Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

My 4th second hand ebay Hornby M7 arrived today - 30031 for just under £64 post free, a buy it now; it was listed originally £11 dearer and I was watching another when I noticed in my list of recently browsed items the price reduction which made it cheaper the one I watching, a 30108 on auction with no bids and which has now been relisted. Purchase necessary when I realised my three push pull sets had only two push pull fitted M7s to serve them.

EDIT - make that the fifth, seems I had overlooked one so did actually have enough PP fitted one but then you can never have enough M7s!

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

In my defence I was the only bidder :p

I had it on the radar as it had £30+ worth of wheels in it, I have one, plus dont model this region so just could not bother to bid, glad I didn't now. These kits are now £90 ish and if it has a full set of wheels, axles and crankpins that's another £40. Being a SEF kit should have a nicely etched chassis and a few more castings than the Wills model. Great value at 1/3 of the cost today and if painted in blue, very pretty loco. Do use a decent gearbox and I understand that Chris at High Level has coreless motors at Mashima prices

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I had it on the radar as it had £30+ worth of wheels in it, I have one, plus dont model this region so just could not bother to bid, glad I didn't now. These kits are now £90 ish and if it has a full set of wheels, axles and crankpins that's another £40. Being a SEF kit should have a nicely etched chassis and a few more castings than the Wills model. Great value at 1/3 of the cost today and if painted in blue, very pretty loco. Do use a decent gearbox and I understand that Chris at High Level has coreless motors at Mashima prices

I already have a note that a roadrunner 60:1 should fit and provide the right speed. Interesting that Chris may have "solved" the Mashima issue. So many places bought huge amounts of motors before Mr Mashima retired I've not seen a shortage as such yet - just some rather optimistic prices!

• Agree 1

Picked up a brand new Mashima 1426 motor last night, still in its packaging, for only £22. Whilst not quite as rare as hen's teeth - yet - they are becoming harder to find at a good price. As Bucoops says, you do regularly see them at very <optimistic> prices...

Mark

• Like 2

I have had a few chats with Chris about replacements, from memory he has found a can motor that will retail in the region of £15, though I see he still has stocks of Mashimas according to his website. At Scaleforum he has sourced a coreless motor which he had a show special price of £25, think they retail at £28, not used it yet as I cannot make my mind up which loco to put it in

Like others I bought some motors cheap from China at about £3.50 inc postage so I bought 2, only to find the £3.50 was f0r 2, they are a bit fast so would need as large a reduction as possible

DC 12V 36500RPM 5-Pole Rotor DC Motor High Speed Dual Shaft Carbon Brush

Sadly not up to Mashima's and have no fixing holes, Chris has had the coreless both drilled and tapped to fit his gearboxes.

As for current Mashima prices, I doubt if they will get cheaper in the short term unless traders under cut them with replacement units

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Picked up a brand new Mashima 1426 motor last night, still in its packaging, for only £22. Whilst not quite as rare as hen's teeth - yet - they are becoming harder to find at a good price. As Bucoops says, you do regularly see them at very <optimistic> prices...

Mark

I nearly bid on that one but decided against it (only so much hoarding I can cope with!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hayfield said:

I have had a few chats with Chris about replacements, from memory he has found a can motor that will retail in the region of £15, though I see he still has stocks of Mashimas according to his website. At Scaleforum he has sourced a coreless motor which he had a show special price of £25, think they retail at £28, not used it yet as I cannot make my mind up which loco to put it in

Like others I bought some motors cheap from China at about £3.50 inc postage so I bought 2, only to find the £3.50 was f0r 2, they are a bit fast so would need as large a reduction as possible

DC 12V 36500RPM 5-Pole Rotor DC Motor High Speed Dual Shaft Carbon Brush

Sadly not up to Mashima's and have no fixing holes, Chris has had the coreless both drilled and tapped to fit his gearboxes.

As for current Mashima prices, I doubt if they will get cheaper in the short term unless traders under cut them with replacement units

Setting aside the fact that I sell them - by all means source your own - the Japanese Mitsumi motor now has an excellent reputation as a slow-running, reliable workhorse with proper carbon brushgear.

I and my clients have use literally thousands ; I've had no problems whatsoever with all kinds of loco installations, and I've have had no complaints from customers. Indeed, several have expressed their admiration for them here and elsewhere.

Screw mounting holes are present, and I supply suitable screws and instructions on where to drill extra mounting holes in gearboxes - particularly High Level.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I nearly bid on that one but decided against it (only so much hoarding I can cope with!).

Cheers, Richard :)

This one is going straight into a model though - not hoarding...

