Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Thanks Les and Mikkel.

It is quite sobering to think ten years have passed, and all that has happened in those ten years.

Thank goodness for model railways to keep you sane!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I always like to see pictures of your layout. The barn scene is lovely.

I have not looked frequently the past several months, due personal circumstances and doing research for my collection of Oxford cars.

Wish you a nice Christmas holiday and a good and healthy 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Bustered said:

Jules,

a great layout and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching its progress over the years; well done!

Best wishes

Nige

3 hours ago, Job's Modelling said:

I always like to see pictures of your layout. The barn scene is lovely.

I have not looked frequently the past several months, due personal circumstances and doing research for my collection of Oxford cars.

Wish you a nice Christmas holiday and a good and healthy 2020.

Nige - Thanks for the compliment :)

Job - Thanks also for the compliment. I hope whatever your personal circumstances were/are have got better.  You have a good Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020 too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another post...

As mentioned just upthread, another of my NEC purchases was a Ratio Open C.

I have just finished my first pass at it's construction! Why first pass?  The instructions are somewhat basic - so I have messed up the brake gear.  This will need to be corrected at some point.  This hasn't been my favorite kit to make, it certainly shows it's age compared to other kits, but as its the only current way to get an Open C, it does the job.

OC1.JPG.242f61f327a3e6c8beee371eda88eb11.JPG

OC2.JPG.1600a38f77c53294830dc90a4b3d558f.JPG

I have also done a small upgrade to the V7 - I have replaced the tie bar with a slimmer section of plastic bar.

v7-3.JPG.db221fe83e13fdd4043d899c26019258.JPG

Both now need a trip to the painters!

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple more items of rolling stock from the 'NEC collection'!

Two K's Low Siphons.  Not the most detailed kits by modern standards, but go together well.  I have added vacuum pipes, I now need to source some brake handles as these are not present in the kit.

Both still need painting - the different colours are due to different plastic used in manufacture.

P1090820.JPG.a9b1d8e23eb77653093f41c0620694d6.JPG

P1090821.JPG.56c8ef11793e57715dc04a3fb1a774c4.JPG

P1090819.JPG.48692e4aa1c3537919d81b1807d290b3.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 10

For the middle axle, I put a couple of coach wheels on a piece of hollow brass tube and then a piece of steel wire through the brass tube into the axle box.

Hopefully the picture below helps..

P1090822.JPG.29f6fee7ffc71b1e50717fbed113fb61.JPG

It might have been better to use wagon wheels (12 ish mm instead of 14 ish mm), but the solebars are too stiff to try and change them now!

Edited by Jules
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/01/2020 at 12:51, Jules said:

For the middle axle, I put a couple of coach wheels on a piece of hollow brass tube and then a piece of steel wire through the brass tube into the axle box.

Hopefully the picture below helps..

P1090822.JPG.2439a0adb0cf9f51be588a206b642702.JPG

It might have been better to use wagon wheels (12 ish mm instead of 14 ish mm), but the solebars are too stiff to try and change them now!

Thanks.  A very simple solution. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2010 at 23:52, Jules said:

Not quite!

It is in Gloucestershire (well - it's South Gloucestershire these days) just south of Yate, or north of Coalpit heath if you prefer, on the A432.

There are about 4 houses there and it is more of a rise than a hill biggrin.gif

Hi Jules,

apologies for being almost 10 years "late" and for a bit of a ramble OT now. A while ago I came across your Topic and now after reading back and looking at some old maps, I realised that "Mayshill" did not have a GWR station being such a tiny place. Your latest pics triggered me to  comment.

I was amused by your use of "Frog Lane", it struck a chord! Having explored some of my ancestry, many generations of my family worked as labourers at Frog Lane Farm, Coalpit Heath which still operates today. They were even living at #1 Frog Lane during one census I've accessed. Remarkably for the 1800s they all lived very long, presumably relatively healthy lives.  My Grandfather often spoke of someone he knew who lived at Mayshill but until now I'd never looked up where that was.

Frog Lane arcs around from the main road until it reaches Woodside Road to the South. It is closed off by the Farm now at the bottom and just beyond the turn if accessed from the North off the main road. In mining days, there was a colliery rail-line to the East. When we went there a few years ago and spoke to the Farmer, there were few remaining signs of earlier times. I imagine you know the area very well so thanks for the connection and trip down memory lane.

Colin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Jules,

apologies for being almost 10 years "late" and for a bit of a ramble OT now. A while ago I came across your Topic and now after reading back and looking at some old maps, I realised that "Mayshill" did not have a GWR station being such a tiny place. Your latest pics triggered me to  comment.

I was amused by your use of "Frog Lane", it struck a chord! Having explored some of my ancestry, many generations of my family worked as labourers at Frog Lane Farm, Coalpit Heath which still operates today. They were even living at #1 Frog Lane during one census I've accessed. Remarkably for the 1800s they all lived very long, presumably relatively healthy lives.  My Grandfather often spoke of someone he knew who lived at Mayshill but until now I'd never looked up where that was.

Frog Lane arcs around from the main road until it reaches Woodside Road to the South. It is closed off by the Farm now at the bottom and just beyond the turn if accessed from the North off the main road. In mining days, there was a colliery rail-line to the East. When we went there a few years ago and spoke to the Farmer, there were few remaining signs of earlier times. I imagine you know the area very well so thanks for the connection and trip down memory lane.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for sharing your connection with Frog Lane and Mayshill.

When I was looking for a name for the layout, I just picked something that was local to me and went from there!  The layout was never meant to represent a station serving Mayshill, it was just a name, and the layout exists 'somewhere in the west country'.

We often walk along the old mineral line to Frog Lane farm, and walk through the farmyard to Woodside road.  The farmer has a nice collection of old tractors!

I remember the remains of Frog Lane colliery from when I was a child, my Dad took me and my brother for a pock around in the late '70s.  At that point several of the old buildings remained as well as the slag tip.  The slag tip was reworked during the miners strike to provide coal for Aberthaw power station.  The buildings were removed I believe in the '80s, I think there is only one building remaining now.

Unfortunately, there are plans to build hundreds of houses on the fields bounded by the old mineral line, Roundways and Woodside road.  Not something anyone round here is looking forward too.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules. Great views of the layout, I like those shots of the curving track.

The Siphons look good, those K's kits were not bad for their time, I think.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Jules. Great views of the layout, I like those shots of the curving track.

The Siphons look good, those K's kits were not bad for their time, I think.

Thanks Mikkel,

I thought I would try sticking the camera in some different places to see what the results were like.  I might try a few more.

I think the K's kits were very good for their time - they are very easy to put together (7 parts excluding the wheels!), but they do lack a few details, such as brakes etc.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Job's Modelling said:

I enjoyed the scenic pictures of the layout.

You have created a lovely GWR scene in the last 10 years.

Thanks Job, it has taken a bit of time to get where it is today, but I am quite pleased with the result.  I have learnt new techniques etc, which hopefully I will remember when either updating Mayshill or creating a new layout.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2020 at 12:44, sjrixon said:

Now it needs to find some coaches too! 

Funny you should mention that...

3715 arrives with a couple of corridor coaches, not the usual stock, with a couple of vans in tow.

c1.JPG.53f25bfbaae1ec68fc0e9baea8125c15.JPG

c2.JPG.4c123e52a13ba535f7f62183e25c908b.JPG

The vans are removed to be put in the end on loading siding 

c3.JPG.725009e77ea49acd5fcb61aa8038d7bc.JPG

Waiting to depart again

c4.JPG.f79ae194270ba2e207a721b38ca029b5.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 13