Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Hoping to have unearthed a new gem of a few related items for £50

1 Hornby Dublo  2-6-4T body

2 Comet etched brass chassis, built and working

3 With a set of Romford wheels

4 RG4 motor

5 Lenz decoder

The body is of no interest at all, I have a Wills Class 4 2-6-4T body so the chassis will come in handy as the donor chassis comes from said HD loco, the question is are the wheels worth more being sold with the Wills body and Comet chassis, or do I sell all 3 lots separately

The motor will be destined to either a large em gauge loco

As for the decoder I have a small 7 mm tank loco and thinking of having a DCC 7 mm branch line terminus

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went looking for a second-hand book online. Cheapest I could find on Abebooks, Biblio or Amazon was $49.75 US, and cheapest including postage was $70.05 US.

On Ebay, there was one at $25.00 US, but with postage from US to Canada, a total of $74.05 US (!!). However, we live about 30 minutes north of the Canada/US border, and occasionally use a parcel-receiving service just across the line. Total cost to deliver to them - $29.95 US (i.e. postage of $4.95 against $49.05!). 

Yes, I'll have to pay a charge for the service ($3), plus possibly some import duty, but nothing like the difference in postage.

I look forward to the book.

Edited by pH
  • Like 4

On 15/03/2019 at 12:51, hayfield said:

Hoping to have unearthed a new gem of a few related items for £50

1 Hornby Dublo  2-6-4T body

2 Comet etched brass chassis, built and working

3 With a set of Romford wheels

4 RG4 motor

5 Lenz decoder

The body is of no interest at all, I have a Wills Class 4 2-6-4T body so the chassis will come in handy as the donor chassis comes from said HD loco, the question is are the wheels worth more being sold with the Wills body and Comet chassis, or do I sell all 3 lots separately

The motor will be destined to either a large em gauge loco

As for the decoder I have a small 7 mm tank loco and thinking of having a DCC 7 mm branch line terminus

Quick update

The chassis was in a little worse condition than the impression given by the description, but mainly due to axles locking up due to lack of lubrication whilst being in storage for a long time

The good news is the RG4 is fine, which is what it is all about, downside is the decoder is very old and I have been told not worth putting into a loco

I had to un-solder the cylinders from the chassis (should have been a screw fit not soldered), so minor repairs required, but the motion works very well which is a big plus for any potential user, Romford Wheels again are fine, axles could be polished or replaced. All in all a good buy and the motor will get less expensive as I sell off the wheels and chassis

• Like 1

Auctions are quite strange, some items do attract a lot of interest, others sometimes just do not attract attention. Good buys are usually those which do not stand out or finish at a time when potential bidders are busy (working)

I like selling at the weekends preferably late afternoon/early evening 

As a buyer I look for bargains, this years 50% of my buys have been mid week and 75% either mid day of early afternoon

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 13:09, Graham1960 said:

What amazed me was that one bid at the starting price was all it took! Wonders never cease:negative:

Not a model railway item, but I bid £50 on a X-Trainer that has an RRP of almost £500.

It turns out to be only about a year old and perfect.

It was a bit dusty though.....

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Finally scored a  brass Hallmark Frisco 4-4-0 .I have been looking for one at a decent price for years .I even have a few sets of  long deceased Oddball  decals doric stripes i bought quite a few yearrs ago to make sure if I ever  managed to get a loco I could paint it .I also have some Champ  but as they are left overs from my custom painting days long ago they are incomplete .The model is far from perfect like most Hallmark .Its main issue is the cylinders are only 60% of full size so look a bit sqibby .God knows why they made them like it .Anyway I can  now strip ,work on, and then paint .Not sure about the cyls yet though Iits one to strike off the list .Perhaps an Also model S6 will turn up at a pleasant price.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, friscopete said:

Finally scored a  brass Hallmark Frisco 4-4-0 .I have been looking for one at a decent price for years .I even have a few sets of  long deceased Oddball  decals doric stripes i bought quite a few yearrs ago to make sure if I ever  managed to get a loco I could paint it .I also have some Champ  but as they are left overs from my custom painting days long ago they are incomplete .The model is far from perfect like most Hallmark .Its main issue is the cylinders are only 60% of full size so look a bit sqibby .God knows why they made them like it .Anyway I can  now strip ,work on, and then paint .Not sure about the cyls yet though Iits one to strike off the list .Perhaps an Also model S6 will turn up at a pleasant price.

Just had a look at the loco, stunning 

Edited by hayfield

Having thought for some time about detailing my old Airfix autocoach I decided to get a spare body to donate the drivers doors. I bid a fiver on a repainted one, and got it. Imagine my delight when it arrived with a fitted detail kit on the chassis!

