Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

I've got permission to buy a little bit of stuff for our Daughter for Christmas. I already have a Thomas with Annie and Clarabel but not much in the way of track. I noticed that Hornby to a track pack system - a mat with a picture of a suggested layout, and packs to slowly increase the track until it covers all the picture.

An oval and then a couple of add-ons to make a second oval and siding is about £90 - so I was very pleased to get that in as-new for £30 :)

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 4

On 08/08/2019 at 15:26, hayfield said:

Found an old part built Wills Finecast SR P class loco as I have a spare Southeastern Finecast etched chassis, paid £28 plus £4 P&P. The parts which had been started had been stuck together with super glue, so an easy job to revert it back to a kit. Included was an older cast chassis and a Triang (TT) XT60 motor, both being unused. I put the motor on eBay at what I thought was a cheeky price of £9.95, it sold for £17 (it was unused). So after costs the body kit now cost me £17, there was another body only kit which ended up selling at £26 + postage but no chassis or motor, its always worth paying a bit more for added value which in the end saves you money, though I had no real idea of the motors true value 

To follow up this thread

I have just sold the cast chassis for £13 which has helped someone else out, so the whilst the kit has lost its motor and chassis after fees its cost me £5

A few months before buying this loco I bought an unbuilt Southeastern Finecast P class etched chassis for £19. I had a set of Romford wheels which came from another P class cast chassis I bought & sold, net cost £9 

The kit now needs a motor. I plan to use a small Mashima motor from my spares box (though I do have a couple of tiny Mashima's (one I paid full price for) in the motors box.

I am in the process of building another two P class chassis (one a SEF etched chassis the other a Branchlines etched chassis) which I have used the High Level compact gearboxes along with small flat can Mashima 1220 motors. I am holding fire on this loco build as the body for the Branchline chassis has a Branchline etched conversion/detail kitwith it and some of the unused new cast parts may be better than those in this kit

Still just shows how by buying items when you see them rather than when you need them saves money as does selling off parts that are surplus, just need another gearbox off Chris, or I have a spare Branchlines gearbox  I have bought a coreless motor from Chris at Scaleforum and quite eager to use test it out, but its too large for the P class.

Looks like once the kit is built it will be from at least 5 or 6 differing purchases, had I bought all the items new i would be looking at a cost of about £170. To date the net cost may be around £40 ish simply by reselling items I did not require, recycling at its best !!! 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A month or so ago there was some kind of nectar point promotion on ebay - I registered for it but can't remember the details, but I noticed the other day I had been credited with 4000 nectar points so obviously did something right! Add in yesterday's 10% off new items and I have picked up a Lenz set 101 for £244 delivered :)

Edited by Bucoops
4000 not 40000 points!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased a small 9mm gauge layout. It was of the 'rabbit warren' type and only 2' by 3'. It came complete with controller and only needed a clean of the track to get stock running on it. It needs a fair bit of work to make it presentable but as only £10 was paid for it complete I can't complain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

A month or so ago there was some kind of nectar point promotion on ebay - I registered for it but can't remember the details, but I noticed the other day I had been credited with 40,000 nectar points so obviously did something right! Add in yesterday's 10% off new items and I have picked up a Lenz set 101 for £244 delivered :)

How did you collect that many points?  I registered some time ago and only got 1200 points worth £6.25

• Like 2

Just spent £37.50 all in for a nearly built DJH LNER Shire loco, the loco and tender have been really well built and painted, the builder obviously had issues with the chassis. Its an early kit with a brass bar frame, MW 005 ( X03  style) motor sticking into the cab and Romford wheels. I could perhaps do something with the chassis, but to do justice to the loco a more modern chassis motor and gearbox would really set it off. Might be worth perhaps buying a High Level Slimline gearbox and fit a 1024 motor I have, at worst the gear box will come in useful on another brass bar chassis I have.

This is the second DJH loco I recently bought a DJH U class loco, given the other parts which came with the loco it cost me between £25 & £30, Its a newer chassis that the brass bar but is a fold up etch to 00 gauge, I want to rebuild it to EM, hoping that I can rebuild it by cutting away the middle of the etch and fitting new chassis spacers.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, hayfield said:

How did you collect that many points?  I registered some time ago and only got 1200 points worth £6.25

I have no idea! I normally only have a few hundred. But I do recall some kind of offer a little while back talking about random bonus points.

Just had a look and I made the number up - it was 4000 not 40000 (brain fart!). 40000 would be £200!

