Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Hey what a great layout! I love the vibe you've captured.

I am still laying track, wiring and fixing servos to points and signals. I was actually looking for tips on Ratio signals when I came across your layout. I did smile to read your bracket signal fixed. My fist attempt was nearly in the bin yesterday. I too have had trouble with the peg on the rear of the board. The glue melts them!

Anyway, love the layout. Keep posting.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, I must have missed these when you posted them, they look really good. Especially the Mica. They clearly suit Mayshill really well, even before the painting!

Thanks Mikkel. They are now painted and partially lettered and earning their keep!

A few pictures of the small prairie going about its business are attached, seems like the local shed is hanging onto its supply of red lamps!

post-148-0-85447600-1390137295_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-32645600-1390137293_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-25110000-1390137287_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Hi John

I do add a bit of lead weight to the wagons, the vans have a bit more than the open as there is a lot more room in the body of the vans!

I don't weigh the lead, just add enough so it feels about right - slightly more than a r-t-r wagon.

I'm not sure if they really need it, but as built they are noticeably lighter than an r-t-r equivalent, I add it just 'to make sure'.

Hope that helps

Thanks Jules, I inquired because even with Bachmann rtr wagons-on which I tend to standardize-I get better running weighted. The kits seem far too light as built.

Here I can get 1/40z weights sold to weight American HO stock  and I add one or two, when in the UK I used fishing weights. They fit nicely into vans. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules

You've made a very good job of those wagon kits. I especially like the Mica and didn't realise that Parkside did those. There could be a new addition to Much murkle's roster soon afetr seeing yours.

As far as wagon weighting goes I managed to acquire some lead sheet left over from a building job and use that in small pieces glued under the floor wherever I can find the space. I aim to achieve a weight of 16-18 gram per axle both for kits and rtr wagons. 

As there has been a bit of talk about weighting wagons....here is a pic of the underside of the open C, shewing the lead I have squeezed in between the frame.  Each piece is a double thickness, and the three bits combined add upto quite a reasonable amount.

post-148-0-12105900-1390251491_thumb.jpg

Hope it is of interest!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Seasons Greetings!

I haven't done a huge amount on the layout recently, just added a couple of trees from sea foam - the first ones I have created using this stuff.  I think a bit more practice is required to get the best results!

Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to show the three latest additions to the Mayshill wagon fleet.

These are all from the latest Parkside releases, PC81 GW 10t open wagon, PC84 GW 10t goods van (MINK /MINK A) and the PC85 GW 6t Insulated van (MICA X7 ) 

These kits are excellent!  I have never had an real problems with the older PD kits, but these are even better.  All three wagons share the same basic underframe that go together easily with no messing about trying to get the solebars the correct distance apart.

A couple of views of the as built wagons - I built the Mink as a dia V12, the open as a dia O11 and the Mica as a an X7 (the only choice).

As can be seen, they need painting, and the Mica needs its end handrails forming and attaching - not something I am looking forward to!

attachicon.gifP1050192.JPG

attachicon.gifP1050193.jpg

If you fancy something a bit different from the r-t-r offerings, give one of these a go, well worth the couple of hours build process.

edit - to remove smiley thing!

Just to clarify, did you paint the Mica Van before putting on the decals? It's hard to tell since it was white to begin with.

I'll admit to being bone idle and just putting the transfers on the white plastic :)

My past efforts at painting large areas of white have been less than satisfactory, hence the lazy approach

• Like 1

I'll admit to being bone idle and just putting the transfers on the white plastic :)

My past efforts at painting large areas of white have been less than satisfactory, hence the lazy approach

I've got the 7mm version on the bench, in a half painted state, at the moment. I used Halfords white primer all over, then when the weather improves I'll mask the body and spray the chassis black.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The GWR MICA looks good Jules! You can also make the GWR X8 MICA from the PD kit. Only real differences is the brakes were upgraded to Morton Brakes and that a fourth middle step was put in. Cannot remember what other differences X7 and X8's had but in general they are virtually identical vans.

7972398840_ea79f71182_z.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for posting the picture, that's a very nicely restored wagon.

Looks like I need to repaint the roof on mine, the instructions were slightly vague saying 'white or more likely light grey'...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the picture, that's a very nicely restored wagon.

Looks like I need to repaint the roof on mine, the instructions were slightly vague saying 'white or more likely light grey'...

Not necessarily. I suggest you do whatever research you can first. Preserved vehicles get the livery that the owner believes looks right - based upon his own information or just preferences. Satisfy yourself that the GW really did have white roofs on these before you change your model.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I followed the link to this thread for your upgraded B set. Having flicked through a few pages, I'm going to come back and have a real read. This looks like a lovely little layout and very much in the vain that I would like to build one day. Very well done!

Thanks for the complement! 

I haven't done anything on the layout for months, the rather unexpected presence of a lady in my life has somewhat curtailed the modelling time! (not that I'm complaining...)

I still get chance to play operate it, but that's it for the time being :) 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jules, to my annoyance i have only just recently found this thread on RMWeb.... but have now read all 15 pages. Have to say that I think Mayshill is great! -  your modelling is giving me plenty of inspiration, and I am trying to put this to good use on my BR (WR/LMR) BLT layout - Sproston, thanks for sharing, I wish I could achieve your level of skill...

Regards

Sigtech (Steve)