Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

13 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

It came on at £30 with buy it now offer, so a cheeky offer went in and it was accepted. The body needs to come to bits, I have my suspicions on the frames,  but you could not buy the bits for that price!

I had a punt on an etched brass pannier chassis with a set of insulated Romford wheels, as a new set of Markit 18mm drivers cost about £45 with axles and crankpins I thought my £22 inc postage was safe (you never have enough 18mm Romford/Markit wheels, the chassis being an unexpected extra if any good

It arrived today, on the face of it a badly put together chassis. all it needs is a complete strip down and rebuild, then add some brake gear. The chassis looks to be a Perseverance pannier, rear hornblocks soldered solid center one has a form of spring. I have a K's Pannier waiting in the wings for the chassis and some Mainly trains brake gear frets 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, hayfield said:

I price up models that look a bit iffy the same way, what are the extras worth if the main part is a wreck

I could not let a nicely part built Southeastern Finecast A4 pass, for less than the set of the cost of the Markit drivers. Under £40. the main kit is unpainted with nice clean castings, looks complete but if I have to buy half a dozen castings I am still well in pocket

I had seen the A4 but have so many others did not think it worth bothering, you did well there

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I had seen the A4 but have so many others did not think it worth bothering, you did well there

Thanks

I love the A4 loco but really have no use for it, unless I operate my version of Bodmin in EM as a preserved line, then it can visit plus be OK in one of the rarer liveries 

Again with this loco I looked at the bottom line, if I had to sell the kit what is there of value for me ? Well there are £45 worth of drivers, but I will look into the various LNER livery options and finish it off in EM gauge. I must get/make a show case

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 09:28, hayfield said:

I had a punt on an etched brass pannier chassis with a set of insulated Romford wheels, as a new set of Markit 18mm drivers cost about £45 with axles and crankpins I thought my £22 inc postage was safe (you never have enough 18mm Romford/Markit wheels, the chassis being an unexpected extra if any good

It arrived today, on the face of it a badly put together chassis. all it needs is a complete strip down and rebuild, then add some brake gear. The chassis looks to be a Perseverance pannier, rear hornblocks soldered solid center one has a form of spring. I have a K's Pannier waiting in the wings for the chassis and some Mainly trains brake gear frets 

On further inspection, the Perseverance Pannier chassis despite being built with 00 gauge spacers it has EM gauge axles (without any spacing washers) which rely on the electrical contacts/wipers to maintain wheel alignment. No wonder it runs so badly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2020 at 22:17, Craigw said:

It was not dirt cheap, but it really is a bargain in my opinion.

4mm scale to P4 standards Judith Edge kit built Kitson LMS  0-4-0.

The build quality is excellent and it runs beautifully.

The post behaved too and it arrived in Australia in 9 days which is quite amazing.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E0934.JPG

What a B&O "Docksider" would look like if it were built in England! :biggrin_mini::jester:

The B&O:

1913521231_BO0-4-0-005.JPG.c9de3ec0a9debb1e5caf70f104a62049.JPG

BTW, I like the little guy that you posted.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, hayfield said:

On further inspection, the Perseverance Pannier chassis despite being built with 00 gauge spacers it has EM gauge axles (without any spacing washers) which rely on the electrical contacts/wipers to maintain wheel alignment. No wonder it runs so badly

Hoping yesterday morning I found another Pannier tank gem for under £30 including postage

Certainly a badly presented item described as a new Hornby Tank engine "Kit" The first of 2 photos was a badly taken one of a Hornby open cab pannier body which was out of focus,

The second photo showed the loco body, etched chassis and 24 packets of spares, half of which are Alan Gibson, again out of focus and half cannot be seen as placed face down.

The description is little better as states 1024 motor (only the label just visible)  2 pairs of Gibson drivers and 3 pairs of Gibson bogie/tender wheels.

I could also see a Multi box gearbox and a motor mount, Gibson crankpins and Buffers, Hornblocks

Well 24 packs must be worth something

As it happens I had a punt on a second lot with I think 2 x 94xx chassis and a very sought after motor and gearbox, but depends on if the motor is working!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/09/2020 at 13:22, hayfield said:

On 28/09/2020 at 09:03, hayfield said:

Hoping yesterday morning I found another Pannier tank gem for under £30 including postage

Certainly a badly presented item described as a new Hornby Tank engine "Kit" The first of 2 photos was a badly taken one of a Hornby open cab pannier body which was out of focus,

The second photo showed the loco body, etched chassis and 24 packets of spares, half of which are Alan Gibson, again out of focus and half cannot be seen as placed face down.

The description is little better as states 1024 motor (only the label just visible)  2 pairs of Gibson drivers and 3 pairs of Gibson bogie/tender wheels.

I could also see a Multi box gearbox and a motor mount, Gibson crankpins and Buffers, Hornblocks

Well 24 packs must be worth something

As it happens I had a punt on a second lot with I think 2 x 94xx chassis and a very sought after motor and gearbox, but depends on if the motor is working!!

