Metrolink now running to Oldham

Savoyard

Thanks for the pics Peter.

Last time I was at Hollinwood, was as a student engineer at the Ferranti training centre and then latterly working in the transformer tapchanger control section. Oldham Mumps was also the start of the journey home on a Friday as we were on day release at Oldham Tech and I had to leg it to catch the train or wait for an hour.

Cheers,

Mick

Now there is a name from the past with history. 1st viable computer ( Ferranti 1 ), transformers designed to last, even made televisions and electric meters.

Did you work with high voltage transformers at Hollinwood if so drawing office or consruction , my old fella worked there from early 1950s till the 80's in the drawing office and then the training school at moston .

Rakes of coaches in blood & custard were stored in sidings adjacent to Hollinwood Station and 1937 Stanier 'Coronation Scot' coacheswere a sight to behold in 1959. On the road side, boatload's of buses were sent down to Ferranti's at teatime and as the Inspectors knew how much each bus would hold, they used to count out a decker load of workers at the bus stops to speed up loading. Then it was 4-bells and we were off! I won't say happy days...

• RMweb Premium

Now there is a name from the past with history. 1st viable computer ( Ferranti 1 ), transformers designed to last, even made televisions and electric meters.

Did you work with high voltage transformers at Hollinwood if so drawing office or consruction , my old fella worked there from early 1950s till the 80's in the drawing office and then the training school at moston .

Apologies for going OT. I was only in the tapchanger control department for about 15 months - 110v systems primarily and learnt a huge amount about relay logic - the HV stuff scared the life out of me! Does the D in your name stand for "Davies"? My immediate boss was Mike Davies.

Cheers,

Mick

Two pics taken today and one in August 1999 at Oldham Mumps, after a ride for old times sake from Manchester Vic, what a change at Mumps, and all the way from Victoria.

All nice and modern and quiet, but missed the thrill and excitment of tearing up and down from Werneth with the good old 142's ( yes, madness sets in when you reach a certain age ! )

post-6977-0-45356100-1341509014.jpg

post-6977-0-01187500-1341509031.jpg

Tom, secure in straight jacket.

On the other hand, I was delivering in Droylsden yesterday morning and talking to one of the warehouse chaps, he said most people in Droylsden were fed up with the Metro-link.. They have had the main road in Droylsden dug up for about 2 years though... And he says it'll still be cheaper and faster on the train... or the bus that runs along the same route...

0400 is the best time to go if you're intrigued about how tramways are laid though, no traffic so plenty of opportunities to have a good nose :)

That's an interesting comment because Droylsden railway station closed in 1968! Other stations nearby aren't very well sited and only have a few trains an hour so while it may be quicker if you are starting from the right place at the right time, that won't apply to many.

I took a ride on the 216 bus out as far as Ashton Moss a couple of weeks ago. It took about half an hour at 1000, a lot of this being waiting at lights on the section the tramway bypasses off-street. Some of the rest was of course due to tramway roadworks!

John

I think you don't do Feranti's justice - computers yes continuing up until the 1990's .Gyroscopes (military and civil aviation) Fuzes (munitions) Electronics, Valves and Transistors through to Integrated Circuits. Domestic Appliances (electric clocks and fires)

Bloodhound Missile (Gyros, electronics and electro-mechanical guidance equipment plus all the ground control and test equipment) They manufactured and assembled all their own printed circuit boards & gear boxes etc: Plus Naval Tactical control equipment. And all that was just in the Manchester/Hollinwood/Moston/Oldham area. Thats without the Bracknell ,Edinburgh etc products which were also significant)

Guess where I worked for nearly 40 Years ?

That's an interesting comment because Droylsden railway station closed in 1968! Other stations nearby aren't very well sited and only have a few trains an hour so while it may be quicker if you are starting from the right place at the right time, that won't apply to many.

I took a ride on the 216 bus out as far as Ashton Moss a couple of weeks ago. It took about half an hour at 1000, a lot of this being waiting at lights on the section the tramway bypasses off-street. Some of the rest was of course due to tramway roadworks!

Hmm, wonder where he was referring to then...? :scratchhead:

• 3 months later...

Spotted a test tram at Milnrow today, looks like the Oldham to Rochdale station section might become operational soon. About time too the track has been laid for months and the overhead wires have been completed, supposedly they went live at the end of July, although I have seen work being done after that date. Most of the stations seem complete from what I have seen, at Milnrow the only thing missing is a bit of fencing here and there.

Richard

I'm told that test running has also commenced to East Didsbury in the last week or so. A guy I work with tells me that his friend lives near there and has seen M5000 series trams on test during the day. I haven't seen it personally but I am going to take a look myself soon.

