BR Shunters

Pardon me if this is in the wrong place, but:

Out of 14 shunter classes, 6 made it to the TOPS era. These classes were: 03, 06, 07, 08, 09, 13.

However, there are reams of shunters which worked on BR, especially in the late 50s/ early 60s, but were withdrawn by 1970. Then, WHY is there a dearth of virtually every kind of shunter? The Manufacturers complain that they are "Scraping the bottom of the barrel" in terms of Main-line locos to produce. The world of shunters is still, even in 2012, when we have such diverse RTR models such as the class 419 MLV, and the Class 16, which quite frankly, probably wouldn't have been envisaged as a RTR model, a largely untapped vein of models. Many people model in the 50s/60s, and even in the 70s/80s, so it would make sense for the Manufacturers to produce these models. after all, they could probably make a fair bit of money off the back of it, providing they reflect the model with a sensible, down to earth price. So come on Manufacturers, Give us some shunters, Please!

Tops era: classes 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 13.

So far, TWO have been done.

And the same in 7mm, unless you count the awful Lima Class 02, and the long lamented MMP Classes 02 and 07.

There are KITS of course.........

I make it 4 available RTR in 00, 03 from Bachmann, 06 from Hornby ( yes I know it's not great )and 08 + 09 from both plus the 04 for those who like thier diesels D prefixed.

i can't see anyone bothering to make the 13's RTR, being as there arn't many of us with the space to model Tinsley, 10's and 11's look so similar to 08/09's that it would be a brave manufacturer who wouldn't just renumber whats already in thier range.

It would be nice to see Bachmann adjust thier model of 'salty' to a proper 07 but while we're waiting we can always have a go ourselves.

..., 10's and 11's look so similar to 08/09's that it would be a brave manufacturer who wouldn't just renumber whats already in thier range.

Class 10 perhaps, as it's essentially a Blackstone-engined 08; ditto with the didn't-reach-TOPS Crossley-engined batch of 350s. But an 11 is very different - most significantly, it has smaller wheels and a flatter cab roof profile.

• RMweb Premium

Shunters simply aren't glamorous enough to tempt the mainstream manufacturers.

Apart from 03/04/08/09 they were built in limited numbers and often with variations across the numerically small fleets. North British 0-4-0's are a prime example. The smaller shunter fleets also tended to be fairly localised in operational area and choice of liveries - black/green/green and wasp stripes.

Even the 05, of which I think there were 70 built, had at least three major variants of body/cab.

Cheers,

Mick

Shunters simply aren't glamorous enough to tempt the mainstream manufacturers.

Apart from 03/04/08/09 they were built in limited numbers and often with variations across the numerically small fleets. North British 0-4-0's are a prime example. The smaller shunter fleets also tended to be fairly localised in operational area and choice of liveries - black/green/green and wasp stripes.

All good points Mick, and I'll chuck in another one - there would be an expectation that a small loco should sell for a small price, regardless of what development costs or sales prospects were.

Archived