Please recommend me good GWR books.

OnTheBranchline

If you can manage to get them,go for Great Western Branch Line Modelling vols 1-3 by Stephen Williams,published by Wild Swan.Out of print at present but maybe available on Amazon or Ebay.Worth searching for as they'll give you nearly all the info you need.Vol 3 is probably the least essential as it deals primarily with the modelling side and as such some of the info is a bit out of date.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The Russell books on locos, coaches and wagons are very useful for reference photos of rolling stock, can be a bit pricy but through eBay and railway book shops I didn't have to spend too much on my set (which reminds me I must get on and order the Russell wagon book.

Great Western Way: Any edition, but the latest much revised edition is much larger and provides far more detail, particularly for the pre-grouping companies that were absorbed.

GWR Wagons, Atkins et al: More useful than the Russell books when it comes to freight stock. The third edition is a huge volume but usually prohibitively expensive - if you can find one. The first edition or second, combined volume, are far more common and should be enough for most peoples needs.

The old 'Bradford Barton' GW Steam photo albums are still fairly cheap and plentiful... first published in the 70s with reprints following in some cases, they cover branch lines, mainlines, sheds, different parts of the GWR / Western Region etc, with almost thirty volumes to choose from. Prices start at around £2 and go up to around £10 depending on where you find them. Worth every penny!

The Ian Allan colour portfolio series on GW subjects are worth a punt too, particularly the Peter Gray and Derek Penney ones.... easily available too.

Dive in and enjoy ;)

Here is a good list:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nolitt.html

For an overview of coaching stock, I'd suggest the Harris book if you can find it. The Russell volumes are great if you are modelling coaches, but Harris covers history and construction, and has the lot list.

If you are interested in trains of the 1930s (particularly passenger), the two volumes of The Great Western Railway in the 1930s have some wonderful pictures and great supporting information.

Both are still available from David Geen http://www.davidgeen.co.uk/catalogue/additionalitems.htm

Adrian

If you can manage to get them,go for Great Western Branch Line Modelling vols 1-3 by Stephen Williams,published by Wild Swan.Out of print at present but maybe available on Amazon or Ebay.Worth searching for as they'll give you nearly all the info you need.Vol 3 is probably the least essential as it deals primarily with the modelling side and as such some of the info is a bit out of date.

I checked Amazon.uk for a used copy, and found one for... *wait for it* ...USD 316.89!

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Western-Branch-Line-Modelling/dp/1874103135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339606955&sr=8-1&keywords=great+western+branch+line+modeling

Regards, Hawk

• RMweb Gold

RCTS titles also come up on ebay on several loco classes.I bought No8 which is the two cylinder classes incuding the 45xx,42xx and 72xx.Ideal for the latest Hornby releases.

Jamie

As a relative newbie to GWR modelling myself (and a foreigner to boot) I would second this suggestion.

Several are available on ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Great+Western+Branch+Line+Modelling&_sacat=See-All-Categories for, at this moment at least, less then 316 USD....

Sierd Jan

• 2 months later...

I am slowly building up my book collection and the GWR titles that I have found particularly useful are:

• History of the Great Western Railway by Peter Semmens (3 volumes covering 1923-1948)
  • Odd Corners of the GWR and More Odd Corners of the GWR by Kevin Robertson (looks at the more unusal things such as camping coaches, weedkilling trains and accidents and ATC)
  • Great Western Branch Line Termini by Paul Karau (2 volumes, I have only Vol 1, which contains photographs, track plans and plans of the stations at Fairford, Lambourn, Tetbury, Watlington and Wallingford)
  • An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations by R.H.Clark (4 volumes which contain track plans, signal box diagrams and a brief description of lots of the stations on the GWR network)
  • GWR Country Stations by Chris Leigh (2 volumes, a good photographic guide to the differing architectural styles used by the GWR and also useful photos of other station infrastructure like signs, goods sheds etc)
  • Modelling the Great Western Railway by Silver Link Publishing

These are good general books about the GWR. More specific books to particular lines can be found and the Middleton Press "Western Main Lines", "Country Railway Routes" and "Branch Lines" series are a good place start if you know the line/station you want to model.

All the best ones are out of print and some are really extortionate. Why the publisher's don't get off their proverbial and do some reprinting I really don't know. Some would sell out overnight at the more realistic cover price. These are all important reference books mostly some of considerable merit.

Note to self: Must re-estimate the price of my library for insurance ...

As "inspiration" books, the GWR 150 book by Pat Whitehouse and David St. John Thomas (which is an all-round book in that whilst it has a couple of drawings - including scale track plans of Padd, Temple Meads and Snow Hill, it also has a complete set of allocations for 31/12/1947, plenty of anecdotes and lots of inspirational photos). There was also a book of paintings released around the same time with similar (mostly) inspirational views.

• RMweb Gold

I agree that the OPC surveys mentioned in post 13 are excellent for track layouts, the trilogy of wild swan books (post 2 ) for modelling ideas and the square green Bradford Barton albums (post 6) are great for pictures and can be bought cheaply from most preserved railway second hand book departments.

My contribution to your shopping list is Great Western Railway: A New History by Frank Booker. Currently available used very cheap (less than £3) on amazon and it's an excellent, readable potted history of the GWR as an entity

As others have said, if you have a specific line or area you are interested in, a google search will reveal more specific books on virtually every line - my favourite for example being the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway for which I have no less than 6 books specifically about that line alone!

• 5 weeks later...

Recently released is Irwell Press's Paddington to Weymouth - the route in the 1950s by Derek Phillips. Ever-so-slightly steep at just under £25, but has plenty of OS maps from the decade, and is stuffed to the gunwales with very useful photos showing the general layout of things as they were.

I bought it because I have a personal interest in Weymouth anyway; the book has two fascinating chapters on the town itself plus the Weymouth Quay tramway.

Lashings of post-war fun.

• RMweb Gold

Just a little prod to the OP, you have not "liked" any of the responses from fellow members or put any form of reply on since you started this post three months ago. Several people have made efforts to help you with your enquiry - it woud be nice to be acknowledged / thanked.

• Administrators

If you want a very readable history of the GWR, the Andrew Roden has writen one. I reviewed it on my blog:

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/book-review-great-western-railway_15.html

While it won't help with modelling details, it's a very enjoyable read with plenty of pace. It will give you an idea how the company fitted into the wider world and sort out the "big picture" stuff such as how things changed, or didn't, under BR. To be honest, read it 'cos it's a good read.

Phil

Hi Guys,

Still roughly on topic I am after any books that deals solely with GWR track and station plans, I model in the 50's era as I am still not sure whether to design my own layout or go for an actual location.

Any help would be most appreciated,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Still roughly on topic I am after any books that deals solely with GWR track and station plans, I model in the 50's era as I am still not sure whether to design my own layout or go for an actual location.

Martyn.

Theres a series from Tony Cooke who does quite a few books on the GWR system.Plenty of choice Martyn !

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?&section=Track%20Plans

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Martyn.

An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations by R.H.Clark (4 volumes which contain track plans, signal box diagrams and a brief description of lots of the stations on the GWR network)

Cheers Rob & Colin,

Thanks for the prompt replys that certainly gives me plenty of choice, there is one area around Ledbury that I would like to study in more detail but the Tony Cooke book on that area appears to be sold out, so maybe I will have a quick look on Abe books or Ebay.

Thanks once again,

Martyn.

Archived