• Like 1

There has been some who say there are no longer bargains on eBay any more, it may well be that with many more punters being aware of what's for sale on the whole items do fetch more, especially when they are well presented. I think those of us who still like a bargain have to look a bit harder, take the odd gamble and have a bit of luck

I saw a lot which interested me, this was the title

Wills finecast kit chassis for M7 locomotive SR M7

The description said

Wills finecast kit chassis for M7 locomotive SR M7. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class. Unsure if complete

There were 5 photos, two were of the box, 3 were of the chassis with 2 showing a complete unpainted body and a set of chassis instructions

What I knew for certain there were 4 Romford drivers ( £27 new with axles) 2 bogie wheels (£6) a box which would cost me £3.50 (decent loco boxes are always worth acquiring ) and I have a cast chassis and a set of gears I could sell on eBay for £5 & £3 respectively

My hunch was right for £13.72 inc postage I have a Wills M7 loco, cast chassis with Romford wheels and 50-1 gears, missing a couple of small castings, motor (which I knew), handrail knobs and crankpins 

I must own up to buying another Wills loco box, which cost £8.75 inc postage, includes an etch for what looks like a LMS or BR motion, turned brass chimney and something which is still wrapped up in white tissue paper. Curiosity got me with this one, the box and chimney will be of use

I also bought what was described as a 57xx boxed loco body for £1.30 + £4 postage, clearly a 56xx as it has 6518 plates on and at a guess is a GEM model. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a tower brass O gauge b set pair recently for £320 after making an offer and then including the 10% discount ebay were offering. Compares well with two identical ones on Ellis Clark's website for £575 and £600 at present. The seller had another pair and in retrospect I should have bought both with the discount and sold one on. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just won a ‘rainbow railways’ Bachmann class 66 respray of 66587 in its pink “ONE” livery for £136, buying it via TopCashback takes another £1.50 or so off it too

the rainbow railways website has it for sale at about £230, I suspect hattons recent announcement of the same loco in their range may have influenced the final selling price

non railway related I win a K*N Apollo induction kit for the mini for £99 last week, brand new it cost £420! Gave it a good clean earlier with some k&n filter cleaner, the muck coming out of it was unreal but it’s now like new and oiled up ready to fit ,going to give the pipes a good metal polish too before they go on 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

Won a built Gem 4mm scale whitemetal body for £1.30 + £4 postage, one step needs repairing and a decent set of handrails need fabricating. Just wait for a Comet chassis to apear on eBay

Swiftly followed by a K's Terrier body which had been unassembled, has a Branchlines etched chassis minus the brage gear and a set of Gibson wheels. The chassis is built to EM gauge which is what I am modelling and have motor and gears to fit it and somewhere have a Mainly trains brake gear etch. I have a couple of Terriers built to 00 gauge. might just use the chassis cost £32.20.

• Like 3

Good News, Bad News and Good News,.... I think.

On the Bargains thread here a few weeks ago there was a head-up on ebay offering a 10% discount.

Kind of had my eye on the Bachmann Class 90 Freightliner livery, RRP £180, On-Line at £153 and the FreightLiner store on ebay at £140. So the ebay 10% off voucher was the cruncher at £126. Order placed and got the last one.

So far that’s the good news.

Got an email a few days later saying that my order was cancelled, the model was the last one they had in stock and when they went to package it, noticed it was damaged.

The bad news!

I asked them what the damage was and was it considerable, to which they said they weren’t sure. Someone inspected it and noticed a few loose screws rattling in the box and noted it as ‘Faulty’. Offered to sell it to me for £50 and if I’m not happy, I can get a refund.

Deal done!

The Good News MKII

Lovely model arrived, and indeed there were a few things rattling around, so I have a few questions please:899794858_2019-11-1815_18_01.jpg.d5ef38b5ea2d2115f11f2e2e7e60fa1d.jpg

A:            2 loose sprung buffers.

Not sure how easy it will be to reattach in working order. Any ideas?

B:            A loose screw, I cannot see where this may come from. Cannot immediately see any screw holes looking for a missing screw.

Maybe inside? Anyone else seen this?

C:            A part of the sand box pipework loose in the protective packaging. This looks to be a very friable part.

How would I refix this without a huge blob of glue?

163751668_2019-11-1815_19.03Detail.jpg.0c5836e435c0be3784712f95a3af5746.jpg

D:            It may be the way it’s made, but the bogies hang down when I lift the model by the body.

Is this normal?

975771075_2019-11-1815_21_07.jpg.9943d8c4d0e4149dae78b6f3cc182baa.jpg

1986675904_2019-11-1815_21_17.jpg.b30a0897709d18410f4e7adb0921b2d5.jpg

Is this still a good news story?

