Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Hi Jules, looking good - I knew that crossing had bags of potential! If I may ask -  what have used for the wire on the Ratio fence posts - I tried thier own but couldn't get anything to 'stick' it to the posts!

Excellent progress on the dairy too, a good basis for further scenery.

Regards, Les

Thanks for the comment Les!

Like you, I found it very difficult to get the wire to stick to the post.  My current method is to drill holes in the post and feed the wire through.  It's a bit time consuming and fiddly, but it does make it less prone to damage once fitted.

I think somewhere back in the history of this thread when I mentioned this method before, something called (if I remember correctly) Easywire was mentioned, which is thinner and can be wrapped round the post instead. I image this gives a strength like my method, but quicker to do!

Hope that helps

Jules

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules

Spent an idyllic morning yesterday, before the Rugby and Super Bowl, reading your thread from start to finish..........absolutely fascinating.........dont understand how it slipped off my radar!

I didnt want to clutter your in box with too many "like" notifications but I was sorely tempted. Despite the relatively small layout you have created a very spacious feel.......exactly how I feel a sleepy GWR country branch should be. I do admire your use of detailing.....not overdone but sufficient to clearly stamp time, place and company.

I also admire the way you strive after accuracy........after the post about hand point levers I rushed downstairs to check mine.....I fear Mike will not be totally impressed. 

Wonderful layout......thank you for sharing it

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jules.

Not been on here for a bit so your shed-dairy conversion is a delight to see.  And magnificent landscaping too, even if not yet finished.  And it's GWR...What more can you want?

Do keep the posts and pictures coming.  It's so inspiring and I've got a lot to learn and a long way to go. :yes:

Polly

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words (and likes!), especially about the landscaping, as that is something which I am never completely happy with.  

I have this idea in my head of what I want it to look like, but by the time that gets to my hands it seems to come out a bit different!  I think I also visualise something, but when it comes to implement it, I find the space is less than I thought.  That could obviously be overcome by better planning, something I really need to remember next time I extend or build a new layout.  

Still, 'everyday's a school day' and it's only by trying these things that you learn what works and what doesn't (wrinkley backscenes for a start!).

I'll keep the posts and pictures coming  - as and when I do something! :) 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The dairy has turned out very well Jules. Well done.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, there is one thing that I think you could easily do which would improve the look scenically. Your fences could do with some extra growth along the bottom especially around the posts and perhaps a few bushes or small trees along the fence line. This would give your scenery more depth and interest.

Something along these lines (hope you don't mind me posting a photo in your thread), a few sprigs of woodland scenics fine foliage planted along the fence line and some coarse or lumpy scatter material along the bottom of the fence line. Maybe a few dabs of pva on the fence post and along the fence rails with some fine scatter to represent climbing growth.

post-7649-0-84233100-1360091974.jpg

Hope it helps

• Like 15

Nick, helpful pictures are always welcome, thanks for posting it.  

The pic is a bit of inspiration, that is what I am aiming for as I develop the scenery. At the moment I am trying to get a basic landscape in place, so that I can then add the extra bits to, as you rightly point out, give it more depth and feature.  I feel a trip to the local model shop coming on to source some of the items you suggest!

Thanks

Jules

• RMweb Gold

The lighting on the photo is poor Jules and doesn't show that there are about four different shades of green used. Although I use Woodland Scenics I also use a lot of Jarvis scatters for variety and they are cheaper.

Turning back through 180 degrees...

I have built the signal protecting the level crossing.  It is one of Ratios 'easy build' GW home signals.  While the actual building is easy, getting the operating mechanism to work properly was a bit time consuming.  I think I have got it just about working ok, although it might need a bit of prompting to return to the fully horizontal position.

I haven't installed it yet, just placed it for a picture, I need to put the fence in behind it first before fixing it and connecting the operating string.

post-148-0-34885400-1360419255.jpg

Another one of these for the starting signal, a bracket signal (I can already foresee that one being a pain to build...) and some ground signals and all I will need then is the signal box!