Well I have had a couple of good weeks with Pannier chassis, going back to the first one its not a 57xx as whilst being the correct wheelbase It matches a 16xx in length, its also not a bad fit for a Wills1854 class, but needs a rebuild

A few days ago I received the first lot I won comprising two Perseverance 94xx chassis (both with hornblocks), a set of Gibson 18 mm wheels, a RG4 and a Lima body 

One chassis is built but missing coupling rods (I have a spare set) but the RG4 gears were stiff and not meshing. Today I took the gearbox apart cleaned it and rebuilt it. Now runs like a RG4 should. The whole lot cost me £62 inc postage, I knew the chassis were worth that, so the wheels and motor were an added bonus, now the motor is working well I am very pleased

The last lot I bought on Sunday finally arrived today, Hornby open cab body, Perseverance 57xx compensated chassis kit and just over 20 packets of spares, including Branchlines 1024 motor, gears and flywheel, 2 sets of Gibson  Drivers and 3 sets of Gibson Bogie/pony wheels. lors of other useful packets of spares Hornblocks, castings etc well spent £28. Must make a start on some of those panniers now, though the RG4 will go in something a bit better

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Opps, just got an assembled DJH class 4 4-6-0 built and lined for £24 . The pictures show the return crank is not connected, but does not look to bad. 

The W arrived in the week and is better built that I could have hoped for a very good value buy.

Also got what was hopefully 3 kits in one, of a T9, Ivatt 2mt and L&Y 0-6-0 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2020 at 03:17, Craigw said:

It was not dirt cheap, but it really is a bargain in my opinion.

4mm scale to P4 standards Judith Edge kit built Kitson LMS  0-4-0.

The build quality is excellent and it runs beautifully.

The post behaved too and it arrived in Australia in 9 days which is quite amazing.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E0934.JPG

Does it have to be dismantled to paint the chassis? I only ask because I'm currently building a Bandai 1/16 road roller, and have painted most of it whilst it is still on the sprues, touching up as I take lumps off the sprues and file the bits off. This looks like a lot of effort to paint it properly. Am  missing something?

• Like 1

Not actually eBay but the local model shop. A built Slaters all 3rd clearstory coach for £8. Its a bit trier as some glazing and passengers have come loose, one bogie footboard missing and two loose, one bogie off center

A bit of scrap etch will sort the footboard out, the roof is a loose fit so easy internal fixes. Biggest job sorting out the bogie fixing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly not as spectacular as some buys. A joblot of whitemetal 'parts' was actually two complete ABS Rectank wagons plus another 4 sets of bogies, including an 'American' pair I've been meaning to get for a while!

£15 + postage....result! :)

• Like 5

Just managed to pick up the fully detailed version of 'Cock o'the North' for £100 delivered. Considering that the design clever railroad version can fetch damn close to that price, i consider that a very good buy indeed

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I got what was labelled as a T9  Falcon Brass kit was actually 3 kits, an Ivatt 2-6-0 and L&Y class 27 so as only the first is wanted the other two will get sold, once I have taken patterns on some of the L&Y parts for another set of etches which are missing some etched , and should cover the cost of the first, which only parts are wanted off for a conversion. 

• Like 2

Every now and then you come across both misdescribed or kits mixed up in multiple lots, at least twice in the past 6 months I have had to buy 2 or more lots where components were mixed up, in one case the seller listed 5 lots of what initially looked like spares, on close inspection even though the listing was extremely bad 3 or more of them had parts in common. I won the three I was most interested in, missed out on a fourth but as it happens the 2 lots I missed out on had no unique parts which were in the 3 lots I won.  Best of all I was able to reduce my acquisition costs greatly by selling on a few bits I had either no interest in or no use for.

I think someone else called this type of finds as once in a year finds, certainly most rewarding. Trouble is I am going to end the year with at least 6 small industrial loco kits to build which is a completely new area of interest to me. 

• Like 3

On 20/10/2020 at 22:41, Paul Cram said:

I recently got a pair of Ratio Midland coaches in lined LMS levery for £43.50 including postage. They came fitted with brassmaster compensated bogies. 20 minutes later they are running on P4 wheels.

Bargain! Or as I always say to my wife-look at the time it's saved.

You also have that sense of satisfaction too.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I picked up a collection of bits which included a part of a Crownline class 08 chassis kit which has enough bits left in it to replace missing bits of an Impetus class 08 chassis and came with 2 sets of wheels a Mashima motor and high level gear box, various craftsman and A1 models Deltic kits, 4 A1 models class 22 kits some DC kits dmu detailing kits, a Shawplan Class 50 detailing kit, a class 16 kit which has bits missing but might form part of a LMS 10800 kit if I can scratch build some of the bits needed and a perseverance chassis kit for an 03,all for £60.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rka said:

I picked up a collection of bits which included a part of a Crownline class 08 chassis kit which has enough bits left in it to replace missing bits of an Impetus class 08 chassis and came with 2 sets of wheels a Mashima motor and high level gear box, various craftsman and A1 models Deltic kits, 4 A1 models class 22 kits some DC kits dmu detailing kits, a Shawplan Class 50 detailing kit, a class 16 kit which has bits missing but might form part of a LMS 10800 kit if I can scratch build some of the bits needed and a perseverance chassis kit for an 03,all for £60.

One can go off people!

Mike.

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, rka said:

Man after my own heart, the wheels alone cover the cost let alone the motor and gearbox. In the past I have bought incomplete chassis kits and providing you have the mainframes, spares can be found from the likes ao Alan Gibson, Wizard models/Mainly Trains/Comet and plenty of other companies will to sell spares, Good spot

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, rka said:

Result!

• Like 2