Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Aha….what you mean is to use a “sniping” system, that only bids up to your limit in the closing seconds of an auction….

Yes, you can be open to that what you said, if you put your bid into the eBay system….

But that’s fine….if I get overbid, I can live with that….;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree entirely. I've said it before, ebay auctions are 7 days (or however long the auction is on for) of browsing followed by 5 seconds of putting the bid in and auction stealer (or another service) just does that last few seconds bid for you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

ebay auctions are 7 days (or however long the auction is on for) of browsing

By default, you are only ever going to win if you bid more than everyone else thinks its worth - which is a little uncomfortable you think about it!

I'd prefer that to be based on everyone guessing blind at the end than seeing my current bid 3 days out and thinking no thanks!

:)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

By default, you are only ever going to win if you bid more than everyone else thinks its worth - which is a little uncomfortable you think about it!

I'd prefer that to be based on everyone guessing blind at the end than seeing my current bid 3 days out and thinking no thanks!

:)

Lets face it we all like a good auction, whether its an old fashioned face to face one ,or time limited online version

Professionals at traditional auctions tend to hide/disguise their bids, especially if they are known by their piers, just in case the others have missed the item being auctioned.

Likewise not showing your hand until its too late for others to either test the waters or react gives you the best chance of winning the item and or keeping the price down. It also has the benefit of stopping you chasing the item and paying too much.

As for "bidding more than what everybody thinks its worth" this is the only way you win it. What you are looking for is, the item that has either been missed or undervalued.

Of course if you are a collector and missing an item to complete a collection or want that hard to find discontinued kit, you will only get it by out bidding others. But paying over the odds may be financially sound if it makes a set complete, increasing everything's value. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have just bought a lovely model of a freelance electrodiesel (well, something between a 71, 73 and 86), this began on the eBay Madness topic but here is a link because really I think it belongs here too:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5197-ebay-madness/&do=findComment&comment=4543521

- Richard.

Edit: I think it is an electric loco, not an electrodiesel. The is no evidence of a radiator or exhaust.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, hayfield said:

The workmanship looks to be very good so it depends both the fact that you like it, its cost and how it runs

I am not really used to 00 models any more. This one runs as well as the Lima models I remember - it would be good on a roundy-roundy but I don't think it would work for shunting. The wheel flanges are deeper than I expected (I always associated deep flanges with the last century) so it runs on the rail fixings on the Peco code 75 on my layout but is OK on Kato code 83.

I think, the chassis is riding too high on its bogies but this is from the Lima design:

DSCF1810.jpg.e59875f07524ffa8db3e11c3d09b4199.jpg

Also the loco with the pan down is too tall for the loading gauge on my layout, even though Continental outline H0 fits fine.

So I think I will keep the model in the display cabinet with my other 00 locos for a while. Maybe buy a fresh Lima chassis and see if I can change the ride height and the wheels, and if this is a success then move the bodyshell across to the new chassis and alter the obstructing baseboard support on the layout. I don't want to go altering things now and spoiling the loco.

As for cost - well, much the same as two Hornby 6-wheel coaches. I think market prices for this sort of thing are too low, but for some reason, we (hobbyists) don't much want to pay for skill and craftsmanship, only the end result. Which I think is sad but it is probably related to this being a hobby and not a necessity for everyone's daily life.

- Richard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For thought on the ride height, but maybe remove the bufferbeams from the chassis and attach to the body, using a bit of plastic card glued to the back of the beams, and then the body.

It could push out the bufferbeams that fraction to allow the body to them cover the sides of the frames, and drop down a few mm.

Before trying it though, check the height of the motor in relation to the roof of the body to ensure those extra few mm of clearance are there.

The pantograph does look a little high and should be a little lower, but then with a Channel Tunnel prototype back story..

whilst we are assuming its a class 71-a like and the effort into it is considerable, the livery seems to be more of an oversight.. as side of E5001’s preservation exploits has a 71 ever carried red lining and yellow ends ? What about a white cab ? Considering the efforts on conversion to omiss on the livery seems delibrate than accident, given its not a bad job there either… 

the real thing has recently been repainted blue..

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/60044/last-surviving-br-class-71-cosmetically-restored-at-locomotion/

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It may be of interest that the Hornby Railroad version of the Lima Class 73, which has a better motor, and can come DCC ready, should be a direct fit with the Lima Class 73 chassis, with regards to the body mountings.

We have a Lima body on a Hornby Railroad chassis.

The Lima chassis was sold on, fitted with the Hornby body to recoup some of the costs involved.