I have also purchased some more variety of scatter and shrub material so can hopefully add a bit more feature to the landscape.

• Like 10

Moving swiftly on...for a change!

The starting signal is temporarily placed in position - exciting stuff  :lol_mini:

post-148-0-22787500-1360424174.jpg

post-148-0-29921200-1360424178.jpg

post-148-0-56151500-1360424166.jpg

Apologies for the lighting - the room is north facing and as it is rather gloomy I put a lamp on which accounts for the colour

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing on the path of minor progress...

I have painted and placed the ground signals on the layout, and have completed about 50% of the fencing.  The fencing is all complete on the far side of the layout, and the majority of the posts are in place on the nearside.  Unfortunately my local model shop had run out of the GW lineside fencing (someone had been in about an hour before me and bought all their stock!), so I will have to wait until they get some more before completing the posts and adding the wire.  That is certainly a job I'm looking forward to completing!!

I still have quite a bit on the scenics to do - but it's beginning to come together.

A few of the usual slightly ropey pictures follow...

This one is looking towards the crossing keepers box - I have been attempting to print the name board for the front, but so far have been unsuccessful - not sure if it is the font/program I am using, or the printer.  Or both.  Looking at this pic, I'm also not sure about the 'hole in the wall' style of entry into the fiddle yard, certainly not from this angle.

f1.JPG.a6a048a5a5a142c960ab039fdbaa05df.JPG

The fence looking the other way 

f2.JPG.cea1ae4e766081fb506af5ec36f4abfb.JPG

A close-up of the dairy gate

f3.JPG.103b3741e882ac08a321bb32dcfd0585.JPG

a close up of the crossing

f4.JPG.1ec8a4ee5a557e94a5ed9f3fa83cd24e.JPG

The dairy in 'sunlight'

f5.JPG.2d4a5f492965cd8750b60f42df2a705f.JPG

The pannier waits  for the road

Pt1.JPG.7d23180e8677fd58d026833b9fe660f1.JPG

Pt2.JPG.2e3b0dfc9c8f32ee685f70cfa64211ed.JPG

pt3.JPG.885a4a281b78400039b19d8325e86acb.JPG

Looking back at the station

Pt4.JPG.8d719898f64e97bb22f60111769050ee.JPG

s1.JPG.2be6bc8e0e6d96f70b8a9a7d2747318a.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 17

Hi Jules

All comming together nicely. Nice to see some differtent angles. I'm sure you will come up with something for the 'hole on the wall'! Some cleverly placed trees perhaps..

Regards, Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules,

I've just 'discovered' your layout thread and I must say you've created a delightful layout here. I'm glad you're getting around to the signalling now, as I'm sure a station of that size would have had a signal box and signalled track layout in GWR days (might have been rationalised and reduced to 'One Engine in Steam' in the BR period, though). Well done also on the interiors of your signal box and crossing keepers box, nicely done!

One point I would like to make, though, in the spirit of constructive comments, is that the height of signals (and indeed their specific placing) would be done with the sighting of that signal by the loco driver in mind. He needs to spot it in all weathers and poor visibility, as well as on a sunny day. For that reason, I'm just wondering if the station starter and that protecting the level crossing might just be a tad too high? Not the end of the world if you decide not to change it, just an observation.  :)

• Like 2

Thank you all for the likes, and comments.

Captain, I'm always grateful for constructive comments (the signalling is a result of Mike 'The Stationmasters' comments).  I have to admit, I just assembled the Ratio signals without considering their height and sighting, but now you have pointed it out, they do seem a bit high!

I'm not sure how easy they will be to modify now they are assembled, so they may well remain as they are for now with a view to replacement in the future.  

As I still have to assemble the bracket signal for the entrance to the platform/loop, I will bear the height in mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the likes, and comments.

