if available) now expensive, and a loco and tender etched chassis to buy everything new must be well into £120 plus

A minor downside is the six Romford wheels need drilling and tapping, I have a pillar drill and a 10ba tap so not a major issue, and what was described as a part loco kit seems complete.

I have an old Airfix city I fitted with a Perseverance Chassis, so I don't want 2< I have a Duke dog and a Bull dog, I am hoping that the city chassis will fit one of these, though both of these had 5' 8" drivers rather than 6' 8" which the City has 

• Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I'm hoping kits are soaring as I've put one on :D

Oh yes! Have sold a few since the start of lockdown!

So much so, I have decided to spoil myself and but some new toys...err  I mean scale models!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bought a part built Southeastern Finecast SR M7 for just over £36 inc postage, initially what interested me was the etched chassis and Markit wheels, had a DS10 motor though not necessarily my favorite motor . I have a Wills finecast unbuilt loco which needs a chassis. The photo's of the body were very poor and so dark it was difficult to decide if it was black or Green. also described as a poor runner

The loco arrived, body in a better condition than feared, the chassis had been poorly built, the first main issue was the pickups, second too much side play on the drivers, thirdly old fashioned Romford gearset 

Given that a new kit is £93 and a chassis £35 wheels and motor £70 ish, I thought my £36 was well spent. As it happens I still have a body without a chassis. but I can convert it to EM gauge at minimum cost £3 for a pair of new axles and some axle washers/spacers from my chassis building spares along with some PB wire for pickups, £40 for a working EM gauge kit

An upgrade by using a High Level gearbox will be undertaken £14-£16 will transform the performance and make it quieter. The paint job is fine and not thick, but will get a change of colour 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think in some ways its been a little harder to find good buys during the lock down, but they are still there

I found a Comet Coaches 57xx chassis, with a set of Markit wheels plus 4 x 16mm Markit wheels, it is missing the coupling rods and brake gear but I have replacements in my spares box, It also came with a Mainline body all for £23, I was after 18mm wheels. I was after wheels but with a motor and a few other spares from my reserves I have a decent loco for next to nothing

From the same seller I bought for £16 a whitemetal Sentinel 0-4-0 diesel, just missing the odd small casting

Today I received another 2 chassis with a bag of bits (I also bought a K's Dukedog part built kit fron the same seller).  The chassis I was after was the K's 0-6-0 with Romford/Markit wheels, there was also a motor-less R1 chassis.  It cost me £16.50 with postage so not bad for a decent set of wheels. The bag firstly had some of the Dukedog's missing parts, then I found 1/8 mainframe bearings, 30+ handrail knobs, 2 brass whistles, a selection of nuts and bolts, a couple of packs of k's wheel spares,  a sort of buy that turns out to be even better than expected, and several parts will be recycled via eBay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying not to buy too much but I've been after an ex-GER catering vehicle of some sort for ages. The choice seems to be the D&S 50ft LNER rebuilt one, or Bill Bedford's one - but that is too late for my needs. I've not seen any of the D&S ones come up until recently when 3 in quite quick succession came on. First went for £116, second for just over £60 and I managed to grab the third for £52. There's no sign of any new ones from Danny (which would be about £50 anyway?), so I'm happy with that price. It's had some bits taken off the frets but appears to be complete, and it's been done neatly.

• Like 1

You have just proved the point, someone puts something up which is quite rare, then two or more try to prove who has the most money, then some owners of thes kits which are lying unbuilt see the opportunity , they still fetch good money, but not silly money. Well done on waiting for one at a decent price

I had an unexpected find, in that I got an industrial steam etched loco kit in a multi lot that I bought. Which after selling the items I had no use for cost me peanuts, however it sowed a seed for an inglenook layout in P4, strange how things pop up.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

There have been some good bargins. A SEF M& with spare chassis and spare gibson wheels plus a fully built Fincescast loco for £25, a fully bult DJH N for 49 with spare cabs and a pair of Comet Gresley corridor coaches with wheels for £30. 

• Like 2