We did the same with some Lima Class 47 locos, moving the body to the sound fitted Hornby Railroad chassis, before selling on the Lima chassis fitted with the Hornby body, in the Lima box…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

whilst we are assuming its a class 71-a like and the effort into it is considerable, the livery seems to be more of an oversight.. as side of E5001’s preservation exploits has a 71 ever carried red lining and yellow ends ? What about a white cab ? Considering the efforts on conversion to omiss on the livery seems delibrate than accident, given its not a bad job there either… 

I am happy to suppose, the project manager on the Southern Region asked EE for a malachite green locomotive with some highlights on the cab window frames to imitate the style of the old class 70 (CC1/CC2) locos. EE obliged by applying their existing style for AC electrics in 'electric blue' but in green, and the latest BR regulations required them to add full-width yellow panels. Correspondence we will never see saw a decision to use the green on the cab roofs and cab side windows instead of the EE white, to fit in more with other stock on the Southern region.

I did ask the eBay vendor if they knew anything about the provenance of the model but sadly not. It came in a job lot where the only other interesting thing was the Bullied-style silver Co-Co. So all we know is what we see on the model, including the builder's notes on the inside of the body. I want to imagine, the builder chose this livery for a reason. They did all of the painting with brushes not sprays, and very neatly.

- Richard.

• Like 3

Lets hope I have not put a hex on them, first I picked up an unbuilt Stenning kit of a LBSCR E4 loco for just under £60 plus postage, whitemetal body, etched chassis and a few details, plus it has wheels (Romford), DS10 motor and gears. I have a built version but this has the instructions and parts for early and late versions.

Second is a bit of farming at worst, A built early Southeastern Finecast Collet goods at £18 + postage. It has Romford drivers, DS10 motor and the early (Wills) Finecast etched chassis. If its built well it may be a keeper, otherwise a cheap body and Tender will hit eBay.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

The above all arrived other than despatch time none disappointed.

The K's Bulldog is too good for what I wanted (I have a Falcon Brass etched body fret and wanted some castings). Do I need another Bulldog ?

The Wills Finecast Collet goods has the Romford/Markits  wheels, older etched chassis and DS10 motor and runs well. All for £23 plus a well build model with an acceptable brush painted job, so much for farming

The Stenning E4 arrived, pristine condition, Markit wheels, DS10 + motor mount and gears inc postage £62, more importantly a full set of instructions and parts for early or late versions. Now need for LBSCR improved green paint

I have pulled back over the past few days as I have too many kits, now looking for the odd rare item + spares. Stocktake needed 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Not on E-bay but at the Rayleigh swapmeet last Sunday I found five plastic bus kits at a pound each. Three MTS Leyland PD3/East Lancs and two Tower Models Leyland Olympians. The boxes were damaged by water but when I checked them the contents, even the decals were in perfect condition. The MTS kits usually go for about £10, the Tower Models kits for a bit less. Peco are now producing some of the Tower models kits.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2

Phil

A great spot, its all about knowing your subject

Local small shows are always a good hunting ground, I bought a complete Craftsman tank loco for £25 including wheels, gears and motor. Kit building still is a small minority interest, that's why eBay draws so much interest as most know its a great place to both buy and sell

• Agree 1

Have a plan when the Hattons 4 wheel coaches are released to couple one to a rake of three Hornby ones and use the decoder in the Hattons one to work the lights in the Hornby coaches. Requisite 2 pole conductive couplings are £15 for two  so quite pleased to pick up 6 for £8.18 including postage - three separate auctions  ending on two different days. The first one was with another pack on which bids were existing; the one I won just went from 99p to £1.70 while the other went past £10. The other two ended on 99p ; on each postage was £1.50. The listing for the second and third implied a combined postage would be available but its wasn't, presumably because of the 99p price. Idea was also to use 4 way conductives between the Hattons coach and any more of them (2 poles for the lights,  2 poles to link the track pick ups together) but unless any crop up on a 99p listing it looks like a decoder in each will be cheaper.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 20/08/2021 at 09:55, hayfield said:

The above all arrived other than despatch time none disappointed.

The K's Bulldog is too good for what I wanted (I have a Falcon Brass etched body fret and wanted some castings). Do I need another Bulldog ?

The Wills Finecast Collet goods has the Romford/Markits  wheels, older etched chassis and DS10 motor and runs well. All for £23 plus a well build model with an acceptable brush painted job, so much for farming

The Stenning E4 arrived, pristine condition, Markit wheels, DS10 + motor mount and gears inc postage £62, more importantly a full set of instructions and parts for early or late versions. Now need for LBSCR improved green paint

I have pulled back over the past few days as I have too many kits, now looking for the odd rare item + spares. Stocktake needed 

I understand the need to stocktake, about 40 wagon and coach kits now in the pile, along with a couple of dozen 'rebuilds'!

