Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

On 20/07/2021 at 11:17, hayfield said:

I have had an interesting couple of days on eBay. First is an unbuilt Anbrico AEC London bus. At £20 inc postage not outrageous, I wanted an old Anbrico bus kit for ages and it will be fine for my docklands cameo.

I also bought a partly built etched brass LSWR/LNER brake van, either way will fit one of my two layouts and good value at £10 inc postage

I won a Southeastern Finecast N7 etched chassis with a Mashima flat can motor and a Branchlines gearbox £36 inc postage, well the kits now are £40 without motor and gears (sadly no wheels but I am being greedy !!) It was the motor and gears I really wanted, but then an hour later I won an unbuilt Wills Finecast N7 (this was a body only kit) for £30 inc postage, looks like I will have another N7 on the way

On 21/07/2021 at 10:19, jwealleans said:

I was keeping an eye on that.  It's an LNER Toad B.

Well after a few days my purchases arrived, the bus came on Tuesday and is fine, the LNER brake van has been well built (much better than I have ever achieved with Jedinco underframes, just needs step boards and a few other items fitting.

The Southeastern Finecast N7 chassis kit arrived with a Branchlines gearbox  and a Mashima  1630 flat can (14)  motor, forget the chassis it was worth it for the motor and gearbox. And the Wills Finecast N7 body arrived, looks to be complete plus has one pair of Gibson drivers (this saved me £6 as I am about to order some, no instructions, but the chassis kit has a full set

I just need the time to finish/build them 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well pleased with M7 at £62. I want the chassis for a Stanier2P. So I'll sell the body on. I was in for another M7 but luckily I was outbid. I didn't want two.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

not from ebay but amazon, something ive been watching for a good 6 weeks in the ‘warehouse’ section, a Hornby TTS class 60 in DB Shenker livery, 60044 ‘Dowlow’ which i got for £125, not seen it cheaper than £175 on line or in the shops

looks to have been opened but not run, box a bit creased in one corner but other than that fine, all detailing bits still sealed in box etc, i really thought it would have sold weeks ago at that price and i kept umming and ahhing over it but in the end thought id take the plunge, glad i did!

its actually one of the non colas/GBRf 60s ive driven for real in the same livery so a doubly good reason to have it

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2021 at 09:57, Rowsley17D said:

Just picked up an unmade Craftsman kit for a Midland 0-4-4T 1P for £62 which I consider a bargain as kits seems to go for much higher prices these days. It's a round top and should go well with my Bachy one and a Belpaire one I built from another Craftsman for which I paid £65 from a fellow RMWebber.

Picked up my kit from the PO this morning and found that it had a full set of Romfords in the box. The drivers are all insulated too. I missed this in the ad so am well-chuffed (sorry) at the price I paid.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Putting the "a" into insulated
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Picked up my kit from the PO this morning and found that it had a full set of Romfords in the box. The drivers are all insulted too. I missed this in the ad so am well-chuffed (sorry) at the price I paid.

Well done

The first thing I do is to look for wheels, motors and gears

One chassis I bought recently had an incomplete and damaged set of Maygib drivers, bin fodder though there was 1 pair of packed Alan Gibson wheels which saved me £6

Another chassis had a Mashima 1630 flat can (14mm wide flat side) with a Branchlines gearbox. The complete SEF chassis kit motor and gears cost me less than a new SEF chassis kit. 

I was going to sell the chassis, but I got a Wills Finecast body kit at a reasonable price, do I keep them or sell them on, certainly the motor and gearbox were the main attraction as Mashima's go for silly money 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Picked up my kit from the PO this morning and found that it had a full set of Romfords in the box. The drivers are all insulted too. I missed this in the ad so am well-chuffed (sorry) at the price I paid.

I didn't know wheels have feelings.

I'll get me coat.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Someone got lucky tonight with a 7mm malcolm Mitchell prairie kit for £102. I tried to bid £170 which I thought was ridiculously low but internet crashed and it wouldnt go through.

Pretty cheesed off to put it mildly 

• Friendly/supportive 9

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Someone got lucky tonight with a 7mm malcolm Mitchell prairie kit for £102. I tried to bid £170 which I thought was ridiculously low but internet crashed and it wouldnt go through.

