Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Just bought 2 Southeastern Finecast (M7 & E5) the M7 being the better value and the E5 no where near as common, plus it had a few extras, I paid £112 and they would have cost me £190 + postage, a god saving plus a few added cheap extras.

Having said this unmade kits have been selling at very high prices, even the lower quality makes, at least these are the SEF revised kits with etched chassis

• Like 2

I have just bought a part built GWR 4-4-2 County tank for £82 inc postage. The work done todate looks to be of high quality, but has been part painted before all the details have been added, whilst the motor works the wheels will not turn, either a meshing and or axles not free enough. I think the kit is an Alan Gibson kit or its predecessor, there are lots of both cast or etch parts in a spares pack and a bonus is its built to EM gauge as I suspected (was advertised as 00 gauge). Having a quick look there are no tank fillers and cast buffers.

I think the first job is to remove the paint so the remaining cast and detail parts nan be fitted. Next up is the chassis, the wheels whilst stiff seem to revolve smoothly. It has an openframe 1024 and a motor mount which may be the issue. I don't think the chassis needs rebuilding just a good service, certainly a new gearbox and a more modern can motor

Given that these kits are so scarce and its a loco I have wanted for ages I am very happy with it, may need new drivers as well so I will send a polite request to the New Alan Gibson owners to buy some tank filler castings, drivers and and a set of instructions

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was fortunate to purchase  K's Aberdare (Hoorah! ) recently.  Fairly well made, but sadly not working.  It's greatest attribute is to 'lead the way' with my scratchbuilt version.  There was usually 2-3 on the books at Llantrisant, so I certainly won't mind. 

Railcar 18? Yes please! Don't mind if I do. Westward (?) used to make the kit, when Granny was a boy.  Depending on the funds in May/June, I'll finally have a chat with Mr. Dawson. 

There are certainly bargains to be had. I learned sometime ago that not to get too upset if you fail with a bid on 'Bay. Any auction, for that matter. These things are usually cyclic, and if it's not here now, it'll be in a couple of months or so.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My latest little gem after finding an etched brass part built GWR County tank (Alan Gibson ?) was a a built but non runner Southeastern Finecast USA Tank loco for Just over £50

The plus side is the body has been built and painted to a very good standard, it also has a Mashims motor and Branchlines multibox gear box, and the chassis is built to EM gauge standards

The down side, the drivers are out of quarter, there is an electrical short, and the valve gear needs slight attention

The jury is out on the chassis, on the face of it, it looks well built with the centre wheel being sprung with hornblocks. The motor is an issue, its 30 mm long flat can (1430?) the body just about fits, the rear shaft has to be threaded into the smoke box. The wheels are Gibson type, out of quarter and perhaps damaged,

The plan is to strip it down, and complete each stage and test thoroughly before proceeding to the next item Firstly to get a free running chassis with a set of Romfords, if this works fit a motor and gearbox, etc. There are no instructions so assessing and repairing the valve gear might be an issue. But that's a long way off

At worst I have the motor and gearbox, and still a decent kit to trade on, I think/hope it might be quite easy to get it running, but the valve gear and brake gear may cause quite a few issues

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Snagged a job lot of Microscale HO scale Southern Pacific Railroad transfer sheets for just over twenty quid.

In the UK too, they are like hens teeth unless you want to fork out upwards of fifteen quid postage per sheet from the other side of the Atlantic. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2021 at 11:32, John M Upton said:

Snagged a job lot of Microscale HO scale Southern Pacific Railroad transfer sheets for just over twenty quid.

In the UK too, they are like hens teeth unless you want to fork out upwards of fifteen quid postage per sheet from the other side of the Atlantic. 

Global payments really killed that kind of trade.

• Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just recieved a DJH GWR/BR 1366 loco, its been part built and the only thing I can see is missing is hand rail wire, given a new kit costs £135 + motor, gears, wheels and crank pins etc, I paid £40 + £4.20 postage, I have wheels in stock which will cushion additional costs

As I said its been part built, the body is fine, just needs finishing off the chassis will need certainly tweaking if not rebuilding. I will want it to be in EM gauge, but if I widen the mainframes I will have to adapt both the whitemetal cylinders and the etched slide bar assembly, plus I may need to fit Alan Gibson wheels rather than Markit/Romford. Also this may also affect the cast whitemetal brake shoes. Its a great pity that its not a bit more EM/P4 friendly

Still at £40 a great buy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I hope I have found something to fill a missing gap, that is a SR E4 loco, something I have been mildly interested in for sometime, but always been out bided when ever I tried

Listed as a non-runner, as it has no motor. Sadly in BR lined black, but looking very well built. The chassis is a bit unknown, as there is no photo of it, what I can see are Romford/Markit wheels, ashpan and spring details, so I assume its an etched chassis

At worst I have a set of nickel tyre Romfords, for £36 + postage and a nicely built body.  The description states the motor broke, so was taken out. A slight cause for concern, but it never  broke the bank, so a modest outlay is to be expected 

• Like 1

The SR E4 arrived today and I am very happy, the body has been built and painted to a very high standard, the one issue is its in lined BR livery

The chassis is etched and has Romford nickel tiered wheels, the wheels do rotate without binding, but are a little stiff (may need cleaning and oiling). No pickups and motor (I guessed the former and the latter was stated)

It would be an easy job to motorise the loco, so the £40 is well spent and I guess a cheap motor and gearbox can be bought reasonably cheaply. 

