Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Premium

Managed the opposite of a good deal. Bought a PDK D15 at a reasonable amount less then the new price. However things quickly went wrong as I had not paid in 24 hours the seller did an unpaid case (you are not allowed to not look for a day) then blocked me so I could not communicate with them, It turned up today, missing chimney, smokebox door, bearings, handrail knobs and had a totally different tender to the picture. Had to go to Ebay to help and rather than just getting a partial refund  they want me to return it. Now my concern is that as I asked for a £20 refund they will try to get the whole thing back and just give me £20 back!  - I would advise avoiding  bargainbuses4u

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274573934548?ul_noapp=true

I don't think that this one will appear here as a Good Buy !!

John Isherwood.

Depends how desperately someone might want one. The seller did achieve a bid which I’d guess was more than this for one of the other Impetus kits he was selling a few weeks ago. 

This one didn’t sell at the previous listing price of £275 so maybe not on anyone’s “must have” list at that price.

• Like 1

Really rather pleased with a mixed bag of 11 OO gauge Bachmann wagons for £31.02 including postage.

The plan is to use them to practice my weathering skills and at less than £3 a wagon not a lot to lose.

16056927263113492497035926507390.jpg.9bead4c74666274ca715a9d6fdba4c6a.jpg

Edited by coastalview
  • Like 6

I try to be very strict with my bidding limits as it is so easy to get carried away. This frequently means that I miss things. I would agree with you about the prices some things go for it is eye watering.

I was really pleased with the wagons as they are in excellent condition. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coastalview said:

I try to be very strict with my bidding limits as it is so easy to get carried away. This frequently means that I miss things. I would agree with you about the prices some things go for it is eye watering.

I was really pleased with the wagons as they are in excellent condition. 

This is something which I think I have practiced ever since joining eBay. Initially I was looking for items I wanted at a very cheap price, over time I have refined this by willing to pay more for better quality items and  whilst always on the lookout for a bargain, I like to think I am a bit more discerning. The main issue is now is that the items I am now after are to start with at the dearer end. This is probably a bad example and at the extreme end 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJH-Made-Up-Kit-Br-U1-Class-2-6-0-4000g-Tender-/174518343200?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Probably a bit more realistic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Wills-Finecast-Br-Wainwright-R1-0-6-0t-/174519650439?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I picked up one of the DJH U1's by accident in a mixed lot for virtually nothing, paint work needs a touch up, one buffer bean reattaching. the biggest job being replacing the k's HP2M motor and gears, but as I said it was hidden away in a job lot and could even be described as a freeby

The R1 is something I want and will probably have to buy new, but not knowing what the motor is plus needing an EM chassis rebuild way over what its worth to me

As I said its silly season at the moment so meager pickins

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not a good buy as such but a just as nice a feeling is when you forget the end of an auction for something that was still at a very attractive level with a few hours to go, check and it ended up rocketing way over what you can still buy the item for new. Saved some cash and Ive missed the annoyance that would have caused had i been waiting to bid!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Recently I have found that lots of items that have been of interest to me have sold at prices very much higher than I was prepared to pay. Either lockdown and or Christmas

Surprisingly I have found an unbuilt Langley Scammell Scarab and Cotswold Bristol single deck bus, the former just under £8 + postage the latter just over £5 + postage. Both are 4mm and whitemetal kits

I went to school opposite the Scammell factory and whenever I look at older whitemetal busses they tend to sell for silly prices

Also recently bought a couple of job lots of kit built locos recently, seems to be the best way of buying at this moment, selling off unwanted items. Recently found an old McGowan GCR 0-6-2T

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 09:35, hayfield said:

Recently I have found that lots of items that have been of interest to me have sold at prices very much higher than I was prepared to pay. Either lockdown and or Christmas

Surprisingly I have found an unbuilt Langley Scammell Scarab and Cotswold Bristol single deck bus, the former just under £8 + postage the latter just over £5 + postage. Both are 4mm and whitemetal kits

I went to school opposite the Scammell factory and whenever I look at older whitemetal busses they tend to sell for silly prices

Also recently bought a couple of job lots of kit built locos recently, seems to be the best way of buying at this moment, selling off unwanted items. Recently found an old McGowan GCR 0-6-2T

N5 by chance?

• Like 1

I spotted a couple of Whitemetal kits both chassis-less a GEM MR/LMS class 2 which I was not interested in and what I guessed was a GCR 9C/LNER N2. Both arrived today and are fine Cost me £42 inc postage and I guess I can resell the 4-4-0 for at least £20 so the 9C/N2 cost me in the region of just over £20

I started doing a bit of searching and looks a bit like the McGowan model, I started looking for a chassis and Alan Gibson does some frames but could not see anything else, going back to my W&H book reveals it was designed to use the Triang/Hornby Jinty chassis, job done as I have a couple of Wills/SEF etched chassis kits spare. It was missing a front footstep, thankfully my spares box came to the rescue. However what I forgot until the seller got back to me is there should have also been a chassis, its in the post

• Like 4

A great eBay auction win. This is a Hornby R2300 Bournemouth Belle Train Pack from about 2005. There are currently half a dozen on Ebay - all Buy it Now priced between £205 and £265. There is also one on auction with a starting bid of £185. Even the additional coach pack R4169 - there are two on eBay are priced at £129 and £197.  The auction I won started at £32 - a quick bid to sort the men from the boys, and then over a few days, some carefully placed bids - I won the auction and paid £121.00. Looking at other items the seller was selling, it was all clothing - no model railway related items.
I would add it was described as "new", and on close examination, it is, even the box has no shelf wear at all - and a small price sticker saying £129.00. I'm very pleased with this "win".