If there is an Item I am desperate for I have both the phone and computer on to safeguard things like this, but there is no guarantee your bid would have won, I accept this is no consolation

• Agree 3

I have had 2 super buys recently from ebay of kits I never knew existed. 

The first was a alan gibson l&y attock brake 3rd. £45 including wheels in em gauge which was perfect as its my chosen gauge. 

The hunt was now on for a comp or all 3rd. Low & behold one pops up under the original brand they were sold under micro rail. This was even better I won the bidding at £36. This kit has 2 sets of gibson maunsell wheels so will do a london road models 6 wheeler too.

It's still my number one go to store for railways & you can still get plenty of bargains if you hunt for them. 

Hayfield it sounds like you have got some bargains with the part built loco kits you've got. The 1366 pannier is a steal & will no doubt run better than that god awful Heljan contraption. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simon Moore said:

I have had 2 super buys recently from ebay of kits I never knew existed. 

The first was a alan gibson l&y attock brake 3rd. £45 including wheels in em gauge which was perfect as its my chosen gauge. 

The hunt was now on for a comp or all 3rd. Low & behold one pops up under the original brand they were sold under micro rail. This was even better I won the bidding at £36. This kit has 2 sets of gibson maunsell wheels so will do a london road models 6 wheeler too.

It's still my number one go to store for railways & you can still get plenty of bargains if you hunt for them. 

Hayfield it sounds like you have got some bargains with the part built loco kits you've got. The 1366 pannier is a steal & will no doubt run better than that god awful Heljan contraption. 

Great spot with the coaches. Its nice when you find unexpected gems, as you say for kit builders its the best place around

The basic issue with the DJH chassis, is that they are a bit difficult to build in EM gauge, in this case owing to the cast cylinders, the motor and gears will find their way on to eBay as I will go for High Level gearbox and small motor, I don't know if a 1361 chassis is the same, if it is a CSP chassis may be the answer.

Just had a couple more goodies, I made a cheeky bid of £8 + postage for a GS whitemetal kit for a London Transport Green Line coach  (1952 AEC RF) then the same chap had a Pirate Models Q type Trolley bus, won it at £2.95 + postage. The Green Line coach reminds me of the coach my grandparents came in when visiting us, just for sentimental reasons. I am building a small docklands cameo layout, I may have to include a trolley bus now. Both are un-built and in boxes

I also spent £32 on a part built kit, I am farming the chassis and wheels, the rest will go back on eBay to soften the blow

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Great spot with the coaches. Its nice when you find unexpected gems, as you say for kit builders its the best place around

The basic issue with the DJH chassis, is that they are a bit difficult to build in EM gauge, in this case owing to the cast cylinders, the motor and gears will find their way on to eBay as I will go for High Level gearbox and small motor, I don't know if a 1361 chassis is the same, if it is a CSP chassis may be the answer.

Just had a couple more goodies, I made a cheeky bid of £8 + postage for a GS whitemetal kit for a London Transport Green Line coach  (1952 AEC RF) then the same chap had a Pirate Models Q type Trolley bus, won it at £2.95 + postage. The Green Line coach reminds me of the coach my grandparents came in when visiting us, just for sentimental reasons. I am building a small docklands cameo layout, I may have to include a trolley bus now. Both are un-built and in boxes

I also spent £32 on a part built kit, I am farming the chassis and wheels, the rest will go back on eBay to soften the blow

As it happens I remembered I bought a CSP chassis for my K's 1361 saddle tank loco, it is both the same length and wheelbase as the 1366 and is available for £20 and also has a hard cast crosshead, It may be worth building one of these and selling the 00 gauge chassis to someone with an old K's chassis

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well finally had some luck £17 for a lot including :

2 packs of Pressfix BR coach lining new in packet - I need to start building coaches, sandbox fillers, vacuum relief valves from a Duchess detailing kit, 3 turned brass Caley whistles, a set of springs from parts of a Comet chassis. - All of that alone was more than the value I paid.