SWMBO is refusing to take any more parcels in until I actually build some of them :D

But there again I've seen these wagons......

• Like 2

I have actually listed 4 kits this week, all duplicates.

I bought 4 locos this week

One kit was to replace an earlier version

A second was for the chassis, wheels and motor

The third was for a second variant of a rare kit

The 4th was to farm items for the Falcon Brass bulldog, however its far too good for this so now I an in a quandary

I have come to the conclusion to sell it minus some additional castings and the Romford wheels,. I have used it to identify additional parts for the falcon brass (etches only) kit. I have a spare K's tender, now just need a Firebox/boiler/smoke box casting(s).

These kits do have a following and I would much rather put it on eBay as a virtually complete part built set of castings with a k's chassis and coupling rods but needing drivers motor and gears and let someone who could not afford a complete kit the chance to own one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recently acquired an SEF/Wills U1 for £32 (kit RRP £45 ). To my surprise it had been very nicely soldered together. The heavily hand painted maroon 'livery' (why?) will be removed,  buffers and handrails replaced. The original thinking was to build a P4 chassis from AG frames but the HD R1 chassis runs like a Swiss watch so I am tempted to just re-wheel it with Ultrascales although the centre wheel position is not quite right but I can probably live with that in my dotage!

It will run on the next new project Mynydd Du at a location between the Taff Vale and Rhymney Railways.  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166340-mynydd-du/

20210529_171854.jpg.e280efaf41bce8cb07fc0fd470dc4272.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

I recently acquired an SEF/Wills U1 for £32 (kit RRP £45 ). To my surprise it had been very nicely soldered together. The heavily hand painted maroon 'livery' (why?) will be removed,  buffers and handrails replaced. The original thinking was to build a P4 chassis from AG frames but the HD R1 chassis runs like a Swiss watch so I am tempted to just re-wheel it with Ultrascales although the centre wheel position is not quite right but I can probably live with that in my dotage!

It will run on the next new project Mynydd Du at a location between the Taff Vale and Rhymney Railways.  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166340-mynydd-du/

20210529_171854.jpg.e280efaf41bce8cb07fc0fd470dc4272.jpg

Of invest in a Southeastern Finecast FC201 etched brass chassis, designed to replace the Hornby Dublo R1 chassis, has full brake gear etc and 00 or EM/P4 chassis spacers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this week a Nu Cast GWR Railcar, the chassis has been started and most of the motion is missing, its also missing a couple of castings. It cost me inc postage just under £80 but included a RG4 motor. The seller stated a few parts were missing, but if its a case that I have a simplified valve gear, then I will be more than happy. Its missing a bell and part of the cylinder casting.

The RG4 had a very stiff gearbox, this has been soaked in white spirit, oiled and now working very nicely.

With it came a Dart casting Auto coach detail set with some unrelated part used etched frets, a pack of Peter Gross seated figures and a W&T GWR Castle/Star/King valve gear set

So quite a few useful bits for my money, certainly if I can get a new Etch from the Nu Cast partnership along with a bell & cylinder casting I will be very happy chappy, if I cannot I still will be equally happy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Got a bit of an accidental bargain - I can never resist looking at N7 listings and there was an SEF one with a buy it now of £80 with Markits wheels, open frame motor and gearbox but no instructions it caught my interest.

I wanted to know if the wheels were all insulated or half and half so tried asking - ebay said something like "because of the number of queries this seller gets they are unable to receive and respond to them". Eh? I don't give up that easily so I put in a silly offer of £60 as you can put a note in - but this was auto declined so I put on in for £70 and this one went through.

The seller only came back with a counter offer of £65 so I snapped it up. A £90 kit plus about £40 of wheels plus however much the motor and box is AND it also came with a pickup kit (even though the kit has one anyway).

Instructions won't be hard to find. And I can buy 3 wheels to make them all insulated with the £15 saved off the price I was prepared to pay anyway.

Lovely Jubbly :D

edit: Turns out I have a scan of the instructions already so sorted :)

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I have a couple of these, and as you say for some reason they are cheap as chips, a set of wheels are neared £50 and even a bog standard DS10 with motor mount and gears is £25. I have a couple of nicely hand painted Wills bodies in fully lined GER livery !!!

A great buy, if not day light robbery. You bought the wheels and motor and got a free kit

I am still smiling about the NuCast GWR Steam railcar with a RG4 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Slight twist on the wheel side of things - they are the correct diameter for an N7 (4'10" drivers) but the crank is between spokes instead of inline.

So they are actually driving wheels to suit a J17 - and I happen to have a Stelfox J17 kit without wheels so not even remotely bothered about this revelation. Well, a J17 is 4'11 but that's within tyre wear so not an issue.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1