50682387741_421141a628_k.jpgIMG_0794 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
amendment
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

A great eBay auction win. This is a Hornby R2300 Bournemouth Belle Train Pack from about 2005. There are currently half a dozen on Ebay - all Buy it Now priced between £205 and £265. There is also one on auction with a starting bid of £185. Even the additional coach pack R4169 - there are two on eBay are priced at £129 and £197.  The auction I won started at £32 - a quick bid to sort the men from the boys, and then over a few days, some carefully placed bids - I won the auction and paid £121.00. Looking at other items the seller was selling, it was all clothing - no model railway related items.
I would add it was described as "new", and on close examination, it is, even the box has no shelf wear at all - and a small price sticker saying £129.00. I'm very pleased with this "win".

50682387741_421141a628_k.jpgIMG_0794 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

I think most of the best buys are from non railway modellers / model train collectors. Perhaps the £200+ ones are still on eBay is they are over priced, but then I am not into collecting RTR models. They certainly look to be nigh on mint if not in mint condition, which I am led to believe is what you need when collecting

• Like 1

I was a collector, but managed to build a layout a few years ago ("Wykeham - Somewhere in the South" on the Model Railway Forum). I am a great fan of Bulleid Pacifics, hence my "handle".  I currently have twenty seven Hornby  Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class locomotives - I am aware that it is not possible to get perfect rename/numbering done with the variation in tenders, but that does not concern me to much. My collection is based on loco's as they were in 1961, so try to buy loco's with the correct Shed Code before renaming. Hornby have never produced a rebuilt loco that was shedded in Salisbury in 1961  - Cunard White Star, Peninsular & Oriental and Aberdeen Commonwealth.

A few more eBay purchases for the full set:D

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Possibly an upcoming bargain for someone?  A poorly described 'kit built loco' from an auctioneer.  It's actually mass produced in a limited run by OO Works (200 pieces?)  My Southern recognition isn't that great but I believe it's a C Class? Currently £50 + p/p though of course Bachmann now do rtr.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-00-Train/174553712684?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dd4bf7f0c07a3424c9f8e855aaa57086e%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D353310307512%26itm%3D174553712684%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Possibly an upcoming bargain for someone?  A poorly described 'kit built loco' from an auctioneer.  It's actually mass produced in a limited run by OO Works (200 pieces?)  My Southern recognition isn't that great but I believe it's a C Class? Currently £50 + p/p though of course Bachmann now do rtr.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-00-Train/174553712684?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dd4bf7f0c07a3424c9f8e855aaa57086e%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D353310307512%26itm%3D174553712684%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Yes, saw that one too....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, big jim said:

Nice little buy it now last night, Bachmann collectors club 03 in WAGN livery, £67

017410E7-3A91-474D-9E33-01658D8430EC.jpeg.9bde18030dedf550906ea434d1d1af28.jpeg

Does the sound version play a musical-box version of 'Greensleeves', and does the driver have a white coat?

I can't see the 'Mind that child' sign, either!

John Isherwood.

• Funny 6

I was very fortunate to buy this DJH BR Class 3, it was sold as needing a new motor. A DS10 came with the loco, but as said is dead

237.jpeg.5ecb5b6ed6cfd8d3e62b25ee4af4dc64.jpeg238.jpeg.2452e9c835aadf3584fd384f6604894f.jpeg

Its been absolutely superb both in build and finish and only cost me £30 inc postage. The wheels feel slightly stiff but it may just be lack of oil

239.jpeg.401d5891f3d119d9aeb4356a16257323.jpeg

I have not removed the chassis from the body yet, but I am assuming its a motor mount rather than a gearbox. I don't model BR era but I love big tank locos, also its to 00 gauge and I am a bit worried about trying to convert it to EM gauge. I do have a DJH Class 4 to build so this one will start out being built to EM gauge as DJH its seem to be designed for 00 gauge

As for the motor & gearbox, I have 2 DJH gearboxes (GB1's, one with a D11 I think the other accepts a Mashima) but I may use one of the High Level motors (RoadRunner or Slimline+)

Still I am a BR tank lover, something I would had not said 6 mths ago

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I have bought a nice kit built loco I put in an offer of £40 (inc postage) which was accepted, the chap wanted £50 inc postage, the bid was based on the chassis. Its a Wills Finecast SR E5, its been heavily weathered, stated as EM gauge, looks to have either Gibson or Ultrascale wheels and a 1024 motor. Stated as untested and incorrect chassis, but its seems to be the correct chassis only missing a trailing bogie. The body has a bit of extra detail so it would be nice to keep it, if only as a build guide for a couple of unbuilt ones I have

The chassis is the most important element, as the chassis, wheels, motor and gears, to me are the real value, the bogie is easy to replace ( I have one I can copy) If I can clean the body up paint wise I have a readily available EM gauge loco.

I do have 4 of these and it will allow me to either move on one or two, or get some value back from the resale of the body.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2020 at 21:21, big jim said:

Nice little buy it now last night, Bachmann collectors club 03 in WAGN livery, £67

017410E7-3A91-474D-9E33-01658D8430EC.jpeg.9bde18030dedf550906ea434d1d1af28.jpeg

had a bit of a panic about this loco, what with Christmas i’d forgotten all about it, then yesterday I suddenly remembered and looked on eBay, checked the tracking and it said it had been delivered and signed for, sure enough it had but not my signature as I was in work on the date and time it was supposedly delivered 

I feared the worst that the postman had put it in the recycling bin, which had since been emptied , then I remembered I’ve got a ring video doorbell, had a look on the app and sure enough at the time and date it was signed for the postman is seen arriving with the parcel and then after getting no answer going round the back of my house and coming back without the parcel, so out I went yesterday and sure enough in another secure location there was the parcel, undamaged!

thank heavens for the ring doorbell 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 5