Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Thanks for the 'likes' and comments - always much appreciated.

Les - the wagon tarpaulins are indeed the Smiths ones.  It is quite a while since I fitted them, and I don't remember any particular problems in fitting them.  I seem to remember fitting them round the wagon body and folding the sheet sheet to the correct shape, and running my finger along the folds to make the creases obvious. I then removed the sheet from the wagon, and again ran my finger over the folds/creases to really define them.  I then put them back on the wagon, and I glued in place using Bostick, held in place with fingers until set.

I seem to remember the sheet over the bar was quite a challenge, and that one might have been a bit on the small side - perhaps that is why the other two do not have a raised rail!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the 'likes' and comments - always much appreciated.

Les - the wagon tarpaulins are indeed the Smiths ones.  It is quite a while since I fitted them, and I don't remember any particular problems in fitting them.  I seem to remember fitting them round the wagon body and folding the sheet sheet to the correct shape, and running my finger along the folds to make the creases obvious. I then removed the sheet from the wagon, and again ran my finger over the folds/creases to really define them.  I then put them back on the wagon, and I glued in place using Bostick, held in place with fingers until set.

I seem to remember the sheet over the bar was quite a challenge, and that one might have been a bit on the small side - perhaps that is why the other two do not have a raised rail!

A timely tip, for which thanks.  I bought several Smith's tarpaulins at the Manchester show the other week, so a job for the new year.

Love to see the sequential shots of shunting at Mayshill.  Good stuff.

John.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Jules

Always good to see updates from Mayshill.

Is the grain wagon a new addition? I like the look of these, but don't think one would ever have ended up at the end of my BLT. Still rule 1 and all that!

Regards

Les 

• Like 1

Hi Jules

Always good to see updates from Mayshill.

Is the grain wagon a new addition? I like the look of these, but don't think one would ever have ended up at the end of my BLT. Still rule 1 and all that!

Regards

Les 

Hi Les

The grain wagon is a new old wagon!  I had it (two actually) on my old layout but it was in BR livery. During a tidy up the railway room, I sort of rediscovered it, changed the BR lettering for NE and put it back in service.

As you say, unlikely to have ever turned up on a sleepy GW branch line, but as you say, rule 1!  I think if I was to operate Mayshill in true prototypical style, I would soon get bored, hence the unusual and exotic make the odd appearance.

Jules

• Like 6

Very nice.. Looks like it was a busy day!

Hi Scott,

It always amazes me the amount of goods traffic generated by this small terminus - the must be a lot of industry off scene!

Jules

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, good to see some action on Mayshill. I do like those views across the field to the diary.

In the last picture, is that a fallen-over snowman in the front garden?  :pardon:

• Like 1

Hi Jules, good to see some action on Mayshill. I do like those views across the field to the diary.

In the last picture, is that a fallen-over snowman in the front garden?  :pardon:

obviously it's the village drunk sleeping off a bender

obviously it's the village drunk sleeping off a bender

:) I hadn't noticed that! He was standing up, but I think I knocked the baseboard.  Or he's drunk!

(He is not fixed down as I use him to measure heights for, walls, hedges etc!)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As there have been a couple of wet evenings/mornings over the last couple of days, I have had the chance to perform a minor upgrade to an old Triang/Hornby Clerestory coach.

P1080486.JPG.375ac53465ea3aff8d8127e136991491.JPG

I cannot remember how I found it, but came across this site.  After having a browse, I decided to purchase a couple of the Dean 8'6" bogies to see what they would be like as replacements for the BR Mk1 bogies as fitted.

First thing to do, was take the coach apart, remove the brass rivet and bin the old bogies.  Next, fit brass bearings and wheels to the new printed bogies and trial fit.

All seemed ok!

P1080487.JPG.e018f2e534a1984ecee8ca00ede81631.JPG

P1080488.JPG.aec1c617939dac53ca7c630313c12a91.JPG

The bogies were then painted, and the coach re-assembled.

After comparing it to another original coach, it was riding a bit high, so off with the bogies, remove a bit of the moulded boss on the underframe and refit!

P1080515.JPG.12574f8aab911c8ec87a336151bb886c.JPG

P1080516.JPG.794ef931b4e716aaa8720434579d0e4e.JPG

I also added some internal partitions to break up the empty view through the carriage.  It really needs a repaint to match the other coaches, but it will do for now!

Edited by Jules
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, Jules. Interesting to see the bogies being tried out, I have being eyeing them for a while. Apart from the height issue - which seems an easy fix - do they run and pivot OK? 

• Like 1

Hi Mikkel

Yes the do run and pivot well.

I did have a couple of issues with them: 

1. The axle boxes were completely missing on one side of one bogie!  Fortunately, I had a couple of spares from a wagon kit (as the coaches are too short I don't think anyone will notice the wrong axle boxes!) The printed axle boxes seem to be attached by only the thinnest bit of plastic, so I can see how they might have got knocked off.

2. To ensure the wheels/axles didn't slop around too much, the brass bearings shouldn't be pushed all the way home.

Will I treat my other two clerestories to them?  I'm undecided at the moment.  While they improve the look no-end, I'm not sure I'm convinced about the overall quality to justify spending the money.

Jules

• 5 months later...

Another few months or so pass... :)

Not a lot too report from Mayshill.

The latest inappropriate addition to the wagon fleet is a sausage van!

I picked up one on a whim at the Taunton show, and then looked at how I could upgrade the chassis.  I found that the same 'shop' on Shaapeways that I obtained the bogies in the post above did a one piece chassis.  So a few clicks and a couple of days later, it popped through the door.

Here is a pic of the chassis and in the dairy

post-148-0-58984500-1543228732_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-51390700-1543228773_thumb.jpg

For more pics, see this thread  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139560-gwr-palethorpes-vans/?p=3378263

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy Christmas!

I thought I would end the year with a quick update on a few things that have been happening on Mayshill.

Firstly, the 'B' set has had a couple of minor additions.  I have added the tie-bars on the bogies and set allocation name on the end.

attachicon.gifP1090070.JPG

The transfers came from Railtec transfers whose service I can highly recommend (enquired at 7pm on a Wednesday evening, custom transfers delivered on Saturday!)

From the same source, I got some transfers to give Mayshill its own allocated TOAD

attachicon.gifP1090071.JPG

I finally got round to mostly finishing off the cottage by the 'White House'.  I'm not sure a pigsty is that common for a back garden but I found some piggies in my bits box (probably Merit items from my very first layout!) so thought I would use them.

attachicon.gifP1090072.JPG

I have also added a post box and postman to Frog Lane, and a bicycle propped against the wall.

attachicon.gifP1090074.JPG

attachicon.gifP1090075.JPG

Lastly, a bit of work by the signal box, an outside loo, random hut, the Signalman's motorbike and a cat!

attachicon.gifP1090076.JPG

Not included in the photos is another small prairie, renumbered as 4588, bringing the total to four, which should be enough!

Thannks for looking

Nice! Agree with you about Railtec - top notch!

John C.

• Like 1