...for once :D

Mark

• Like 2

John

One of these days I will try one, but my one reservation is having to alter the mounting bracket. I like others have had issues in the past with motor mounts, now with High Level, Comet and Branchlines gearboxes I have used to date they work first time (even with the cheap fast motor I bought which was super-glued into position. (the centre mounted collet is exactly the same diameter). But as you say at £8 well worth a try and saves the hassle of sourcing from China.

First though I must try this coreless motor just to see whether it makes a difference.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hayfield said:

John

One of these days I will try one, but my one reservation is having to alter the mounting bracket. I like others have had issues in the past with motor mounts, now with High Level, Comet and Branchlines gearboxes I have used to date they work first time (even with the cheap fast motor I bought which was super-glued into position. (the centre mounted collet is exactly the same diameter). But as you say at £8 well worth a try and saves the hassle of sourcing from China.

First though I must try this coreless motor just to see whether it makes a difference.

The Mitsumi can be superglued to the gearbox - it too has a mounting collet around the motor bearing. The diagram below shows how to mount it on a High Level gearbox with screw fixing.

30004058_GEARBOXFIXINGHOLES.jpg.a024e5200aec2627141e38f442789fd3.jpg

This template is supplied when motors are bought from me, along with the necessary screws.

395780033_MOTORPACKINSERT.JPG.07ef865a9023ac5dfb6b28f11da0c2a1.JPG

I am using these motors exclusively now - even in preference to Mashimas that I already have in stock. The Mitsumi is MUCH quieter - almost silent - and is slower running, so that slow speed control is exemplary.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just bought a lot for a scale chassis for a 3F along with 2 Airfix 3F loco bodies (1 with a chassis). Excluding the 2 bodies The Comet chassis and gearbox, the Romford drivers axles and crankpins and the Mashima motor at today's retail prices would cost me £102.60 plus whatever the 2 loco bodies would cost me.

I don't want the loco bodies as I hope the chassis will fit under a Wills SR Q class loco, cost me £46 inc postage and I guess the loco bodies will get me £10+ on eBay, at worst if the 3F chassis is no good they are quite sought after on eBay. The other thing is its a Mashima 1620 so will need to go into a larger tank loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2020 at 20:00, hayfield said:

Just bought a lot for a scale chassis for a 3F along with 2 Airfix 3F loco bodies (1 with a chassis). Excluding the 2 bodies The Comet chassis and gearbox, the Romford drivers axles and crankpins and the Mashima motor at today's retail prices would cost me £102.60 plus whatever the 2 loco bodies would cost me.

Hows that one in one out policy?! :)

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hows that one in one out policy?! :)

Not as bad as it was, this latest buy enables me at best to convert one of my whitemetal kits which uses a RTR chassis to both an etched & EM gauge chassis. The worst case is I can use the wheels, axles and gears to convert one of my 0-6-0 locos. If that's the case the Chassis and loco bodies will be resold making this nearly cost neutral. 99% of what I spend on eBay is the result of moving on unwanted items. So as per my usual if I find a lot of items of which some items I can easily use, I will buy and sell of the bits I do not want, the two bodies will be on eBay at the weekend. As I said in an earlier post I considered buying a kit where I would keep the wheels and motor and resell the kit

The last 3 months I have bought 3 locos and sold one, but that's after quite a clear out last year, and been funded mainly by selling off my stocks of open framed motors and stocks of Romford gear sets with imperial sized holes to match. I still have quite a few locos to dispose of, but they need sorting out and that will take time. Also do I need all the spares I have, the answer is a clear no

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Not as bad as it was, this latest buy enables me at best to convert one of my whitemetal kits which uses a RTR chassis to both an etched & EM gauge chassis. The worst case is I can use the wheels, axles and gears to convert one of my 0-6-0 locos. If that's the case the Chassis and loco bodies will be resold making this nearly cost neutral. 99% of what I spend on eBay is the result of moving on unwanted items. So as per my usual if I find a lot of items of which some items I can easily use, I will buy and sell of the bits I do not want, the two bodies will be on eBay at the weekend. As I said in an earlier post I considered buying a kit where I would keep the wheels and motor and resell the kit

The last 3 months I have bought 3 locos and sold one, but that's after quite a clear out last year, and been funded mainly by selling off my stocks of open framed motors and stocks of Romford gear sets with imperial sized holes to match. I still have quite a few locos to dispose of, but they need sorting out and that will take time. Also do I need all the spares I have, the answer is a clear no

How many of us are nailed to the cross of good intention?

I for one!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Mike

Last year I had a really great clear out, sold all of my EMU kits and kit built stock, as I said the Romford gears went, as did old X03/4 motors plus a few D11's , I think I need to go through my unmade kits and certainly release any motors and gears I will never use and help pay for those I need.