Edited by Damo666
Formatting & silly typos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd say a very good news story :)

My guess is that the bogies are fine - a good sign to me is that both are doing the same thing.

Not sure how to fix the buffers, but I'm sure someone can help (maybe a separate post on the Modelling Questions Board will get better results?)

As for the pipework, I'd try a liquid glue such as liquid poly applied with a brush (not to be confused with a thicker tube-type cement).

HTH

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To fix the buffers ..

Check they dry fit back in place correctly. When happy with orientation remove again, apply a very thin bead of gel superglue around the inside edge of the hole and carefully reinsert buffer without shank touching glue.

If the liquid glue doesnt work for the pipework again try a tiny dab of gel superglue - and use accelerator to get a rapid strong bond

Are the bogies suspended by their screws or just the pick up wires - that amount of droop doesnt look right but how does it run?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

To fix the buffers ..

Check they dry fit back in place correctly. When happy with orientation remove again, apply a very thin bead of gel superglue around the inside edge of the hole and carefully reinsert buffer without shank touching glue.

But then they won't be sprung buffers anymore :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up Kernow’s ltd Ed 66709 in sorrento ‘ship’ livery last night for £127 

bought through TopCashback back site which gave me 3.5% back (£4.45) and 6 x nectar points (£3.30 worth) takes it down to just below £120

ive arranged to collect it from Nantwich which also saved me the postage, when I paid it bought up the sellers name who I recognised as a fellow GBRF driver! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

ive arranged to collect it from Nantwich which also saved me the postage, when I paid it bought up the sellers name who I recognised as a fellow GBRF driver! 

Ask for a staff discount.....

• Funny 3

Just got a bargain box of bits, which hid a Branchlines Pug chassis + Gibson wheels and a Port Wynnstay resin and 7mm association etched slate wagon, well over 30 items from buffers to coach sides and bogie frets, 30 odd 00 curley spoke wagon wheels etc all for £30.

there are some Plasticstrut strips not worth much, but very useful and expensive if bought

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I'm LNER/GER through and through I've always liked Stepney because of the Thomas stories. I picked up a Ks A1X kit with Ks motor (bin?), and unstarted branchlines chassis for just over £30. The kit has been started, and it's actually been done really well. It has Romford wheels but half are insulated so I'll need to replace three uninsulated ones.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

You have done very well there, the chassis and wheels alone must be worth the £30, If the wheels are nickle tyred I would still use them, unless you have a specific need for them

If the K's motor works put it on eBay starting at £1 (spread the good fortune to others) collectors may need or have a use for one, even the HP2M's, If the Romford plain wheels are nickle plated also pop them on eBay as they are £6 is now and many prefer live chassis.  Selling both makes the kit an even better buy and supplements the cost of wheels motor and gears

I have recently built a Branchlines P class chassis, basic but went together very well especially when I used a gear box rather than a motor mount. I have a Branchlines Terrier chassis somewhere waiting to be built

• Like 2

First "bargain" via ebay for a long time , the prices for some kits has gone totally daft !!

A poorly listed 4mm Langley NER Autocar Body only kit , for £25 , current rrp £46.50. Luckily, I already have the correct bogies in stock. Perfect partner for the Rails NER Autocar for release next year.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As the hattons 66 draws nearer the price of Bachmann 66s drops!

just won an ‘andi walshaw’ Professional respray of 66780 in GBRf Cemex livery for £115 Buy it now after it was reduced from £145 overnight

pleased with that, 3rd bargain 66 in as many weeks 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying now to be a bit more restrained in my buying, both having a one in and one out strategy, but also buying items I need rather than what I fancy

Earlier in December I bought a lot of very mixed and mostly useful items. As well as a couple of wagon kits, some wheels and Evergreen strip, hidden in the photo was a Branchlines Pug kit with wheels (no axles), I thought I bought well but as it happens after selling off a few items that were of no use to me the chassis barely cost me anything 

The next thing was a multi gauge (H0 to S gauge) rolling road which is ideal as I have layouts in EM & P4 gauges, never been out of the boxes as both has a rolling road and running stands (Ideal for tender pickup or tender drive. £64 was not too bad seeing the cost of similar items

Finally a very well built Wills Finecast SR I3 loco 4-4-2T for £50 and looking at it should initially be a quick EM conversion using new axles and some black plastic card, has a D11 motor which is meshed very well for a change

I must admit as usual bidding was quite high over Christmas, several items I was interested in went for far more than I wanted to pay. I only got the I3 as the description was wrong, less than helpful photos and quite vague. Still a loco I have wanted for some time 

• Like 4