1176599565_IMGP7535sml.jpg.2f6359dfbd06060244f0edf9b243d9d3.jpg

1775970462_IMGP7536sml.jpg.eb9f15f456689d1b7ecc04dd4ee2763b.jpg

I was going to fit some 7 foot bogies to my old coach, but I think I'll keep this as is, I don't want to damage the nice fittings.

So the body has now been stripped and is awaiting the new drivers doors, 

200636620_IMGP7540sml.jpg.5c11d071aca0b799c9b85e2c3548d46e.jpg

It'll be blood and custard -  and It'll have SE Finecast glazing, I know there's better but after months of trying I've given up!

Les

• Like 4

I am having a bit of a lean time acquiring bargains at the moment, bought a 7 mm Dapol Terrier for a decent price, everything else I bid for seems to be going for good (for the seller) prices. Having said this I am not finding too much I really like. I am tracking a few things but not too much to get excited about at the moment, perhaps this weekends reduced charges may tempt a few more sellers

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a good find on eBay, a 7mm scale Roxey Mouldings un-built kit of a GWR 4 wheeled coach with wheels, buyer stated its all there (and on quick look its seems so) with wheels but no box. Well the kits sells for £80 + £9 for the wheels, got it for just £30 + postage, just the job for my Springside 14xx, just need another 4 wheeler to make a small set.

• Like 3

No idea how good the buy was, mostly sounded good to me as I'm trying to accumulate some more G track for a small garden circuit.

4 curved pieces Aristo ARI-7201 making half a circle 4' dia., when received appear to be brand new even though listed as used. Total $20 including shipping, seemed like a steal to me! :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

Ian

I think that whilst technically it was not new a better description is unused or hardly used. When listing an item which is still packed up I list it as used but state it is still unused etc

As for your track sounds a good buy to me

Anyway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a surprise buy of a Hobby Holidays Master Chassis jig for £60 inc postage, thought I would have to spend much more as they are £230 new, its a 5 axle 4 mm jig with 00 rolling road but missing one axle and a rolling road, neither an issue as the biggest loco will be 6 wheels. Also missing both Alan keys  and the wires to electrify the rolling roads, these can easily be obtained/made up.

Spoken with Phil ( Hobby Holidays) who is happy to supply 7mm scale mock axles and rolling roads (may order a set of EM gauge ones) and will be ready at Railex

Must admit nothing very much interested me over the weekend and those that did I got out bid

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 21:56, cctransuk said:

Did it come with a complimentary tin of black paint and a set of transfers?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well it didn't come with footsteps, so if you have any..... 

The one I built from a dublo body, 2-6-2 chassis, princess wheels and front bogie is as you'd like 😉

2-6-4.JPG.4eed223e28b43b7f5862e0cbbb50317e.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Graham Farish new tooling Class 37 in Large Logo split from Highlander set for sixty sheets Sir?

Clicked Buy it Now so fast my fingers almost went into a time warp...

There are quite a few auctions for MKT Railroad 40 foot piggyback trailers - singles, pairs, on flatcars or not. The prices are, in my opinion, silly. Two trailers, not mounted on cars, regularly start at $50. One MKT trailer, paired with one from another railroad, mounted on an 85 foot flat will go for $55 upwards. Even 25 foot trailers are expensive – there's an auction on just now for two 25 foots mounted on a 50 flatcar at $99.99 or best offer (though that's exceptional).

So two 40 foot trailers mounted on spine cars for $16.50 seemed a really good deal – and it wasn't even “buy it now”! :D

• Like 2

A few years back I took a punt on a "Spares or repair - non runner" Rivarossi streamlined 4-6-2 BR10  with an opening bid of 45 euros - and won.

Inspection of the loco on arrival showed it was near mint with hardly any obvious signs of use, but crucially missing the small screw retaining the tender drawbar and electrical connector. It took longer to find the old tobacco tin with all my spare screws, springs and bits than it did to fix the loco. :^)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Had a couple of good days on eBay, firstly an unbuilt Southeastern Finecast P class loco for just under £44, a saving of £40 plus postage but when opening the box a new set or Markit wheels axles and crankpins which would have set me back another £40+. A very nice surprise as not mentioned in sale

I also bought a ready built Silver Fox W&M 4 wheeled railbus with a DC kits chassis jor just under £37 all in. Wheels need a good clean but in excellent condition (I have a soft spot for railcars) First time I have come across this company and its products

A bit of a downer was a Peco 0-16.5 GVR tram with added detail, well packed but cab came apart into several pieces in transit, looks to have been superglued !! Only one part really bent, but what else will come adrift over time? plus I have too many other items on the workbench

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4