Mayshill - GWR

Jules

• 1 month later...

It's about time for another periodic update from slumbering Mayshill!

I have been doing some changes to the dairy area - I was never completely happy with the layout, it didn't seem to fit quite right.  So I have had a bit of a re-arrangement and modification.

The existing arrangement looked like this:

P1090089.jpg.528b6146364191c518dd0e101c645a07.jpg

P1090325.jpg.a33f73d9c139821e2d66755de6c5689d.jpg

The new arrangement looks like this:

P1100198.JPG.44f2afd3ca7a1f37d96229c47fca7575.JPG

P1100201.JPG.f0f5d8e68ac9f74c83ce557c520961dc.JPG

P1100202.JPG.d57216f5d46e8e5e141d40f0cadaaf60.JPG

I have:

1. Cut the canopy back so it covers the loading platform and about half of the wagon to be loaded

2. Rotated the building that was against the back-scene and put it against the end of the main building

3. Put the boiler house in the space vacated by action 2

4. Extended the loading platform to the right

5. Added a vent type thing to the roof

6. Moved the buffer stop to the right, giving a slightly longer siding

There is still a bit of tidying, and work to do in the far corner but I am generally quite pleased with the new arrangement.

Apart from that, not much else happening on the layout, lots of operating and a couple of additional kit built wagons added.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, good to see that Mayshill is still developing.

I like the changes. The old look with the extended canopy was interesting when the wagons were present, I think (because they were behind the supports) , but I can see how the new more open look makes for a better view when the wagons are away.

The roof vent really adds interest. Those things can be tricky to do, I find, but it's come out really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for the comments.

One of the reasons I cut back the canopy was that if a single wagon was shunted in, it could be tricky to uncouple it!  The other reason was that I'm not sure how common (if at all) a flat roof spanning the whole track would be.

The roof vent was actually very easy to do.  As described way back in the thread, the main dairy building was cobbled together from a couple of Airfix/Dapol engine shed kits, so the roof vents are just using the left over bits from the kit.  Why I didn't do this when I first made it I don't know!  It certainly finishes off the roof, it looked somewhat bare before.

One of these days I will get round to sorting out the backscene...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Jules said:

the main dairy building was cobbled together from a couple of Airfix/Dapol engine shed kits

Now you mention it I can see the pedigree.

That I hadn’t realised before shows how well you have converted it from one use to another.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking the same thing. It would be interesting to know just how many Airfix engine sheds became something else. That is one of the best I've seen, it wasn't until I looked closely to see how you had made the roof vent that the penny dropped.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

That is a V5 according to the article on the GWR modelling website, or very close. I have committed similar atrocities against grotty old clerestories and I'm surprised how well they came out. It reminds me that the PBV still needs buffers and couplings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a fine collection of Prairies. I used to have 3 but sold one due to the liver being lettered G W R and out of my time frame.  I might have to get another though with the roundel, it does look good on there.

several of mine were G W R, but after a few years of ownership I plucked up courage to re-letter them as Great Western or the roundel.  Same as with my two panniers (probably need a few more of them :) ).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm down to one prairie now, a 45xx with straight tanks, but it started off as a very cheap BR black version, I managed to get a new body lettered Great Western and sold the as new BR black body for what I paid for the green one.

I would prefer a 44xx with the low tanks if anyone decided to produce one.

• Like 2

An update on the images...

I have been through the whole thread and replaced the missing images where I can.  Much to my annoyance, there are quite a lot missing from my HDD and backup HDD - they mainly seem to be missing from 2011-2013.

Where I cannot find the missing images, I have added 'Images lost - not on HDD' to the post so that anyone looking at least knows I tried!

I am rather annoyed at myself for two reasons:

1. I haven't got all the images so have an incomplete record of the long development of Mayshill

2. My old filing system wasn't!  Fortunately my recent images have been filed logically, but the older stuff was completely random, so finding the missing images has been a pain. Lesson learnt.

While it has been a bit annoying having to reload the missing images (first world problem I know), it has been quite a pleasant journey going back to see the development of the layout, and looking at some posts with regard to things that I intended addressing ( the backscene being one...) that 5+ years are still waiting to be done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2022 at 18:30, MrWolf said:

That is a V5 according to the article on the GWR modelling website, or very close. I have committed similar atrocities against grotty old clerestories and I'm surprised how well they came out. It reminds me that the PBV still needs buffers and couplings.

Yes, that looks like a V5 to me too that you've built, Jules. The article Wolf refers to is here: http://www.gwr.org.uk/prov5.html

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you posting again Jules. Mayshill is looking good and the changes to the dairy are a definite improvement.

Some nice photos of your Prairies and Panniers, the middle one of the Pannier is very atmospheric.

Looking forward to more.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A Pannier never offends.

Except when I remember that I haven't gotten around to sawing the topfeeds off any of mine yet!

I keep looking at my panniers and think I should do something about the top feeds. I'm slowly working upto taking knife to plastic!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2022 at 17:44, Jules said:

I keep looking at my panniers and think I should do something about the top feeds. I'm slowly working upto taking knife to plastic!

Morning Jules, 

I have just had a catch up with Mayshill and enjoyed seeing the Pannier. It’s very satisfying to chop off the top feeds.

But of course, your photos have reminded me that I need to get the loco lamps off the workbench and onto the locos. 😎

• Funny 1