Then it leaves 2 motors, various capacitors, Wagon W frames, Brit valve gear all of which when sold should get the value back.

It is hard though as some people are paying over the odds

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2021 at 14:02, Blandford1969 said:

It is hard though as some people are paying over the odds

Having just sold my house, trying to keep up with inflation is a real issue and I have started to wonder if model railways could actually do that.

I sold down my stash 2 years ago thinking I shouldn't have so much capital tied up. Back then an unmade O gauge parkside kit would get around £28 - now £35 plus is common. Towards the end of a run, locos may be discounted but once sold out, creep up to over the original new price.

You have to be careful as things can become obsolete but buying something you fancy, given smaller batches these days, and then selling it on in a few years, is probably better than keeping the cash. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

Limited edition rails of Sheffield 33001 for £100? I’ll have that thank you.

Poor seller, I offered £115 before I bid and they didn’t seem to want to let it go for less than £125. I bid £100 in the off chance I was going to be the only bidder and I have my own Q1

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Having just sold my house, trying to keep up with inflation is a real issue and I have started to wonder if model railways could actually do that.

I sold down my stash 2 years ago thinking I shouldn't have so much capital tied up. Back then an unmade O gauge parkside kit would get around £28 - now £35 plus is common. Towards the end of a run, locos may be discounted but once sold out, creep up to over the original new price.

You have to be careful as things can become obsolete but buying something you fancy, given smaller batches these days, and then selling it on in a few years, is probably better than keeping the cash. 

Supply and demand can be a nightmare. There's a silcone chip shortage being widely reported. I've been buying solid state computer drives ad-hoc for the last year or so. Last one I bought of the specific model was £155 in June. They are now going for £230+

• Like 2

If you are buying for an investment, I believe you need to trade just like you would do with antiques, watching out for changing trends, and making sure you are not holding on to items which fall out of fashion and will reduce in value over time

For model railways its the same, searching out rare and uncommon items and buying them cheaply and or seeking out the next trend, buying prior to their rise in value. How many people bought into the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn bubble, paying large sums for locos and seeing the value diminish

But we are talking about a hobby where collectables is not the major driving factor, buy what you like is the name of the game

Something I have been after for ages is an Anbrico AC 4 wheel railcar whitemetal kit. They go for silly money

A year or so I bought one on an H0 chassis cheaply, missing the underframe and interior, but it was cheap and at least I had one. Yesterday a part built, nearly complete one arrived in the post, it was only £34 inc postage, but it will allow me to rebuild both, as in conjunction with info I have collected on DMU's I can finish them. I will never make any money with these, I doubt if many will even be aware of Anbrico in the future, or like 4 wheel rail cars. My investments are our house and pension funds, which will once we are finished with them will benefit our daughter, my railway items will be sold off probably cheaply. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/08/2021 at 18:24, hayfield said:

If you are buying for an investment, I believe you need to trade just like you would do with antiques, watching out for changing trends, and making sure you are not holding on to items which fall out of fashion and will reduce in value over time

Agreed.

But, for example, I wouldn't have dreamed of buying a Masterpiece 7mm loco at c£2k a few years back. Then the various known issues abroad pushed the price of new ones up to £3k+ and low and behold, suddenly the old ones are fetching that.

This is at the riskier end of things but take another example, i bought all my Lionheart/Dapol mineral wagons for under £30. You wont find a second hand one for under £40 now.

In other words one, by which i mean this one, can feel entirely justified buying more models. So i am!

• Like 2

On 01/08/2021 at 20:37, Hal Nail said:

I've had problems like that in the past , signed up to auction stealer which allows you set up an auto bid that no one on eBay will be aware of . Just set the maximum you are willing to pay and wait for the auction to end . You need credit with the site but it's a very small amount taken per item and $5 lasts ages 

Edited by topnoddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Weird, but Ebay already does that….

Put in your maximum bid, and the eBay system will bid up to that amount if you get over bid…

No one knows your maximum bid on this system either, and it costs nothing!

If you bid early it just leaves you open to someone chipping away and you get pushed up. It's not unknown for the seller to do it either. That's why people bid at the last minute - been proven time and again to be the best tactic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1