Ash's detaling/modifying thread

You mean the one from the Desiro? I think the pantograph is the same but the base would probably need modifying, would be worth getting hold of one to experiment with though!

Let me know if you find it,

Cheers

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I'm back with a few new bits to show.

95% finished is 43093 - a new Hornby HST power car renumbered from 43196. Also painted the roof dome yellow as per the prototype in the early days after it was repainted (it eventually lost the XC branding and yellow cab roof in around 1999). I have around 150 photos taken myself from the mid 90's and I got this power car both at York and Wakefield so it had to be this one. I say 95% finished because I need to get some 'Lady in Red' nameplates for it, going to wait until the York show to save on postage...

imag0983g.jpg

The characteristic HST streaks of oil down the bodyside was done with a 'stencil' made from paper and a light airbrushing of black
imag0988p.jpg

I picked out the dampers in white with a brush before applying the grime/brake dust to tone them down, again using photos as a guide
imag0982i.jpg

A peek into the cab, also you may notice a numberless 67 in the background - more on that in a second
imag0987i.jpg

A comparison between factory finish and weathered, I've gone for subtle but it still looks satisfyingly different
imag0991p.jpg

43162 is going to become a buffer fitted power car - I'm a bit nervous about chopping off it's nose so that's getting left for the time being. I need the Hurst models kit to come into stock first anyhow.

I've finally got hold of some EWS transfers and that's enabled me to renumber my skip - it wasn't as difficult as I thought with the bodyside ridges. Modelmasters decals are very tough and good quality - easily manipulated but stick in place once dried with a cotton bud. I applied a bit of decalfix to set them in place once I'd finished. So it's now 67019...

imag0993s.jpg

imag0995m.jpg

Looking forward to weathering it (once I've done the other side.....)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't 100% convinced it was an improvement to be honest, sure it gets rid of the horrid printed lights but now it has no lights at all... looks as if it's blind!

I want to draw up an etch for it to replace the entire front grille and light fitting but I'm struggling to find the time to learn how to do it properly and send it off to be done. I've got this far at the moment

img4012copy.jpg

The idea being that you remove the original grill, cut a hole out and then fold the top and bottom of the etch back on itself 90 degrees and slot it into the hole.

The HSTs look brilliant Ash, So does the 67.

Hurst Models might be a bit of a gamble to get parts. So why don't you (if time and funds permit) look out for some good seconhand NR or GCT HSTs that Hornby previously had. You can use those to get the one with buffers. Moreover you might have two rakes then. I might be costly repainting them also. But just a suggestion. There have been quite a few good offers lately on ebay. So snoop around.

About the Class 91 grill - seems to me that the Class 91 had a flat grill, I strongly recomend you try using sketchup. Since the only rounded edges are on the sides it'll be an easy build. If you give me the dimensions I'd be glad to do them for you. Sketchup is easy to use. I learnt all by myself after playing around woth shapes and tools. If you are still not fine with that Idea then PH Designs do custom etches.

Cheers!

Yes the Class 90 grill is totally different to the 91 grill, but the concept of what I'm trying to achieve with my own etch is the same as the PH designs Class 90 kit.

Jeremiah, I've drawn the one above in a freeware program called Inkscape, it's all layered etc but I sent it off to an etching company to evaluate and produce and they said there was a problem with it and to call between 9-3:30 to speak to someone, but due to work I haven't had chance to do this. I'll get it sorted at some point.

Regarding the HST, I might just scratchbuild the bufferbeam. It can't be that difficult, a couple of buffers mounted on some plasticard should do it. I just thought the kit would be an easier option and I needed a couple of other bits from Hurst but their stock never seems to change, been checking for weeks.

Yes the Class 90 grill is totally different to the 91 grill, but the concept of what I'm trying to achieve with my own etch is the same as the PH designs Class 90 kit.

Jeremiah, I've drawn the one above in a freeware program called Inkscape, it's all layered etc but I sent it off to an etching company to evaluate and produce and they said there was a problem with it and to call between 9-3:30 to speak to someone, but due to work I haven't had chance to do this. I'll get it sorted at some point.