Firstly I want to repaint it to one of the SR liveries, next up is an EM conversion, I have spacers and EM axles, rebuilding the chassis may even lead to a smoother running chassis. Certainly a modern gearbox and decent motor will be superior to the earlier Romford large wormed motor mount

I also received two white metal kit built lorries I bought for £9.71 inc postage, one lorry is a bit early for me, but one is a short wheelbase tipper lorry like the ones I remember working between Bushey and Oxhey goods yard and the Gas works 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be buying  less often but in batches. I now am a bit more discerning ether looking for items I have not got, or duplicates either better than I have, or have parts I require and items I need to finish off existing models

Today a Nu-Cast 16xx arrived, clearly been built, unassembled then part rebuilt. The condition is OK but it has a set of Markit drivers at under £40 plus postage its less that the retail price of the wheels. I have another kit without wheels so the decision is do I need 2

Yesterday saw 2 Branchlines narrow gauge etched chassis kits for Peco locos arrive, less motors and gears. They cost me £64 plus postage, new chassis are £74 each including motors and gears, but with the cost of motors now quite cheap and gears widely available ( plus I have some spare DS10 motors and gearsets anyway) I thought it was well worth the money, as an etched chassis and wheels are well worth £32 each

Finally a few days ago I bought a Dave Alexander kit for a BR Class 14, Just over £30 inc postage and has a set of Romford insulated wheels, part built but should easily be able to dismantle it and start again. Needs the odd part and motor and gears. I think I need to prune my stash of kits. This is a keeper though. I think I may need to change the wheels to Gibson's simply as one crank is missing and I doubt if the throw is the same as Romfords.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bachmann Peak - GSYP D67 - for £48! A bit of a mess - glue everywhere and half the glazing replaced with home made, half the pick ups US. Ok it doesn’t have the nose seam but it’s going elsewhere and the new owner will not mind - and a good runner now. Have probably spent the same again on paint, transfers, crew, new glazing and plates but it’s new home is with an old school chum of over 50 years who hails from Chester. Think he might appreciate it...

2F278CA9-D599-45A3-8F1B-408E0465B652.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I picked up a Tower Brass O gauge BG for £130 including postage this week. Was listed as MM1 who dont make brass coaches which probably put doubt in peoples mind. I did correct the seller who told me he'd had three different opinions already, then promptly offered me a discount. Never look a gift horse....

Has just arrived and is in superb nick, professionally painted, lined and weathered. I'd expect to get double what I paid if relisting but as it is so good, will be keeping it.

• Like 2

Just got some Phoenix and others cast whitemetal figures, mostly 7 mm scale with 2 multiple packs of 4mm scale and some 2, 4 & 7 mm plastic figures for £16, listed as 4 mm scale but with the Phoenix models a clear distinction between 4 mm multi packs and the 7 mm items

• Like 1

I have had an interesting couple of days on eBay. First is an unbuilt Anbrico AEC London bus. At £20 inc postage not outrageous, I wanted an old Anbrico bus kit for ages and it will be fine for my docklands cameo.

I also bought a partly built etched brass LSWR/LNER brake van, either way will fit one of my two layouts and good value at £10 inc postage

I won a Southeastern Finecast N7 etched chassis with a Mashima flat can motor and a Branchlines gearbox £36 inc postage, well the kits now are £40 without motor and gears (sadly no wheels but I am being greedy !!) It was the motor and gears I really wanted, but then an hour later I won an unbuilt Wills Finecast N7 (this was a body only kit) for £30 inc postage, looks like I will have another N7 on the way

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up an unmade Craftsman kit for a Midland 0-4-4T 1P for £62 which I consider a bargain as kits seems to go for much higher prices these days. It's a round top and should go well with my Bachy one and a Belpaire one I built from another Craftsman for which I paid £65 from a fellow RMWebber.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just picked up an unmade Craftsman kit for a Midland 0-4-4T 1P for £62 which I consider a bargain as kits seems to go for much higher prices these days. It's a round top and should go well with my Bachy one and a Belpaire one I built from another Craftsman for which I paid £65 from a fellow RMWebber.

I have just bought a couple of items from the same seller, I am sure I have bought from this chap before and found he was a good seller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1