I bought a ready made Nucast 42xx for £45 inc postage, sold the Romford motor for £25. The body is well made and has Romfords, the gears will be sold, doubt if the chassis is worth anything other than spares for another 42/72xx I have, have a motor and gearbox in my spares boxes and an etched chassis I bought last year.

Initially my aim was to thin down my collection and fit etched chassis and can motors to the locos I wish to keep.

This has evolved initially to in the main keeping my GWR & LSWR locos, then convert to EM gauge, now I have realised that I have a few other SR classes I like.

As you say good intentions, I am in a better place than 2 years ago, but now getting more time as the house rebuild is concluding and retirement looming 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/01/2020 at 20:00, hayfield said:

I don't want the loco bodies as I hope the chassis will fit under a Wills SR Q class loco, cost me £46 inc postage and I guess the loco bodies will get me £10+ on eBay, at worst if the 3F chassis is no good they are quite sought after on eBay. The other thing is its a Mashima 1620 so will need to go into a larger tank loco.

The chassis parts arrived today, offered the etched  chassis up to a Triang/Hornby chassis, the good news is that it is almost a direct replacement. I have a kit built Wills Finecast SR Q class loco which uses a Triang chassis, whilst its not the correct chassis for the class, the Wills kit is designed to fit it. The plan now is to convert the loco to EM gauge, This chassis sorts out the loco body and the plan is to build a cab interior. I have a set of Comet EM frame spacers and 3 different makes of tender chassis.

I have built a Wills Triang replacement etched loco chassis to EM gauge to test trackwork, its ideal as it has no brake gear. So at worst I have a substitute in the wings 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been convinced for some time that auctions ending on Sunday afternoon and evening end up selling for less than par. An example today a 7mm Heljan wagon, used but as new condition, retailing new at c£70, sold for £32. I sold an identical one for £49 a couple of weeks ago (buy it now) and that's about average based on others I've watched.

Anyone else agree or disagree? As a seller more than a buyer these days (bit too much in the stash!) its useful to know

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Many bidders doing something else (family) on Sundays might account for it. Note that I set my snipe (the only way to bid) to my max days ahead of the auction's end, when the torpedo hits and the smoke and flames die down, I will czech my email and find out whetheer or not I need to send some tokens to someone.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I have been convinced for some time that auctions ending on Sunday afternoon and evening end up selling for less than par. An example today a 7mm Heljan wagon, used but as new condition, retailing new at c£70, sold for £32. I sold an identical one for £49 a couple of weeks ago (buy it now) and that's about average based on others I've watched.

Anyone else agree or disagree? As a seller more than a buyer these days (bit too much in the stash!) its useful to know

Sunday Evenings (between 7 and 9pm, apparently) always used to be a "good time" to end an auction for some reason (less people down the pub?) and better than, say, a Monday.

evening.  Tues/Wed/Thurs are also supposedly reasonable, but not mon, fri or sat....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I still end my listings between 5pm & 7pm on Sundays, always was prime time and still seems to attract last second bidders. Also Mondays is always a good time to post for me. As a buyer I tend to get best buys (cheapest) when others are at work.

If you have a good item, well presented and priced competitively it will sell,

I list my items at the minimum I am happy to accept, if I get more its a bonus. Sometimes it may take 3 or 4 weeks to get the price I want, but I am in no rush. Only on very rare occasions do I either accept a lower price or reduce an item, 80/90% of my sales I get more than the starting price. A couple of times after getting what I saw as an insulting offer I increased the starting price when relisting, both times they sold at the next auction. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I still end my listings between 5pm & 7pm on Sundays, always was prime time and still seems to attract last second bidders. Also Mondays is always a good time to post for me. As a buyer I tend to get best buys (cheapest) when others are at work.

If you have a good item, well presented and priced competitively it will sell,

I list my items at the minimum I am happy to accept, if I get more its a bonus. Sometimes it may take 3 or 4 weeks to get the price I want, but I am in no rush. Only on very rare occasions do I either accept a lower price or reduce an item, 80/90% of my sales I get more than the starting price. A couple of times after getting what I saw as an insulting offer I increased the starting price when relisting, both times they sold at the next auction. 

I'm mostly selling off things I've bought, often untouched (!) and usually after extensive watching in the first place - so I have a fair idea of price and have found it surprisingly easy to get that with buy it now, so I havent used auctions for a while. As you say I'm in no rush, take good photos and you can tell if the price is about right as you get a decent conversion of views to watchers. Once you have interest then its just a matter of patience!

I have bought a number of things on Sundays recently at far less than others I had been watching, although admittedly I'm happy to restore a lousy paint job so maybe I'm underestimating the impact that has had. Also may be a case that one too many has been sold recently.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1