Regarding the HST, I might just scratchbuild the bufferbeam. It can't be that difficult, a couple of buffers mounted on some plasticard should do it. I just thought the kit would be an easier option and I needed a couple of other bits from Hurst but their stock never seems to change, been checking for weeks.

I've been waiting for years for their pantograph kits to come into stock...

Scratch building would be easy. There isn't much detail on it. All the best with your mate. Looking forward to your progress.

I think you should pass on your idea about the 91 grill to Pete. He already doe the side frames for them so a new grill would sell well.

I could do it myself, I've already measured up and drawn up the front grill and side skirts (the PH ones are only correct for certain locos, if you look at them there are differences between locomotives on certain sides).

I'd want to be able to do all variations and also the front grill in the original black swallow style and the later stainless steel style, also for DVT's which are slightly different in shape.

I'd also look at doing etched grills for the 91/1 conversions which had extra ones added. I just need to learn how to draw properly!

• 2 weeks later...

I could do it myself, I've already measured up and drawn up the front grill and side skirts (the PH ones are only correct for certain locos, if you look at them there are differences between locomotives on certain sides).

If it is any use to anybody I did a bit of research on the topic of the side skirts when PH Designs first released their kit as I am converting a Hornby 91 into a 91/1 as a bit of a backburner project. Although I do not have the paperwork with me here, as I recall the different side skirts (left and right hand sides) are actually more straight forward than it often can be the case. The first ten (91101-91110) locos sport one pattern of side skirt whilst the balance of the locos (91111 - 91132) which were built slightly later sport the revised version of the skirt.

The main difference on the left hand side is the rear most column, which on 91101-91110 has the lower three grooves full length and the highest one slightly shorter and also the minor panel mark just above on the body side:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14581588@N05/8280379429/

On 91111-91132 there is no panel in the bodywork and the top two horizontal grooves are the slightly shorter length:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penske666photography/8270224944/

On the right hand side of the loco the difference is in the middle  column of grooves. On 91101-91110 the lower three horizontal grooves are the full width and again there is that panel in the body work just above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lereddog/7650641196/

On locos 91111-91132 the panel in the body work is not there, and as on the left hand side only the lowest two horizontal grooves are the full length, the upper two being the much shorter length:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotosonline/5823940350/

The Hornby 91/0 as it comes has the horizontal grooves correct for the initial batch of locos (91101-91110) but without the bodyside panel markings. Whereas the PH Designs kit is essentially correct for locos xxx11 upwards. The only significant error (which is incorrect for all 31 locos if I recall correctly) is on the right hand side etch, where the top two horizontal grooves on the rear most column have part of the horizontal seperation at the rear missing (see the last two pics above) in real life - making a sort of squat but stretched [ shape. This however is probably easily sorted with a sharp blade.

Hope that all makes some sense and is some use to anybody.

Hi Graeme,

That's incredibly useful, thanks very much for taking the time to post that detailed reply. Yes I'd read recently about the first 10 being tested before the green light was given on the remaining 21 - so that explains the differences. I wonder if there are any differences in other respects, maybe internally on in the cabs.

How are you doing the extra bodyside vents on your 91/1 project? I'd be interested to see some photos of it when you're on with it. 

I had the urge to do some painting this week so I stripped down an old class 90 body and got to work on it. I don't even like DBS livery and it's too modern for my layout so it'll probably end up on ebay but I quite like how the model is turning out...

imag1066h.jpg

Hi Graeme,

That's incredibly useful, thanks very much for taking the time to post that detailed reply. Yes I'd read recently about the first 10 being tested before the green light was given on the remaining 21 - so that explains the differences. I wonder if there are any differences in other respects, maybe internally on in the cabs.

How are you doing the extra bodyside vents on your 91/1 project? I'd be interested to see some photos of it when you're on with it. 

