Lima mk3 wheel problem.

Hi my mk3 Lima coaches had rough wheels that sounded as they where derailed when they we not. I replaced these with Hornby mk3 wheels but they didn't fit the bogies properly. I have tried replacing the bogies with the new Hornby mk3 bogies and the old ones and still it won't work. Cam anyone help me get these coaches to work.

From memory, I think Lima axles were 24mm while the standard for 00 is 26mm. Will Hornby wheels fit on the Lima axle? If not, you could try drilling the bogies out using this:

http://www.micromark...Tuner,8241.html

A more complicated fix would be to build an etched bogie and use the Mk 3 bogie sides as cosmetic overlays. Such as this: http://www.brassmast...k/bogie_CUs.htm

HTH

John

Have a look at this:

http://www.rmweb.co....d-lima-coaches/

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I wanted to ask a follow up question to this - I have decided to replace the wheels on my Lima Mk3s for Hornby R8096 wheels. As above, the axles are too tight. I have milled out the bogies using the Micro Mark truck tuner listed above, but the wheels are still very tight and do not rotate freely. They won't even freewheel one rotation if I push them by hand (if that makes sense). 

I would imagine that a little oil will help, but is there any other way of milling out the axles further? 

thanks

So, I assume you are using 26mm axles.  I would have thought the tuner should drill such that from pinpoint to pinpoint it is 26mm.  It has certainly worked well for me when I've built something too tight, even with brass bearings.  If you've gone as far as you are comfortable (at some point there is a danger of breaking through the axlebox), then perhaps you need the bogie kit I mentioned earlier.  You can glue the Lima bogie sides to the bogie.

John

Replacement wheelsets for Lima are available, but usually I just fit new wheels to the Lima axles*. Lima wheels are 11.5mm in diameter (1 metre in H0 scale), so there is a slight difference in ride height.

* Most wheels will fit (2mm diameter), but some older wheels fit a smaller diameter axle (about 1.9mm diameter or 15 S.W.G.). The axles are usually 24.5mm long, but I think some vary.

My experience of Lima bogie plastic is that it is not happy being drilled, filed or glued. The original wheelsets run very freely however, even if the concentricity of the insulated wheels sometimes is not quite what one would wish - later wheels are generally better. The main problem lies in deep flanges and an awful wheel profile.

Replacement wheelsets for Lima are available, but usually I just fit new wheels to the Lima axles*. Lima wheels are 11.5mm in diameter (1 metre in H0 scale), so there is a slight difference in ride height.

* Most wheels will fit (2mm diameter), but some older wheels fit a smaller diameter axle (about 1.9mm diameter or 15 S.W.G.). The axles are usually 24.5mm long, but I think some vary.

My experience of Lima bogie plastic is that it is not happy being drilled, filed or glued. The original wheelsets run very freely however, even if the concentricity of the insulated wheels sometimes is not quite what one would wish - later wheels are generally better. The main problem lies in deep flanges and an awful wheel profile.

See www.dckits-devideos.co.uk for a full range of Lima replacement wheelsets, 12mm dia is what you require.   01132 563415 Ask for Charlie

Hi my mk3 Lima coaches had rough wheels that sounded as they where derailed when they we not. I replaced these with Hornby mk3 wheels but they didn't fit the bogies properly. I have tried replacing the bogies with the new Hornby mk3 bogies and the old ones and still it won't work. Cam anyone help me get these coaches to work.

Another option is to source wheels/axle sets from the later produced Lima coaches, they had a plastic axle on which the stub axled wheels were pushed into, and more importantly much finer flanges than will run OK on code 75. It's also possible to alter the gauge slightly with these if necessary. The early Lima MK3's/stock had horrible "pizza cutter" flanged wheels 

HTH 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning on running Code 75 so really need replacement wheels. Some of the suggestions above are horribly expensive - I wasn't banking on spending an extra £5 per coach! As I'm using the new Hornby HST with them and have double motored 2 of my 3 sets (i.e. both DMBs are powered), I think I'll have to deal with the tight wheels. They aren't just being replaced because of the look or the running, but also because the coaches are 2mm lower than the HSTs with the wrong wheels! 

• RMweb Premium

It sounds a very coarse solution, but put them in a power drill (or lathe if you've access to one) and use a file to reduce the height of the flange. Gently rounding off the tip of the flange. You only need to remove 0.5mm or so.

Works on Mk3's, 156's, Mk2's, PCA's 101's etc. I've had no problem on code 75.

Having said that, my original Lima Mk3 wheels were replaced with those supplied via Charlie Petty with the short axles.

Cheers,

Mick

Turning down the original wheels is always an option - the half millimetre difference is within wear tolerance and I would doubt the difference in ride height is noticeable anyway. The insulated wheel is fairly easy to remove from the axle (unlike the uninsulated one) and can be fitted to a spare axle for turning.

Could the reason for Hornby wheels still being tight after the attentions of the Truck Tuner be due to this being intended for NMRA axles, which are 1" long? Extra pressure on the sideframes might give the extra 0.6mm.

• RMweb Premium

Turning down the original wheels is always an option - the half millimetre difference is within wear tolerance and I would doubt the difference in ride height is noticeable anyway. The insulated wheel is fairly easy to remove from the axle (unlike the uninsulated one) and can be fitted to a spare axle for turning.

The 0.5 mm taken off the flange toe doesn't affect the tread diameter and therefore ride height remains the same.

Cheers,

Mick

Could the reason for Hornby wheels still being tight after the attentions of the Truck Tuner be due to this being intended for NMRA axles, which are 1" long? Extra pressure on the sideframes might give the extra 0.6mm.

when I put the truck tuner next to the Hornby wheels if anything the truck tuner seems wider! 

The 0.5 mm taken off the flange toe doesn't affect the tread diameter and therefore ride height remains the same.

Cheers,

Mick

I intended the original Lima wheel diameter (11.5mm) which is ½ mm undersize compared to the correct scale equivalent. As you say tuning down the flanges will not affect ride height.

• RMweb Premium

I intended the original Lima wheel diameter (11.5mm) which is ½ mm undersize compared to the correct scale equivalent. As you say tuning down the flanges will not affect ride height.

Ah ok.

And when you consider the diameter in relation to ride height, it only affects it by 0.25mm - which equates to 3/4" in 4mm scale. As you say - well within normal wear and tear tolerances and not worth worrying about.

Cheers,

Mick

when I put the truck tuner next to the Hornby wheels if anything the truck tuner seems wider! 

That would put paid to my suggestion!

(I use a 2mm drill and fit brass bearings myself - I'm not keen on plastic as a bearing material, though it doesn't seem to be a problem with Lima .)

Ok so I have milled out another bogie. This time once the truck tuner was in and I had it rotating a bit I used one hand to press the two sides together firmly and then used the other side to continue turning the truck tuner. this seems to have made the wheels turn a little bit more freely, but not much. I think a little lubrication is probably in order. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

• RMweb Gold

Lima bogies shouldn't need lubrication if used with metal axles, the nylon that they are moulded from is slippery by nature. Make sure you haven't got swarf from the drilling still in the axle holes.

Andi

Archived