Cheers Paul

John

I think you don't do Feranti's justice - computers yes continuing up until the 1990's .Gyroscopes (military and civil aviation) Fuzes (munitions) Electronics, Valves and Transistors through to Integrated Circuits. Domestic Appliances (electric clocks and fires)

Bloodhound Missile (Gyros, electronics and electro-mechanical guidance equipment plus all the ground control and test equipment) They manufactured and assembled all their own printed circuit boards & gear boxes etc: Plus Naval Tactical control equipment. And all that was just in the Manchester/Hollinwood/Moston/Oldham area. Thats without the Bracknell ,Edinburgh etc products which were also significant)

Guess where I worked for nearly 40 Years ?

And what about High Voltage Transformers and Van carriers both built at Hollinwood. Ferranti spelt with one R and you worked for them.

My father (now deceased ) worked for them from 1952 till about 1985. Starting in the Transformer drawing office. From what I remember ther was a man in the office who had a model shop as well in the failsworth area ( Bill Farmer ) I seem to recall. My first train sets probable bought from him.

I'm told that test running has also commenced to East Didsbury in the last week or so. A guy I work with tells me that his friend lives near there and has seen M5000 series trams on test during the day. I haven't seen it personally but I am going to take a look myself soon.

Cheers Paul

saw a new tram parked in the first station after piccadilly on the Ashton route the other night

on the subject of tram v train Ashton to vic 15 mins journey train ashton picc tram your looking at at least 40 mins know which i would choose !

also Rochdale -vic train 15-20 mins rochdale -vic tram minimum 40 mins no contest and remember train is cheaper both times .

saw a new tram parked in the first station after piccadilly on the Ashton route the other night

on the subject of tram v train Ashton to vic 15 mins journey train ashton picc tram your looking at at least 40 mins know which i would choose !

also Rochdale -vic train 15-20 mins rochdale -vic tram minimum 40 mins no contest and remember train is cheaper both times .

Where the train loses out though is frequency, If I have to nip into M/cr city centre nowadays during daytime (dentist etc) and use the train from Greenfield etc this can end up with an hours wait at Victoria, get the tram and it's that much easier. Not saying that'll be the case for everyone, but one train an hour from Ashton won't cut it with a lot of folk.

As a reasonably regular traveller to Manchester from Rochdale theres no way I will be using the tram during day evening trips, we are well blessed with heavy rail frequencies and thi is going to get better in the future as well. However where it will come into its own are the late night services which means if in an establishment like the Marble Arch, I can stay longer!

The tram which now seems to be permanently stabled at Milnrow is for route learning - apparently to save having to use the level crossing at Mumps continuosly its easier to keep one over our end of the line! We dont think its got as far as Rocdale yet, informed sources say its gone as far as the Newbold stop at Morrisons. Obviously to pick up the crews lunchtime sandwiches!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Trams having been running on test over Oldham Mumps crossing today (Thu 6/12/12) here are a few YouTube clips taken today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3qvmEHOV4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVcaQ2Dtjvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j3RR73FYrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_FMoA_nwc

Peter

Eeeeeekkk. It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at. Time moves on and it ain't the Mumps I left behind in 1965, nonetheless I didn't expect this. Thanks for posting. Must have a ride on these on our next holiday in sunny Oldham, as I've not done this route by tram since 1946..... :biggrin_mini2:

I believe there will be a short period when trams come out of service at Mumps but continue empty to Shaw & Crompton and back for driver training purposes, after which passenger service will extend to Shaw & Crompton.

For those that don't know, the track shown on the videos is approximately on the line of the railway over the Mumps roundabout (the Seton tubular bandage bridge) but both railway and roundabout have been removed and the trams now cross the replacement traffic signalled junction at about the original street level. This probably counts as one of Britain's shortest-lived tram tracks, as it is replaced in a couple of years time by the final route via Union Street.

At the STORM meeting earlier this week it was revealed that Shaw and Crompton would be open in February, but that us Rocdalians will be waiting until June before we can take the long way round to the city. It will have taken over two and a half years to convert it to light rail - someone should be penalised, and heavily.

Never mind, still happy with the heavy rail connection, despite Northern :no:

• RMweb Gold

For a period of time, I think it was about a week, prior to the opening of the line to Oldham Mumps all trams from St Wedburgh's countinued to and from Oldham Mumps without passengers from Manchester Victoria. Todays trams were not normal service trams extending to Shaw & Compton but were slotted in between service trams, so presumably this wasn't 'ghost' running prior to opening like the initial section to Oldham Mumps,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Trams were running across Mumps this evening (and possibly all day) at regular intervals, I observed several within the space of 30 mins from 2030 this evening, I took a few videos which I will upload to YouTube tomorrow

Peter

Archived