Hi Ash,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm afriad I have yet to make a constructive start to the project due in main to the problem of the additional bodyside vents. I have two possible ideas but not really sold on either yet. My first idea is to use a second body and cut the grills out of that body and use them to make the additional grills on the modified model, problem being the extra grills are not all the same size. My second idea is similar, but instead only use the outer frame of the grills and replace all the vents with vertical etched grills from an A1 models detailing pack, there is a class 37 that looks like the etchings may be appropriate.

The other issue which is delaying me is the pantograph, I had been hoping the Hurst ones would come back into stock but they have been out for a while. So I am trying to think of an idea for replacing the Hornby pantograph, still not really sure what to do there. In the mean time I have made a start on doing the DVT with the wifi dome instead, and will then move onto filling the windows on the Mk4 coaches to make them Mallard spec.

Hi Ash,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm afriad I have yet to make a constructive start to the project due in main to the problem of the additional bodyside vents. I have two possible ideas but not really sold on either yet. My first idea is to use a second body and cut the grills out of that body and use them to make the additional grills on the modified model, problem being the extra grills are not all the same size. My second idea is similar, but instead only use the outer frame of the grills and replace all the vents with vertical etched grills from an A1 models detailing pack, there is a class 37 that looks like the etchings may be appropriate.

The other issue which is delaying me is the pantograph, I had been hoping the Hurst ones would come back into stock but they have been out for a while. So I am trying to think of an idea for replacing the Hornby pantograph, still not really sure what to do there. In the mean time I have made a start on doing the DVT with the wifi dome instead, and will then move onto filling the windows on the Mk4 coaches to make them Mallard spec.

Hi Graeme,

I see your dilemma, I don't think the grills would be a difficult thing to get etched up so if I get any further with it I'll let you know. Replacing all the existing grills along with new ones would be the best way to go.

Cav (RBE) on here scratchbuilt a superb looking pantograph for a class 90 - details on this thread here. It's a bit out of my reach skill-wise at the moment but something I want to have a go at when my soldering skills improve. Definitely worth a look.

Be interested to see how you do the wifi dome on the DVT as well, as I'm thinking of doing a full rake of ex-GNER East Coast mk4's so would be a neat addition to have.

Finished my DBS 90 - it's on ebay now though as I want to raise some cash for some camera equipment. I won't put the link here as I'm sure it's against the rules but there won't be any others on there so if you want to find it you can.

img7351v.jpg
img7354jc.jpg
img7355o.jpg

I also used Shawplan lazerglaze for the side windows for the first time, looks nice. Kept the windscreen as the Shawplan ones don't have frames and the red frames are quite distinctive.

Also changed the buffers since the earlier photos. Quite happy with it and have enough transfers left over to do another, I'm tempted as I quite enjoyed it.

Nope it's just a standard body with a few bits added, the aero fins behind the cab roofs and the full depth valance & pipework (at one end). The arrangement below the lights/horn grill has also been updated to how they are now by filing off the wire running to the recessed part and fitting a new recess made from plasticard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graeme,

I see your dilemma, I don't think the grills would be a difficult thing to get etched up so if I get any further with it I'll let you know. Replacing all the existing grills along with new ones would be the best way to go.

Be interested to see how you do the wifi dome on the DVT as well, as I'm thinking of doing a full rake of ex-GNER East Coast mk4's so would be a neat addition to have.

Hi Ash,

The grills would definetly be something that I would be interested in if you do get anywhere with them.

As for the wi-fi dome, a few years ago I found these wooden bits in HobbyCraft - I think that they are intended for dolls houses or something similar but I reckon they would do the job just fine. I have got two different sizes as I was not sure which was the better fit when I was in the store so got both to cover my basis as they were only a couple of pounds each. Here they are sitting on top of a DVT to give an idea of their size and appearance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44180120@N03/8691544665

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44180120@N03/8692661784

Looking at pictures of the real thing I think the smaller size one is probably the one to go with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_153/6308520374/in/faves-44180120@N03/

Sunking into the roof enough and painted an off white colour it should look okay, not sure I can quite achieve the semi-see through nature of the real things though.

Graeme

Archived