Captain, I'm always grateful for constructive comments (the signalling is a result of Mike 'The Stationmasters' comments).  I have to admit, I just assembled the Ratio signals without considering their height and sighting, but now you have pointed it out, they do seem a bit high!

I'm not sure how easy they will be to modify now they are assembled, so they may well remain as they are for now with a view to replacement in the future.  

As I still have to assemble the bracket signal for the entrance to the platform/loop, I will bear the height in mind.

Signalling still needs one or two minor mods Jules (the ground signals) but looking pretty good.

• Like 1

Hi 81C thanks for the comment

I had thought of having something waiting at the crossing, a lorry (or maybe horse and cart?) sounds like a good idea.

I haven't got any other projects planned for the layout (yet!), I need to finish the scenery, but after that I think it will be adding details (a few more people, point rodding (when the new Wills stuff is available)) and things like that.  I have considered modifying the wiring to allow two trains to be in the station (goods and passenger) which would just need a few switches adding, and replacing the double slip with either a live frog version, or doing away with it all together, as it is slightly troublesome.  Actually, that does sound like a couple of projects!!

I also really need to add a bit of weathering to all the stock - while I don't want it to be filthy, a bit of 'in-use' dirt would improve the overall look.

Cheers

Jules

• RMweb Gold

Now that you've spent the time making them up, I can understand your reluctance to take them apart again. It's probably not a particularly difficult job, but certainly time-consuming, so I'd agree that leaving them as they are is probably best for the moment. If you do decide to replace them in the future, you'll probably find another project can use them in due course!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't done anything on the layout since the last update - I've just been enjoying operating it.

What I have done recently is an attempt to improve the Hornby Railroad GW brake coach, inspired by a post on here - I think it was on Wencombe.

It basically consists on slimming down the black ends so they fit between the sides rather than on the end of them, replacing the long molded handrails with wire and replacing the roof vents.

I found in my box of bits a couple of vacuum cylinders, brake hangers and dynamo, so add ed those.  It was only after fixing them in place I realised my schoolboy error - the floor is lowered at that point for the weight!  So the actuating arm had to be removed, but I have left the rest even though it hangs a bit low.  I also replaced the buffers.

coach1.JPG.a098bb57283cb5caad76ab4c5420264b.JPG

coach2.JPG.5f4172cdb363bb1f6bf1942a95b5c345.JPG

coach3.JPG.61c952398b99c8bc39a574979e919479.JPG

After studying a few pictures, it looked like the footboards along the length of the coach should be a bit higher, not along the bottom edge, so I removed the molded ones and added new ones about two thirds of the way up.  They looked quite level without the body on...

coach4.JPG.f3b12b2712535d64f929e5fdfa1cc93f.JPG

However, once the body was on, it shows a rather obvious bowing towards the centre - the other side is worse so I'm not going to show that!

coach5.JPG.c41985dfdc03536a76f9f4862e4fd767.JPG

coach6.JPG.5f726696cab1bae5e0a6cfc7803693c8.JPG

I have yet to do the end hand rails - I've had two attempts but failed to get them right, so I will return to them.

So, was it worth the effort?  Parts of it!  I think doing the ends, handrails, roof vents and buffers makes a difference.  I think the rest is perhaps wasted effort, especially as I messed it up a bit.  Still, it's all good experience...

Edited by Jules
  • Like 15

Hi Jules

Some smashing pics again. The 52 certainly looks a big at Mayshill! I.m waiting for a BR one - for quarry trains. It's nice to see the dairy and the rest of the extension coming along nicely too.

Regards

Les

• Like 1

Thanks Les - the 52 is completely out of place but I rather like the brutish size of the real thing after seeing and riding behind them on various preserved lines.  

I know other people have had a few issues with theirs, but mine rather beautifully out of the box (with no running in) and it is a joy to shunt with.  I think the fly-wheel helps with the smooth running, shame more steam locos aren't fitted with them.  I just need to get some brass cabside plates, stick some real coal in the bunker and add a crew then it will be ready for more running-in turns!